Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters you picked to be great, and you were wrong...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    I think in Tyson's case some will definitely feel that way though. As great as he was, and i think he was, he didnt quite fulfill his potential but that is a mark of how massive his potential was rather than how little he did....
    It's difficult to categorize. A few people have listed Valero and Ibeabuchi, and neither of them ever lost a pro fight. Depends on whether you define this as in ring or out of ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I didn't really pick either to be great, but I was shocked to see both Taylor and Pavlik fall off so hard and so fast. After 10 years or so of having one man recognized as the best fighter in the division, having the two guys that came after be such flashes was crazy.

While he still has a chance, at one point I was completely sold on Chad Dawson.
      I think Dawson is still the goods. He beats Hopkins he's right back on top, and I think he will.

I definitely think he'll beat Pascal in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        It's difficult to categorize. A few people have listed Valero and Ibeabuchi, and neither of them ever lost a pro fight. Depends on whether you define this as in ring or out of ring.
        Ike woulda been great. Valero was overrated and would have been exposed when he attempted to face the elites.

But, I don't think either fits into what this thread is about. They had their careers cut short by life outside the ring...and this is about guys who fell apart or didn't pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          I totally agree on Cordington i thought he could have really been something, a world champ of sorts at the very very least.... Still like him despite his now apparent flaws though and that Sakio Bika fight is one of my very favourites

Whats The Don doing these days? Havent heard of him in a minute
          last i heard he hadnt fought in 2-3 years (counting from now), but that was almost a year ago as well so he might have fought again since. at that point he only had two fights since the bika loss, both wins but against terrible oposition.

so idk if hes still fighting or if hes retired. if hes fighting its probably the same kind of bums he beat in those last fights since theres no word on it.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
            Post fighters you thought would be great but just came up short to your expectations.

Hopefully this did not happen only ti me, my latest big mistake was

Jorge Linares (I seeing he was getting hit too much, but I probably hoped that he had a really hard chin, just because I had not seen anyone *great* coming up in while I really wanted someone to be great)
            Well I think we have yet to see the best of Linares. I'm not gonna blow him off yet. Besides, DeMarco is a real good fighter. I think Linares could potentially beat him in a rematch anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
              Well I think we have yet to see the best of Linares. I'm not gonna blow him off yet. Besides, DeMarco is a real good fighter. I think Linares could potentially beat him in a rematch anyways.
              maybe but that is what i thought the first time...

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                last i heard he hadnt fought in 2-3 years (counting from now), but that was almost a year ago as well so he might have fought again since. at that point he only had two fights since the bika loss, both wins but against terrible oposition.

so idk if hes still fighting or if hes retired. if hes fighting its probably the same kind of bums he beat in those last fights since theres no word on it.
                He could really bang and had such an enjoyable style so thats said to hear. Nice likeable lad too, unlike that other chin checker mug Curtis Stevens...

Then again its probably for the best that Green KO was horrifying in the way only us sicko boxing fans can really call Beautiful! And the shots he took against Bika were no joke neither, he coulda made some good cash but he looked like taking some real punishment to the head so maybe getting out while still a young fresh kid was wise if that is indeed what he did`

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                  I think Dawson is still the goods. He beats Hopkins he's right back on top, and I think he will.

I definitely think he'll beat Pascal in the rematch.
                  Agreed. Still the lack of passion he has shown before was a bit displeasing...

He will spank Hopkins and Pascal and hopeful hit the P4P ranks again

Him vs Ward will be hot some day...

Comment

Meldrick Taylor was great before he ran into JCC. But, I'd have to say Prince Naz Hamed takes the cake. One loss and he just gives up? WTF! I remember HBO pushing David Reid. What happened to him? Michael Nunn was on top and I thought he'd be the greatest MW Champion of the post-Hagler era after his win over Sumbu Kalambay. But, it turned out to be Bernard Hopkins who was. A lot of the '80's welters like Marlon Starling, Aaron Davis, Mark Breland and Lloyd Honeyghan are worth a mention, as well. What happened to them? I also thought Terry Norris and Aaron Pryor were underachievers. They had excellent talent.

Comment

Greg Page and Howard Davis Jr, but part of that was due to management.

Comment

Working...
                      X