Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the deal with not showing Thurmans belt?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
    Have you seen the commercial for Deontay Wilder where he proclaimed himself as "The Heavyweight Champion of the World". Apparently they're ok with that.

They also didn't mention that Garcia was the 140 pound Champ. They just said a fight between undefeated Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson (though checking boxrec just now, his last fight wasn't for any of the 140 titles, so he may have gotten stripped? I don't know).
    Pretty sure Garcia vs Peterson is a catchweight if 143 or something like that so it is in fact a non title fight.

Comment

Wilder didn't say "WBC" he said he was THE heavyweight champion, which was comical.

The ABC titles are a joke now anyway. PBC belts would be just as legit as the ABC titles mean so goddamn little.

Comment

During the intro, Al Michaels said the PBC is about fan accessibility, with "less of an emphasis on jockeying for belts, and more of a focus on competitive fights."

So they're downplaying the belts. Guess they forgot to tell Molina about the "competitive fights" part.

Comment

It's definately the UFC model.

Haymon's already tied the sport up signing most of the best boxers.

Once he introduces his own PBC belt there will be no need for his fighters to pay sanctioning fee's to the other orgs...
          He's looking to take away the orgs power to control who fights who. Haymon wants it all.

There will be fighters left out who are great talents. Haymon will hold the sway that they have to sign to his promotion to challenge his fighters.

In 5-10 years we could end up with no WBC/WBO/WBA/IBF, he's answering the fans that say there are too many belts and too many champions.

Haymon's gonna own the sport.

Jay-Z can make some money but Haymon is thinking long & thinking big

Comment

if PBC don't want to mention the sanctioning bodies of the boxers title, can they sue PBC for using the title for their benefits?

Say for example Boxer A WBC welterweight champion fighting against boxer B a number 1 rated WBC welterweight on PBC

They introduce them as on the red corner Boxer A a welterweight champion and on the blue corner Boxer B number 1 rated welterweight aren't PBC using the title of a sanctioning body WBC for their benefits?

Welterweight champion of what? number 1 rated welterweight of what?

are fans watching boxers fight because of their name because of their record or because of the title they hold?

Sure hardcore fans and those knowledgeable boxing fans knows boxers their title and they records just mentioning their names but what about the casuals?

How Many would you think will watch a fight if the banner show Keith Thurman with his picture vs Robert Guerrero with his picture?

PBC is using the sanctioning body's title for their benefits only if they intentionally left out the sanctioning body's name.

and if they are really into PBC title they should start from the scratch those records made by the boxers are owned by the sanctioning bodies not the boxers correct me if I am wrong?
            Last edited by Rath; 03-08-2015, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Basically the belt orgs have to respond and quickly, or they will be left out in the cold soon (at least in the U.S.). I'm curious if other business opportunists are thinking of doing what Haymon is doing in other parts of the world, like Asia and Europe, bypassing the belt orgs and monopolizing boxing in their regions. Interesting times.

Comment

When the program started, they specifically mentioned, PBC was created with an emphasis on great fights and not belts (basically they insinuated belts were meaningless). Something of that nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                  Have you seen the commercial for Deontay Wilder where he proclaimed himself as "The Heavyweight Champion of the World". Apparently they're ok with that.

They also didn't mention that Garcia was the 140 pound Champ. They just said a fight between undefeated Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson (though checking boxrec just now, his last fight wasn't for any of the 140 titles, so he may have gotten stripped? I don't know).
                  I think they said Garcia has to defend his title after the Lamont fight or he's getting stripped, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
                    if PBC don't want to mention the sanctioning bodies of the boxers title, can they sue PBC for using the title for their benefits?

Say for example Boxer A WBC welterweight champion fighting against boxer B a number 1 rated WBC welterweight on PBC

They introduce them as on the red corner Boxer A a welterweight champion and on the blue corner Boxer B number 1 rated welterweight aren't PBC using the title of a sanctioning body WBC for their benefits?

Welterweight champion of what? number 1 rated welterweight of what?

are fans watching boxers fight because of their name because of their record or because of the title they hold?

Sure hardcore fans and those knowledgeable boxing fans knows boxers their title and they records just mentioning their names but what about the casuals?

How Many would you think will watch a fight if the banner show Keith Thurman with his picture vs Robert Guerrero with his picture?

PBC is using the sanctioning body's title for their benefits only if they intentionally left out the sanctioning body's name.

and if they are really into PBC title they should start from the scratch those records made by the boxers are owned by the sanctioning bodies not the boxers correct me if I am wrong?
                    The records are owned and earned by the fighters. Haymon owns the fighters & pays them well.

He will definately feed off the old guard while he establishes his brand. It's pure business sense & from a legal stand point it's legit.
                    The org's are similar to a union & it's undeniable that things have become confusing for casual fans because of the orgs willingness to cash in.
                    Regular champs, super champs, diamond champs...who's the champ?
                    By referring to the boxers as just "a" champion at the weight he's not breaking any laws, he can easily argue that he's simplifying it for the casual viewer.
                    PBC can also answer that the internet is there for those that wish, that they aren't hiding anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
                      The records are owned and earned by the fighters. Haymon owns the fighters & pays them well.

He will definately feed off the old guard while he establishes his brand. It's pure business sense & from a legal stand point it's legit.
                      The org's are similar to a union & it's undeniable that things have become confusing for casual fans because of the orgs willingness to cash in.
                      Regular champs, super champs, diamond champs...who's the champ?
                      By referring to the boxers as just "a" champion at the weight he's not breaking any laws, he can easily argue that he's simplifying it for the casual viewer.
                      PBC can also answer that the internet is there for those that wish, that they aren't hiding anything.
                      I get what you said but look at it this way, if PBC is going to make their own belt then Broner and Thurman record under PBC is 1W 0L 0D 0KO and Guerrero and Molina records are 0W 1L 0D 0KO. I think they have to start from the scratch

you get what I am trying to say?

Comment

Working...
                      X