No announcement yet.

protein shake?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protein shake?

Alright all you muscle heads in here i have a couple questions regarding protein shakes. I just started this 30 day exercise thing with a friend of mine. no lifting weights, just strictly push ups, 200 a day.

my chest, arms is sore ass shiiet today. my friend told me to go get some protein shake and drink it after the work out so that it can help me recover. i was always under the impression that protein shakes is only needed if you're doing heavy lifting?

since im not doing any weight lifting just strictly push ups, will i benefit from the protein shake? Also is syntha-6 edge a good brand?

I'm no expert or anything, but the protein itself will help with the recovery and rebuilding of muscles. The soreness you feel is essentially a slight muscle tear which needs to be rebuilt stronger. The protein helps with that. Also, most shakes have other things like creatine or bcaa or whatever to help with recovery.

Comment

The reason to take a protein shake w/i an hour of exercise is that it's been proven to aide in recovery. Post-workout is a critical time to uptake amino acids (protein) as much repair is being done post-workout.

Soreness can be a number of things, mostly lactic acid. There are things you can do to manage this but just giving it time is the best as it will go away (or, at least mellow out) as you continue to exercise.

Do take a protein shake though as it makes your exercise more productive due to improving your recovery. Muscles aren't built in the gym, they are torn down. They are built back up stronger in recovery.

Comment

I sometimes have a protein shake after a workout and sometimes not. Always check ingredients, because some of them are way too high in calories IMO.

Comment

Protein shakes are good to be taken after workouts, because it directly gets to your muscles within 25-30 minutes of its intake and provides your muscles aide.

Comment

redtop milk (skimmed) is pretty good to drink for protein-purposes, 4 pints has 80g of protein in it

Comment

Originally posted by ruthcurry View Post
              Protein shakes are good to be taken after workouts, because it directly gets to your muscles within 25-30 minutes of its intake and provides your muscles aide.
              I've skipped them as of late and just concentrated on pure juice.

Comment

Working...
              X