No announcement yet.

Playing possum in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    He laid on the ropes because he couldnt do anything else. His plan wasnt to get his ass kicked and then KO foreman when he gassed. This is one of the biggest myths in boxing.
    Foreman was hitting Ali, but lets not act like Ali wasn't hitting Foreman while he was on those ropes either. I mean the scorecards had Ali up. A lot of Foreman's punches weren't even landing clean on Ali. Sure a lot were, but Ali was hitting Foreman too.

Once Ali saw Foreman was clearly gassed in the 8th, he jumped off those ropes and KO'd Foreman. I'm not saying he went into the fight with that plan, but he definitely adjusted mid fight.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      Foreman was hitting Ali, but lets not act like Ali wasn't hitting Foreman while he was on those ropes either. I mean the scorecards had Ali up. A lot of Foreman's punches weren't even landing clean on Ali. Sure a lot were, but Ali was hitting Foreman too.

Once Ali saw Foreman was clearly gassed in the 8th, he jumped off those ropes and KO'd Foreman. I'm not saying he went into the fight with that plan, but he definitely adjusted mid fight.
      This^^^. That's why I consider this fight a good candidate for the playing possum analogy. Ali looked visibly hurt, tired, defeated, and once Foreman gassed, Ali CAME ALIVE and put him down. To me, it's a perfect example.

Comment

Well, this is not really the scenario that TS was describing but Quillin does this thing where he acts like he's not looking at you, like he looks towards the crowd (away from the opponent) but keeps you in his peripheral and once he sees you coming towards him he pops you with an uppercut. He did it vs Wright and vs Njikam as well if I remember correctly, never really noticed it before those 2 fights tho. I believe there was someone else who used to do that before and I can't really remember now.

Comment

Archie Moore could bring an opponent in anytime he wanted to. He had that knack of giving his opponent a false sense of sercurity!!! Moore was one of the smartest men in boxing, ever!! Ray.

Comment

SRR, Ali, Whitaker, Pryor and other unknowns.

Comment

Ali was hurt in the Foreman fight. Look at the body shots he was taking.

And yeah, Angelo Dundee actually wanted the ropes tightened before the fight because he thought they were so loose it was dangerous. Proving that the rope-a-dope wasn't their plan at all.

Comment

Apparently Lennox Lewis did in the second Holyfield fight when asked if he was hurt in the middle of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

I agree with you man also who is that scary looking ghost eye assed negro in that pic?

Comment

Working...
                  X