No announcement yet.

Modern Fighters Can't Really Be Compared with Older Eras

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
    I watched the Thurman/Garcia fight in a hotel bar with assorted sports fans, not boxing fans, and had to remind someone about multiple belts and champions, and he rolled his eyes and said oh yeah, right. Like, "I remember why boxing sucks."

Most Americans (and maybe everyone else too, I don't know) want to find out who the best is in their sport. Best in their weight division. This makes sense in all sports -- except today's boxing. You get to see a real championship, a definite winner. Except in boxing.
    Hey, there's only one Superbowl champion each year. One World Series winner. One NBA champion each year. I know boxing is a more international sport, but it's quite ridiculous to expect fans to care when one the champion is isn't even clear. I don't know. Maybe boxing isn't a sport. More of a circus act. It's a real shame.

And I hear ya on trying to explain it to people. Their eyes glaze over like, "Yep. No one cares. Define a champion or get out of my face." And I don't blame them one bit.

Comment

Break down this complicated top ten to a casual fan.
      Oh wait.
      It speaks for itself.

RING Ratings February 1951

Champion: Jake LaMotta

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
      2. Laurent Dauthuille
      3. Dave Sands
      4. Randy Turpin
      5. Jimmy Beau
      6. Eugene Hairston
      7. Ray Barnes
      8. Robert Villemain
      9. Walter Cartier
      10. Paddy Young

Simple and to the point. No alphabets and no confusion.

Comment

Working...
      X