Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't Weight Division Hopping a Form of Ducking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't Weight Division Hopping a Form of Ducking?

I'm not saying it always is, but it sure seems like a way to avoid a looming showdown. A lot of folks want every fighter to do this, but when he stay in one division, it's a lot harder to avoid any fighters coming up and still claim to be the best at that division.

I swear, it's a wonder any big fights happen at all. With all the divisions, titles and guys always moving up, a fighter has so many ways to duck other fighters. This is what has made the sport weak. It tries to make somebodies out of guys who would never be somebodies in the old days.

Any thoughts?

yes canelo style. i'm a 154 pound fighter! now im a 155 pound fighter! now im a 164.5 pound fighter!

Comment

If you move up and fight the best fighter there it cant really be ducking

Comment

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
        If you move up and fight the best fighter there it cant really be ducking
        No, I agree. It depends on the situation, but say Santa-Cruz or Frampton moving up to stay away from Rigo or Canelo doing whatever he's doing thee days with weight to avoid GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
          yes canelo style. i'm a 154 pound fighter! now im a 155 pound fighter! now im a 164.5 pound fighter!
          I think faking retirement then coming back after the division cools off is more ducking than jumping weight classes.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
            No, I agree. It depends on the situation, but say Santa-Cruz or Frampton moving up to stay away from Rigo or Canelo doing whatever he's doing thee days with weight to avoid GGG.
            I understand what you mean..

Comment

yeah in certain situations no doubt

ofc the most famous example is canelo lol

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                He didn't move up to avoid Rigo. He was killing himself making weight. It showed in his fight against LSC. He looked like **** against Quigg and looked great at the higher weight against LSC

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  He didn't move up to avoid Rigo. He was killing himself making weight. It showed in his fight against LSC. He looked like **** against Quigg and looked great at the higher weight against LSC
                  Ah, ok. I didn't know the weight was hurting him like that. Thanks for the info...

Comment

Yes, the way you described it, definitely, and it has happened. Like you mentioned, with so many titles, weight hopping can facilitate ducks while adding technicalities that can enhance the fighters resume.

Comment

Working...
                    X