Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Thoughts on my Relationship with Coach

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain damage caused by boxing, or alcohol, messes with the GABA system. The GABA system in the brain is what rewards you dopamine after doing hard work. Getting chinned makes the GABA system shocked to where you don't get the same rewards, read about it a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      One thing I notice is that a lot of coaches are out of shape, which surprising considering how many fighters they train.
      Really? Idk I always see coaches looking decent. They obviously aren't in fighting shape anymore, but the younger ones who are in their 40's look at least in decent shape.

I knew one trainer in his mid 50's who worked out like crazy. He always held the mitts for everyone doing the pad work and I know that's not easy. He would do light shadow boxing too and he would spar sometimes too. Not heavy sparring, light stuff. I mean he's slow in the ring and stuff, but he picks his shots well and he's super selective when he throws. I wanna be in that kind of shape when I'm in my 50's.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
        Really? Idk I always see coaches looking decent. They obviously aren't in fighting shape anymore, but the younger ones who are in their 40's look at least in decent shape.

I knew one trainer in his mid 50's who worked out like crazy. He always held the mitts for everyone doing the pad work and I know that's not easy. He would do light shadow boxing too and he would spar sometimes too. Not heavy sparring, light stuff. I mean he's slow in the ring and stuff, but he picks his shots well and he's super selective when he throws. I wanna be in that kind of shape when I'm in my 50's.
        I mean the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          I mean the pros.
          Oh yeah. Maybe.

Well idk. It varies I'm sure.

But one thing you'll see is in the pros, especially with a high profile fighter, they'll have a team of coaches with them. Strength and conditioning coach, nutritional coach, an assistant coach, every one will have a roll and I think the head trainer just sort of coordinates it all, not really doing anything like holding mitts or playing an active roll. Some of them do I'm sure.

Then at the lower levels, they probably have 1 guy and he does everything. And then on fight night, they hire people to help out for that one day, but the real team is just the fighter and his coach. No one else.

Comment

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
            Hi everyone!

I was wondering how your relationship is like with your coach... to all the boxers out there.

I've recently switched gyms... and have been training here for a month. The coach at this gym is very selective in the people he trains and invests time in... (i'm 10 months into boxing) Apparently, he likes what he sees in me (he has said so himself and gym parents have told me that he sees potential in me)

However, it seems like he ignores me a lot of the time. I've been sparring with a girl, let's call her Brenda (yup I'm a girl) he seems to only tell her advice during our past few sparring sessions and only compliments her when she lands combos on me. Mind you she has 2-3 years more experience than me.

He would tell her "hit her in the f-cking face!" and he treats me like I am his opponent! She was actually starting to hurt me. It was strange... He seems to act like an a-hole towards me at times. Is he trying to test me? Does he think she's the better fighter or something? Not understanding what he is trying to accomplish. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks!

***I will report all inappropriate and sexual harassment comments. Thank you.
            Grow some thicker skin little lady. Big deal he's shouting things to your sparring partner. In my mind I'd take that as a compliment and fight on. And so what he might not have you on his mind at all times, just do your thing, because I'd assume you are not the only person in the gym. You have to get used to just doing it yourself. The bag work, the early morning runs, the fights.... You gotta do it all alone. If he sees something bad I'm sure that he'll show you how to do it properly. It's a tough sport and if you want to win you will listen to everything that he says and then do it alone. If you want him to pay more attention to you than the next time that you spar get low, stick your jab right in this girls belly and then bring a follow up jab right behind it to this girls nose. Body/head Head/body.... know what I mean? Mix it up with lead right hands too, body, head.

And are you in Michigan?....Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'; 02-26-2018, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Grow some thicker skin little lady. Big deal he's shouting things to your sparring partner. In my mind I'd take that as a compliment and fight on. And so what he might not have you on his mind at all times, just do your thing, because I'd assume you are not the only person in the gym. You have to get used to just doing it yourself.:
              I def agree with some of that. I would mentally brush it off and keep it moving.

Comment

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how your relationship is like with your coach... to all the boxers out there.

I've recently switched gyms... and have been training here for a month. The coach at this gym is very selective in the people he trains and invests time in... (i'm 10 months into boxing) Apparently, he likes what he sees in me (he has said so himself and gym parents have told me that he sees potential in me)

However, it seems like he ignores me a lot of the time. I've been sparring with a girl, let's call her Brenda (yup I'm a girl) he seems to only tell her advice during our past few sparring sessions and only compliments her when she lands combos on me. Mind you she has 2-3 years more experience than me.

He would tell her "hit her in the f-cking face!" and he treats me like I am his opponent! She was actually starting to hurt me. It was strange... He seems to act like an a-hole towards me at times. Is he trying to test me? Does he think she's the better fighter or something? Not understanding what he is trying to accomplish. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks!

***I will report all inappropriate and sexual harassment comments. Thank you.

Hey friend.

Firstly, refer to what rockin' said and take it on board. I think the same.

I have had similar experiences, but on both sides of that fence. From being the newby (we think the coach would help us being the lesser experienced person). I stuck it out and years later i was the person he was helping (although i was better, more experienced boxer than sparring partner).

Don't take it personally... which is hard, because you are a person!

At the moment, you're sparring partner is the main girl. You need learn, train hard, listen and slowly make the change to become the top dog.
                The coach has already invested time into her and he will show you small things to start with, and gradually INVEST (it's an investment for your coach) more time and effort in you once he is sure about his investment.

One last thing, perfect the small things. I bet your 1-2 is not perfect. I know you've thrown it a thousand times, but I think I could find flaws, either with your shoulders, feet, hips or re-action. Perfect the simple things first.
                Then move onto 1-1-2. Flick jab, stiff jab, right to body or head. The flick jab is a distraction to move left foot (orthadox) outside on 45 degree angle. Stiff jab then right. The wider stance you created by moving your left foot allows more weight and power into your right and to come in ( on an angle, allowing traffic to go over right shoulder (orthadox).

Ok, i'm getting carried away now..

Comment

We are both training for amateur fights. We both have yet to have one in the book. Not sure why she has waited for so long since she's been training for a few years... but she came into the gym a few months before I have. Not sure the logic behind my coach.
                  Maybe he thinks she has a fragile ego and needs the extra encouragement. Point is you don't know why he's doing what he does. If your learning and he's a good teacher don't worry about it. If it doesn't work for you go somewhere else. Or you can always ask him what's up.

Comment

We are both training for amateur fights. We both have yet to have one in the book. Not sure why she has waited for so long since she's been training for a few years... but she came into the gym a few months before I have. Not sure the logic behind my coach.
                    I do have to agree with some of the other posters, she may have a fragile ego and needs some extra help mentally.

Comment

Working...
                    X