Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparring before being taught how to box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring before being taught how to box?

Okay so I posted a question on here a while back titled "Boxing gym won't teach me how to box and it's getting really disheartening?"
    I voiced my concerns to the coach who does the boxfit class and was told me the times for actual boxing.
    He then warned me that I'll "be thrown in the deep end".

I attended the sparring sessions just today and as expected I wasn't that good. I found it difficult to actually hit my opponents, and got knocked about quite a bit. I also tired out quickly due to having to move fast, despite being fit enough for the hour-long boxfit class.

I did do a bit of pad work to warm up with, before the sparring. However, I'm finding that's the problem. I've been attending boxfit classes for the past 4 months, but have done very little in the way of actual training, technique, footwork, etc.

Though the pro who runs the gym told me, the more I spar the better i'd get. And the other coach who I done the pad work with told me he'd teach me to box next week.

I don't want to give up just because of what happened because obviously I'm inexperienced and wasn't expecting to be that good during early days, but should I be focusing more on pad work and learning technique before I spar like today?

It's tough to find a coach that takes you seriously. AT the end of the day its up to you to improve by doing the basic things you can learn about by using google and youtube. Pushups, pullups, running, bag work, technique, shadow boxing, these are things you can learn on your own.

When it comes to sparring your coach is right. It's kind of like riding a bike, it gets easier and easier but the first few times you will feel like crap and get your butt beat. We've all been through it, and continue to go through it, and thats just part of boxing. You have to learn to relax like the pros do, and concentrate on using as little energy as possible, and not panicking. Thats the hard part. But you will learn if you keep at it and keep trying to learn. Most people quit after one or two sparring sessions because they get disheartened. But a true fighter will keep coming back until he gets better. It is incredibly hard to stay calm and not over exert energy, once you can do that you will feel a lot better and before you know it you'll be sparring 2 3 and 4 rounds. Just keep at it and don't give up.

Comment

you'll learn 10x faster in the ring than out

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote142 View Post
        It's tough to find a coach that takes you seriously. AT the end of the day its up to you to improve by doing the basic things you can learn about by using google and youtube. Pushups, pullups, running, bag work, technique, shadow boxing, these are things you can learn on your own.

When it comes to sparring your coach is right. It's kind of like riding a bike, it gets easier and easier but the first few times you will feel like crap and get your butt beat. We've all been through it, and continue to go through it, and thats just part of boxing. You have to learn to relax like the pros do, and concentrate on using as little energy as possible, and not panicking. Thats the hard part. But you will learn if you keep at it and keep trying to learn. Most people quit after one or two sparring sessions because they get disheartened. But a true fighter will keep coming back until he gets better. Keep trying!!
        agree with this very much

imagine you're a coach at a gym, and 9 times out of 10 you get wanna-bes and flakers through the doors, it makes sense that a coach is not just gonna give you all his time and attention. you gotta earn it, just keep on grinding

Comment

I’d find another coach because u shouldn’t spar until u learn how to move your head, feet and keep your hands up

Comment

You probably tired quickly because of poor breathing as well. Even though I was in good cardiovascular shape I gassed the first couple times I sparred, because of being nervous but mostly because of poor breathing technique. It gets easier.

I wouldn't say its recommended to throw a guy in there right away, but maybe he wanted to test you out. Come back next time and then reevaluate. Maybe he'll teach you some more.

Comment

Spar sessions for the blind is NEVER a good idea.
              Any trainer who gloves up some kid before teaching balance and movement with at least a jab and how to defend themselves is a garbage trainer!
              I don't need to see a new guy spar to tell if he has some potential, I just need to see him observe whats going on in the gym.

The old" throw them in the fire" has always been for the big mouths not a kid looking to learn.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Any trainer who gloves up some kid before teaching balance and movement with at least a jab and how to defend themselves is a garbage trainer!
                I don't need to see a new guy spar to tell if he has some potential, I just need to see him observe whats going on in the gym.

The old" throw them in the fire" has always been for the big mouths not a kid looking to learn.

Ray
                Well said. +1

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Ray
                  Don't hold back now Ray. You tell em!

Comment

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
                    Okay so I posted a question on here a while back titled "Boxing gym won't teach me how to box and it's getting really disheartening?"
                    I voiced my concerns to the coach who does the boxfit class and was told me the times for actual boxing.
                    He then warned me that I'll "be thrown in the deep end".

I attended the sparring sessions just today and as expected I wasn't that good. I found it difficult to actually hit my opponents, and got knocked about quite a bit. I also tired out quickly due to having to move fast, despite being fit enough for the hour-long boxfit class.

I did do a bit of pad work to warm up with, before the sparring. However, I'm finding that's the problem. I've been attending boxfit classes for the past 4 months, but have done very little in the way of actual training, technique, footwork, etc.

Though the pro who runs the gym told me, the more I spar the better i'd get. And the other coach who I done the pad work with told me he'd teach me to box next week.

I don't want to give up just because of what happened because obviously I'm inexperienced and wasn't expecting to be that good during early days, but should I be focusing more on pad work and learning technique before I spar like today?
                    So you want to learn to box? Watch any Sugar Ray Robinson fight, that man could box!...…….Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X