Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagler/Hearns.If Hearns didn't break his hand...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curryfan85 View Post
    I like Tommy Hearns much much more than I like Marvin Hagler, but I just think that Hagler was going to get him that night. Just too strong and solid.
    Not much strategy in that fight, either.

Comment

Originally posted by tills9191 View Post
      I think the whole fight changed dramatically.
      Hearns breaks his hand in the 2nd round of the fight.
      Hearns ends up being KO'ed in the 3rd.
      You have to attribute the loss to the hand breaking.

Otherwise, who knows what would have happend.
      Hagler's head was able to shrug off the blows.

Comment

What if Hearn didn't break his hand and why not add what if Hearn didn't get a deep tissue leg massage? Lol "What ifs" are hilarious...

Comment

It wouldn't have mattered a bit.

Hearns hit Hagler with a great hook seconds into the fight. Hagler took a couple of seconds, steadied himself and then proceeded to start breaking Hearns down. Remember that Hagler was a notoriously slow starter. If Hearns couldn't drop him with that hook, he wasn't going to ever drop him. Hagler started walking through his punches in the first just to get close enough to rough Hearns up. By the end of the first Hearns was staggering back against the ropes. Tommy hit Hagler with everything he had and the man kept coming forward.

Unless stopped on cuts, this fight was always going to end the way it did - with Hearns lying flat on his back. Might have been the 3rd round, it might have been the 5th...but it was going to end the same way.

Comment

Both men could punch, both could defend. It all came down to one man's head being super hardened. Hagler had a boss of bone like a cape buffalo in front. That boss is harder and thicker than normal skull bone. Hagler's boss broke Tommy's mitts down quick & loan.

Comment

The more ''What if's'' you use, the farther away a victory is. Shlt happens when people punch each other.

Comment

Hearns himself told his team to not say anything about his broken hand because he didn’t want to take anything away from Hagler which leads me to believe that Hearns himself believed that Hagler was just better than him, and his hand not breaking wouldn’t have changed the result.

For what it’s worth Hearns was still swinging with his right even after it broke, so it’s not like it made that big a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
                  Hearns himself told his team to not say anything about his broken hand because he didn’t want to take anything away from Hagler which leads me to believe that Hearns himself believed that Hagler was just better than him, and his hand not breaking wouldn’t have changed the result.

For what it’s worth Hearns was still swinging with his right even after it broke, so it’s not like it made that big a difference.
                  But if you look carefully you can see that Tommy has begun to imitate Calzaghe rather than himself with the right hand technique after the hand broke. You cannot punch that hard with that type of strike, which is meant to redistribute and minimize impactive force on the broken knuckles.

Comment

Working...
                  X