Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddick Bowe, How Far Could Have He Really Gone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to say Discipline is a skill set and he lacked that...So adding that would really be like adding another weapon to any other great fighter..He was who he was

Comment

Had he trained like Eddie Futch wanted him to he could have been one of the very best heavyweights ever.

He had it all: size, chin, punching power, decent handspeed, outside boxing skills, inside boxing skills.

The only thing missing was the work ethic of a Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

I'm a fan of him but he does get overrated. He tended to get out jabbed a lot and really besides Holyfield never had a truely great name on his resume. Michael Dokes was way past it against Bowe.

No way does he beat Lennox Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
          I'm a fan of him but he does get overrated. He tended to get out jabbed a lot and really besides Holyfield never had a truely great name on his resume. Michael Dokes was way past it against Bowe.

No way does he beat Lennox Lewis.
          It tends to go back and fourth with Bowe: Underrated, overrated, and back and fourth again we go...

We all tend to have the need for closure, to make good fighters mythological. How good was Ike Ibuichi? Dimitri Pirov if he had not hurt his back? Ibuichi looked like someone took and chiseled down Liston to the perfect compact size... but alas who knows?

A lot of people thought Bowe had the goods. I would say that to his credit, he took out a decent fighter when he beat Gonzalez, of course the Holyfield trilogy.

To his detriment he never fought enough big guys...I would have liked to see him against Razor Rudock for example, among others. Against Lewis it has become fashionable to NOW say no way he beats Lennox...but for a good part of the 90's people held the opposite view. I don't think its logical to think he beats Lewis based on who Lewis beat, its that simple to me.

Comment

Yeah, but Holyfield only lost that third fight because he had hepatitis. If that fight could've been postponed and Holyfield had Bowe in the same kind of trouble, he probably wins by TKO at that point. Hell, Cortex the ref later said a few more shots and he would've stopped it.

Comment

Working...
            X