No announcement yet.

Cotto's style could cost him a career ending beating at the hands of Alvarez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Science View Post
    Cotto's flat footed, come forward style would cost him a career ending beatdown at the hands of Canelo Alvarez. Unless Cotto trys to move and box like he did in Margarito 2, Cotto is going to get combination-ed to death and it will be very bloody, with his son crying on the audience.
    Great, great, great post.

You know boxing, my friend. Green k

Comment

I wouldn't call him flat footed, but basically he's being fed to a monster.

Canelo has grown into a beast. There's no way Cotto survives 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
        Cotto's flat footed, come forward style would cost him a career ending beatdown at the hands of Canelo Alvarez. Unless Cotto trys to move and box like he did in Margarito 2, Cotto is going to get combination-ed to death and it will be very bloody, with his son crying on the audience.
        Ahhhh, this so called boxing fans!

Comment

Personally I don't see cotto as being Flat Footed, he can box and use nice footwork... Sadly, he often doesn't Box unless he is hurt. My view, much like when he fought Mosley,Cotto will come out to try and make a fight but Canelo is no 40 year old Mosley, He is no broken down Martinez, He is no one eyed Margarito, and he is damn sure no Geale.

I remember when Cotto was known for his big body punches... It seems though he has completely lost that part of his game, and now seems to only head hunt. While on the other hand,Canelo went from a head hunter to an all around Boxer, utilizing all his tools and improving every fight. Canelo on the other hand, has showed many weaknesses while it seems the only weakness for Canelo is being out boxed. I don't see cotto doing this, in fact I see a big KO for Canelo in the later rounds, possibly championship rounds.

Comment

Cotto is far from flat footed but I will say that I would be shocked if Cotto can move for 12 rounds and avoid standing in front of Canelo.

See the thing is, when you watch 2 boxers vs Canelo (Lara and Mayweather) both took different approaches.

Lara moved, but he wasn't effective in his counters with the exception of the jab and a few crosses. Of course Canelo failed to catch him in that fight but I believe the judges saw that at least Canelo was being the aggressor while Lara was just running.

Mayweather though, showed why he's the best lb 4 lb fighter in the world. He moved, but also stood in front of Canelo and countered beautifully landing hard, crisp clean shots for 12 rounds.

Can Cotto do that? I don't think so, eventually Cotto is going to find his way in front of Canelo and that's not a place he wants to be. One of the punches Cotto is most susceptible to is the uppercut and that might be Canelo's best punch. Especially off the jab counter.

Cotto has a great jab, one of the best in the sport IMO, but I just don't see him sticking and moving for 12 rounds too keep Canelo off of him. We will see, I'm leaning towards Canelo IF he comes in with the right game plan of aggression. If he stands and boxes with Cotto, he will make it a more difficult fight than it needs to be for him.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              I stopped reading at flat footed. You guys are so quick to try and label fighters because you do not know what you are looking at. Cotto is not and has never been flat footed, in fact I think he has better feet than Canelo. Just because you don't move your feet like Pacquiao or Mayweather doesn't mean you are flat footed. Cotto has good footwork when moving forward or backward, his feet are not what you call 'fast' but he is far from flat footed.
              Agreed. Damn pre teens...

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post
                I wouldn't call him flat footed, but basically he's being fed to a monster.

Canelo has grown into a beast. There's no way Cotto survives 12 rounds.
                i disagree. He had Angulo right in front of him and teed off, and still couldn't get him out of there. He's been matched well. I dont think we really know where he is since the Floyd fight. He fought a coward and then some corpses. I'd like to see him versus a solid opponent before calling him a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                  i disagree. He had Angulo right in front of him and teed off, and still couldn't get him out of there. He's been matched well. I dont think we really know where he is since the Floyd fight. He fought a coward and then some corpses. I'd like to see him versus a solid opponent before calling him a monster.
                  El Blanco with the logic. Green K credit.

Comment

Theres a link to the cotto full fights thread I made in my sig. Watch his fights. Learn something about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                      He couldn't get Angulo out of there? Did I miss something? Angulo took a hellacious beating for 10 rounds or whatever it was and it had to be stopped.

That's more Angulo having an iron chin and will of a lion than Canelo not getting him out of there. He was hitting him at will with whatever he wanted. That fight went on too long btw.

Comment

Working...
                      X