Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Beterbiev's Promoter Fires Back at Barrera Over Failed Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    Not just main events, I bet Kovalev appreciated the chance they gave him. But Gym could have tried negotiating at any time, you know? A purse bid is a last resort, if you're dealing in good faith. And I'm sure Duva felt better about the bid before Haymon 500m war chest was made public.

Lol at that story of Chickenson ruining his career over $100k
    HBO couldn't afford the fight. The fight had broken down over a measly 100k HBO refused to put up previously.

"When Al Haymon came on board we were at an impasse. I met with him and both agreed we were going to do the best to keep Adonis with HBO and we set our parameters. After that I flew in to New York and met with Peter Nelson. In that meeting I made an offer that would have closed the overall deal. He told me their offer was the best he could do and [he said regardless] we were not going to get anything better anywhere."
    "In his opinion, Showtime had spent all their money on Mayweather. I was persistent and came back 3 times with a lesser request each time. The last offer I made to him was the following: We wanted to pay Stevenson $300,000 more than we were able to pay him with the actual deal, for the Fonfara fight. So Al Haymon was going to take 100K from his pocket, 100k from mine and I requested HBO to add only 100K to the pot."
    "I had the mandate by Adonis’s representative to make the proposal and sign the deal if HBO would have agreed. I was 100% convinced it was not going to be a big deal for them. In the mean time I got a call from Kathy asking me where we were. At one point we were not in agreement together [on the] eventual split for a rematch [required by HBO at their option]. I said to her we were going to address it later as I was trying to close the overall HBO deal, but we were not very far [apart] and I was convinced we were going to have a positive conclusion."
    "I was stunned when Peter told me he was rejecting it. He also said - 'you see Yvon you have no other alternative and you can’t get another deal elsewhere so please tell Adonis to agree to the deal.' We then reached the deadline date set by HBO for my and Adonis’ approval [March 11]. The next day, March I2, I had a conversation with [Showtime Sports head] Stephen Espinoza, who asked me if he could make us an offer. On March 14 I got a proposal from Showtime. You know everything else. I immediately sent the proposal to HBO who had the right to match and they did not."
    - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/stevenson....XTfrdqcs.dpuf

A lot of anger and bitter words can’t conceal fact HBO’s 2013 misstep led to loss of Adonis Stevenson
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...NTHS0AHTNNbK5_

The bid had nothing to do with Haymon's 500m. GYM always had more money than Main Events. Stevenson's events in Canada were making money as well as Bute's and GYM's other cards in Canada. GYM didn't need Haymon to outbid Main Events. Remember, Kovalev had to travel to Canada as the champion twice, and got his biggest paydays from Pascal.

Michel even told her if she doesn't want to do the purse bid bring him a proposal from HBO and he'll bring a proposal from PBC. Kathy never responded.

"Bring the proposal from HBO and I bring a proposal from a PBC-affiliated network and we go where it has the most value," he said. "I'm willing to negotiate but she has to be willing to maximize the revenue. If she doesn't want to do that then stop trying to make everyone believe we tried to avoid Kovalev. When the WBC decided to name the winner of Kovalev-Pascal the mandatory we were on board and we are not backing out. Let's go with the network that can put up the most money."
    http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...urse-bid-order

And in her letter to the WBC turning down the purse bid she never mentioned Haymon or his 550 million

In her letter to Sulaiman, Duva wrote, in part, "There are numerous factors which make a purse bid on April 17th impractical. Please allow me to explain. First of all, we are still finalizing arrangements for the IBF mandatory fight with Mohammedi, which will take place this summer. It would be entirely incongruous to hold a purse bid for the subsequent Stevenson bout prior to finalizing the Mohammedi bout. Second of all, the early bid that has been proposed would necessarily violate the WBC rules and cause financial hardship.

"Rule 2.21 states that championship contracts are due for presentment within seven days of a purse bid. It also states that the date and location must be specified within 15 days of a purse bid. It is quite difficult to specify a date for the Stevenson bout months before the Mohammedi bout takes place. Typically, purse bids are built upon offers from television networks and sites. As television networks generally focus upon one bout at a time, and as so many worldwide networks are focused primarily on the upcoming megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather right now, a Kovalev/Stevenson bout is not yet on their radar.

"Similarly, sites want certainty, as well. Kovalev and Stevenson are both scheduled to fight other opponents this summer. As we all know, this is boxing and anything can happen. Fighters could be injured or even lose a match. When an arena locks in a date, it locks out others who may wish to contract for the arena on that same date. The same holds for major television networks. Thus the reluctance of arenas and networks in this regard is understandable."

