Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your top 5 greatest boxers of all time. Is it similar to Floyd's list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    what a lot of you don't understand is just how often robinson, armstrong, greb, langford, even duran fought.

robinson had 200 fights. greb had close to 300 fights. langford had 250 fights, close to 2000 rounds! armstrong had 180 fights. even duran had more than twice the amount of fights that floyd had. it is damn near impossible to have a resume on the tier of the top 5-10 boxers of all time if you fight once or twice a year. not a slight against, floyd, a great fighter and a guy who would whoop almost every historic WW [i'd pick him to lose to trhee, hearns, leonard, and robinson,] but this is a resume comparison and not a fantasy fight.

only guy with a "short career" who comes close is ray leonard, and he has wins over prime hearns, benitez, extremely viable duran, and a late career win against an aging hagler, the best short career ever.
    I recently got the Harry Greb book live fast, die young which is superb. The author took 11 years making it and has insane research. Greb would have 3/4 fights scheduled at a time and fought unbelievable guys so often.

I think he has the best resume ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      I recently got the Harry Greb book live fast, die young which is superb. The author took 11 years making it and has insane research. Greb would have 3/4 fights scheduled at a time and fought unbelievable guys so often.

I think he has the best resume ever.

i don't have a problem with someone making that argument regarding his resume, we just haven't seen him fight.

Comment

Does anybody know a skinny Jewboy from Chicago, that sent Henry Armstrong to the hospital in bad shape and offered Hank $35,000 for rematch that he turned down. Also, Lou Amber's was offered $35,000 and turned it down. Sugar Ray Robinson was knocking out top rank lightweights in 1941 when he was 19 yrs old and scheduled to fight this old human stringbean, who looked more like a fugitive from an oxygen tent, if you ever saw one. My man's name is Davey Day. Ray's manager (rethought that prospect) canceled the match and was substituted by Bob Montgomery on 10/10/1941 knocking Day out. Davey had over 300 fights amateur/pro and never suffered a cut eye. If interested there are some vintage pic and exhibit card on Ebay of Davey Day for next three days. Seller is, GOLDSTARSTAMPS or search under Henry Armstrong vs. Davey Day. Full of more information on this Great Boxer. That no Champion's wanted any part of him, who were all under contract to Mike Jacobs who controlled all of Championship fights in NY. He wanted to buy Day's contract from Pian & Winch, but he wasn't for sell. True story 100% verifiable. Cheers.
        Last edited by ron davis; 01-09-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Mayweather should be lucky to brace top twenty for all weight categories.

Making 4 or 5 defences in each category he fought allows him to enter the top 20 but it doesnt cut it to enter the top twenty in each division he fought. Plenty made 4 or 5 defences per division and of greater calibre.

H2H however is another question, of course.

Comment

Working...
          X