No announcement yet.

Overrated and hyped?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated and hyped?

Was Walters just an overrated fighter who got the hype tagged on him because he beat donaire?

I never thought Walters was that great/good. He was just a solid fighter type. He was Taylor made for Lomo.

For y'all who believed his hype, what about him did you like?

So basically Lomachenko is not very good, he just fought a C class fighter and he looked good? Where do you trolls come from

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
      So basically Lomachenko is not very good, he just fought a C class fighter and he looked good? Where do you trolls come from
      No I like Lomo and think he's the real deal. But to me Walters was just an overrated hype fighter who was black and since he beat donaire the urban demographic was on his nuts for it. But he never seemed that great. Solid fighter yes but nothing more.

Lomo treated Walters like the fighter he is.

Comment

I've said this numerous times. I questioned whether he was a great fighter or just a big fighter. His claim to fame is the demolition of a defeated, undersized, shell of Donaire.

Lomachenko is leagues above him

Comment

Lomachenko being better is doesn't make Walters a bad fighter, every other top guy from 126-135 and most of them in 140 would be embarrassed by Lomo similar way. He is dat good.

Comment

I thought he was a good fighter (who would lose to Lomachenko). He had solid skills, good size, good power...there's not much there to dislike (he was always going to be too flat footed Loma). I do think his size played a role in his more impressive victories, but I thought he handled himself well in the Sosa fight where it was more evenly matched. Loma was just a lot better and I'm sure the inactivity played some part in Walters' hesitancy.

Comment

Walters certainly isn't as good as he was made out to be because that Donaire win flattered him and he didn't do much since BUT Loma just showed he was a level or 2 above a solid fighter. That's all he could do in that situation.

Comment

Nah, Walters is solid. Yesterday was just a horrible style match up for him, he's a natural counter-puncher and that's never going to work against Lomachenko. You need a high workrate to beat Loma, you can't let him get off first and pick your shots against him.

Comment

I based my high opinion of Walters on his impressive KO of highly regarded Donaire at a time when Donaire was really kicking ass and was high on most pound for pound lists. I expected Loma to beat him. I didn't expect Walters to quit but Loma outclassed him and really beat him up badly.Walters isn't as good as I thought he was but Loma is even better than I thought.

Comment

The consensus on Walters going in is important and people always tend to forget that when judging Mayweather's career for example, God I hate that I even had to mention his name. Walters is solid and Lomachenko made him look like an amateur in there. That said and I've never had any issue with fighters that have a line drawn when it pertains to the amount of damage they're willing to take, my issue is that Walters drew his line mighty close and I hope he never headlines a main event ever again, this is where boxing needs to change as a sport.

Other issue is the HBO commentary, stop comparing Lomachenko to ATGs when he's only had a few fights, he still has a lot more he needs to prove.

Comment

Working...
                    X