Duva went on to write that while she was ready to negotiate with Michel "on a 50-50 co-promotion basis at this time, in contrast, a purse bid must necessarily be made based upon a fixed number. In all practicality, no matter how much time one needs to promote this bout, its value cannot be determined accurately so very far in advance."
    The only ones not negotiating in good faith was Duva and HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by iNixus View Post
      Kov made 400k for unification vs Hopkins before that he made chump change as semi final on Stevenson undercard and that was tittle fight not eliminator. Barrera fought on HBO he don't have HBO backing him up the reason is simple he dont sell enough just Like Beterbiev dont have PBC backing him up both promoters know the fight wont do well in revenue.
      You're compaing Kovalev fighting for free when he was a nobody to Barrera, a top 5 LHW, fighting for 60k. Don't be so stupid

Comment

Originally posted by iNixus View Post
        Kov made 400k for unification vs Hopkins before that he made chump change as semi final on Stevenson undercard and that was tittle fight not eliminator. Barrera fought on HBO he don't have HBO backing him up the reason is simple he dont sell enough just Like Beterbiev dont have PBC backing him up both promoters know the fight wont do well in revenue.
        It's too bad man, finally a decent name wants to fight the guy and the money's not there. How come Barrera can't fight in Canada, any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          You're compaing Kovalev fighting for free when he was a nobody to Barrera, a top 5 LHW, fighting for 60k. Don't be so stupid
          Evidently there are a lot of peasants posting on this site.

The concept of getting paid doesn't register with them.

They're the demographic that like and admire Bob Arum.

Comment

HBO couldn't afford the fight. The fight had broken down over a measly 100k HBO refused to put up previously.

- See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/stevenson....XTfrdqcs.dpuf

A lot of anger and bitter words can’t conceal fact HBO’s 2013 misstep led to loss of Adonis Stevenson
            http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...NTHS0AHTNNbK5_

The bid had nothing to do with Haymon's 500m. GYM always had more money than Main Events. Stevenson's events in Canada were making money as well as Bute's and GYM's other cards in Canada. GYM didn't need Haymon to outbid Main Events. Remember, Kovalev had to travel to Canada as the champion twice, and got his biggest paydays from Pascal.

Michel even told her if she doesn't want to do the purse bid bring him a proposal from HBO and he'll bring a proposal from PBC. Kathy never responded.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...urse-bid-order

And in her letter to the WBC turning down the purse bid she never mentioned Haymon or his 550 million

The only ones not negotiating in good faith was Duva and HBO.
            HBO backing is worth a lot, as Gym is finding out now with the lousy exposure they get for their stable off HBO, see Beterbiev Barrera or Stevenson career. A lot more than the comical 100k it took for Stevenson to go the path of least resistance. It wasn't HBO being broke, they just weren't gonna be nickel and dimed for tuneups off Fnf. That's why Haymon was out before he ever signed the guy

Comment

HBO backing is worth a lot, as Gym is finding out now with the lousy exposure they get for their stable off HBO, see Beterbiev Barrera or Stevenson career. A lot more than the comical 100k it took for Stevenson to go the path of least resistance. It wasn't HBO being broke, they just weren't gonna be nickel and dimed for tuneups off Fnf. That's why Haymon was out before he ever signed the guy
              Even with all the facts presented to you, you're still going to side with HBO. I showed you how they blew the first fight over 100k. I showed you how Duva blew the second fight by pulling out of the purse bid when Kovalev didn't have an HBO contract.

That 100k is peanuts compared to what they had to invest in Ward to get Kovalev a fight. And that PPV flopped.

Comment

Even with all the facts presented to you, you're still going to side with HBO. I showed you how they blew the first fight over 100k. I showed you how Duva blew the second fight by pulling out of the purse bid when Kovalev didn't have an HBO contract.

That 100k is peanuts compared to what they had to invest in Ward to get Kovalev a fight. And that PPV flopped.
                Nobody ditches HBO over 100k, that's an obvious excuse. Then you look at his post HBO career, with that tuneup off Fnf being the highlight lol, and all questions are answered

Comment

Nobody ditches HBO over 100k, that's an obvious excuse. Then you look at his post HBO career, with that tuneup off Fnf being the highlight lol, and all questions are answered
                  That article came from emails between HBO and Michel. And like I said. That 100k would've been a lot cheaper than what HBO paid for Ward tune ups and that flop PPV.

Stevenson doesn't seem to be hurting for money nowadays so he's good. Still being chauffered around in the Bentley with the custom made fox fur

Still got the Rari

Still got his mama drippin in furs

Comment

That article came from emails between HBO and Michel. And like I said. That 100k would've been a lot cheaper than what HBO paid for Ward tune ups and that flop PPV.

Stevenson doesn't seem to be hurting for money nowadays so he's good. Still being chauffered around in the Bentley with the custom made fox fur

Still got the Rari

Still got his mama drippin in furs

Great so he'll go broke that much sooner. Shame, cause his approach to boxing is so prudent: minimize the risk, milk the belt. Off topic though, the point is Gym are too trigger happy with these purse bids even when their guy is looking for a challenge. 60k was never gonna work.

Comment

Great so he'll go broke that much sooner. Shame, cause his approach to boxing is so prudent: minimize the risk, milk the belt. Off topic though, the point is Gym are too trigger happy with these purse bids even when their guy is looking for a challenge. 60k was never gonna work.
                      They're trigger happy with Main Events because of their past dealings with them. GYM has made fights with others with no problems. Main Events was trigger happy with the Fury purse bid. And they knew Fury had a rematch clause and they still lost the bid. Duva thinks she is so smart and she's always coming out on the losing end of situations. Now she's in hell dealing with Ward on his terms

Comment

Working...
                      X