No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freedom.
    I don't watch TV though. I don't even have cable. Most people watch TV 4 or 5 nights week for a couple of hours. I watch 3-4 movies per week.
    you are a serious film buff dude... and i really admire the kind of films you are watching...

Comment

• Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
      you are a serious film buff dude... and i really admire the kind of films you are watching...
      tunney's a complex dude

i wont go through the last few pieces of media i saw

the nerd meter would skyrocket, and i've got my reputation as a tough guy to worry about

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        tunney's a complex dude

i wont go through the last few pieces of media i saw

the nerd meter would skyrocket, and i've got my reputation as a tough guy to worry about
        he may have his issues in the history section but here in the lounge i consider him elite...

Comment

Léon: The Professional 2/10

Jean Reno is a fine actor, but there was nothing else good about this one. Some people like senseless, unrealistic, over-the-top violence, but I don't.

The Seventh Seal (1957) 9.5/10

Brilliant. I can only imagine what Ingmar Bergman's movies would be like with modern technology.
          I dont think if Bergman made his films today they would be any different. They are about the human condition, faith, death and our complexity.

And i find it strange you seem to focus only the violence in Leon. When i think about that film, the action honestly doesnt enter my mind.

Comment

• Anyone see The Master yet? What did you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
              I dont think if Bergman made his films today they would be any different. They are about the human condition, faith, death and our complexity.

And i find it strange you seem to focus only the violence in Leon. When i think about that film, the action honestly doesnt enter my mind.
              yeah... the characterisations and pathos of the leads were so fleshed out, the "action" component of the film played second fiddle... it was only necessary for luc besson to stage it for our subconscious "need" to feed our sense of justice (to see gary oldman get killed...)

Comment

The Grey 3.5/10

This one was a disappointment - the screenwriting was truly awful. I would have given an even lower rating except some of the cinematography wasn't bad, and of course Liam Neeson performed his role very well.

Bridge on the River Kwai 9.5/10

This one one 7 Oscars and is considered to be one of the greatest movies of all time. The cinematography was amazingly good considering the limitations of the technology at the time it was made. Alex Guinness, Sessue Hayakawa and Jack Hawkins performed their roles flawlessly. I would have given it a 10/10 except William Holden is not a good actor.

Frenzy 8/10

A serial killer in London has been murdering women with his necktie and the police arrest the wrong man. Alfred Hitchc0ck was the master of subtle dark comedy.

True Grit (1969) 8.5/10

The original version of True Grit was much better than the more recent movie. It was the best performance I've seen by John Wayne, who won an Oscar for Best Actor. A young Robert Duvall is the leader of the outlaws.
                i've read somewhere that some critics said this isn't Wayne's best performance, which he himself admitted...it was like an obligatory award they gave to him, kinda like what they gave to Martin Scorsese the directing award for The Departed

The Searchers, i think, has got to be John Wayne's best performance

Comment

• Just watched this :

OH MY GOD !! This is the best anime movie i have ever seen. Violent as **** , brutal , pure epicness.

Perfect movie, 10/10. Must watch

Comment

• Originally posted by *Boss* View Post
                    Just watched this :

OH MY GOD !! This is the best anime movie i have ever seen. Violent as **** , brutal , pure epicness.

Perfect movie, 10/10. Must watch
                    have you read the graphic novel it's based on?

it's a must read

Comment

• 21 grams

if tarantino revels in a non-linear storyline (pulp fiction), christopher nolan in a backward narrative (memento), gonzales-inarritu's 21 grams is both non-linear and backward... and oh get this: it sways back and forth interconnecting seemingly independent storylines from it's characters while remaining cohesive...

it serves as a big shout-out to the time bending property of cinema... 21 grams is simple yet so complex... it features a cast of characters that is put in a world where dillema rules ruthlessly... where the line of honesty and betrayal becomes very blurred and ultimately redemption isn't always achievable...man, the screenplay is thing of beauty...

it is difficult to decide whether this film is character or plot driven... (maybe its both?) benicio del-toro shines in his scenes as a guilt driven dude... his pathos is quite heavy and he manages to muster enough to portray it... sean penn has the heavier baggage and was brilliant as well... (i felt del toro was the more empathic character)

it ain't that impressive technically... lighting is standard fare and the cinematography isn't that spectacular but this movie isn't for it's technical prowess... its about the story, and the amazing characterisations within it... and yeah, how it stays cohesive despite the disjointed, non-linear, intersecting multiple narrative of it's screenplay...

21 grams is a must watch my friends...

almost a 10...
                      Last edited by talip bin osman; 09-26-2012, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X