Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we eliminate the 154 and 168 weight classes? Make it like the old days?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daddy T View Post
    jesus that would be an unbelievable though a few of the bigger guys would prob just go to light heavyweight
    True.

Im just reading now that Canelo entered the ring at 174 v Angulo.

Can't find anything on Frochs fight night weight. But I know he stays well conditioned all year round. It wouldn't surprise me if he only put on a few extra pounds on fight night weighing no more than 178 similar to Floyd.

I bet all these guys walk around at a similar weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
      Yes, too many weight classes. If you look at JMW right now, it's a bunch of young guys who still weigh in on fight night like the MW's.
      No though. Why does everybody do this? The middleweights cut weight too. This always confuses me because they do this on the HBO crew all the time whenever they want to slant something a certain way they talk about how somebody really weighed in like a (insert two or three weights up) by acting like the other weights don't cut too. Everyone under heavyweight cuts weight as the standard practice. Very rarely do top fighters not cut at least a little bit into the next highest weight class.

Comment

If you want to see a freakishly tall lightweight boxer, check out Travell Mazion who is fighting tomorrow in San Antonio, Texas.

Comment

No

But im all for 15rds

Comment

Nah, I think the additional weight classes are an effective way of preserving a fighters career. You have a lot of fighters who grow out of their weight class but would be too small to move up so much.

Comment

105 lbs.
              +3
              108 lbs.
              +4
              112 lbs.
              +3
              115 lbs.
              +3
              118 lbs.
              +4
              122 lbs.
              +4
              126 lbs.
              +4
              130 lbs.
              +5
              135 lbs.
              +5
              140 lbs.
              +7
              147 lbs.
              +7
              154 lbs.
              +6
              160 lbs.
              +8
              168 lbs.
              +7
              175 lbs.
              +25
              200 lbs.
              +unlimited
              200+ lbs.

I think they should eliminate junior flyweight, junior bantamweight, and junior featherweight. It would increase the interest in the lower weight classes.

Comment

Wouldn't be against, I also think a Super Heavyweight Division for all these damn Giants would be a good idea as well

Bryant Jennings, Chisora, David Haye, Mike Perez, Alexander Povetkin, Bermane Stiverne all in the 6'0-6'3 Height Range and just about the same body mass and weight range. Would make for better fights rather than having them go up against guys who are 6'7-6'8

I notice during Povetkin vs Wlad, Chisora vs Fury II as well as Stiverne vs Wilder...it was really nothing either could do to be honest and a lot of that was because of the size difference.

Comment

I think it should go back to the way it was before. Less weight divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGloveLove View Post
                    No though. Why does everybody do this? The middleweights cut weight too. This always confuses me because they do this on the HBO crew all the time whenever they want to slant something a certain way they talk about how somebody really weighed in like a (insert two or three weights up) by acting like the other weights don't cut too. Everyone under heavyweight cuts weight as the standard practice. Very rarely do top fighters not cut at least a little bit into the next highest weight class.
                    I'm referring to rehydration weights. I've seen many prominent JMW's (Angulo, Lara, Alvarez) rehydrate into the 170's just like many prominent MW's (Golovkin, Quillin). 154 has historically been a division of young MW's and old WW's.

There's obviously some MW's like Chavez & Pavlik who were rehydrating into the 180's those guys likely don't belong when their rehydrating to the same level as Froch/Kessler.

Fighters shouldn't be allowed to make a career based on a distinct size advantage, and weight cutting is not a fair/justified process. There's various techniques to dropping water weight and gaining it back in quick fashion without losing much performance. I'm a fan of enforcing a weight division with rehydration limits.

Comment

Working...
                    X