No announcement yet.

Why is sam langford so highly rated as an atg

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is sam langford so highly rated as an atg

He is highly thought of. Please expand on his virtues.

his size for one. he was 5'6, 165 at his heaviest. something like that. he had the middleweight through to the heavyweight division running scared for a decade or longer.

Comment

Let me put it like this. He was a 5'6" middleweight and when he was blind and way past his prime (and, allow me to repeat, blind), he knocked out a heavyweight who could have been a real challenger to the title in Harry Wills.

He also beat Joe Gans, Barbados Joe and Stanley Ketchel. He beat Jack Blackburn. He fought FOREVER. He was dominant from lightweight to heavyweight. The dude was just a boxing savant.
      Last edited by BigStereotype; 12-07-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        Let me put it like this. He was a 5'6" middleweight and when he was blind and way past his prime (and, allow me to repeat, blind), he knocked out a heavyweight who could have been a real challenger to the title in Harry Wills.

He also beat Joe Gans, Barbados Joe and Stanley Ketchel. He beat Jack Blackburn. He fought FOREVER. He was dominant from lightweight to heavyweight. The dude was just a boxing savant.
        must have been that canadain upbring lol

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
          his size for one. he was 5'6, 165 at his heaviest. something like that. he had the middleweight through to the heavyweight division running scared for a decade or longer.
          A little mythmaking here...he regularly weighed in in the 180s for Heavyweight fights, and had more success there when he did (see the Wills fights).

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            A little mythmaking here...he regularly weighed in in the 180s for Heavyweight fights, and had more success there when he did (see the Wills fights).
            is that right?

I have read a few places that he was usually in the 160 range. You live and learn.

Comment

his end weight, after doing a quick search, was around the 190 range.

i am now very interested in his weights throughout the years if anybody could post them. for some reason the weights are no longer listed on boxrec - or they've been moved. I haven't visited in a while.

Comment

What Dempsey said about him

Dempsey called Sam the best fighter he ever saw and said even in his prime he is not sure he could have beaten him.

Comment

Many of the high profile names around that era mostly came clean to interviewers about ducking him.

He may just be the greatest ever.

Comment

Forgive a young noobfor asking, but why is Langford not the GOAT? From what I've read this man should be higher than Robinson.

Comment

Working...
                    X