Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can a muay thai fighter take part in UFC?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a muay thai fighter take part in UFC?

i was looking to take part in muay thai but i wanted too ask can they fight in UFC can muay thai fighters be on UFC.

yes they can, and there's plenty of fighters in the ufc with a strong muay thai background such as anderson silva. you're gonna need to learn more than just muay thai if you want to compete and be successful in mma.

Comment

Yep, also going to need to know boxing and BJJ, submission wrestling/sambo.

Comment

Originally posted by aboow_mahdi View Post
        i was looking to take part in muay thai but i wanted too ask can they fight in UFC can muay thai fighters be on UFC.
        Can I make one suggestion? When an individual wants to study Gracie JJ for example, they will ask for and receive detailed information on a teacher's lineage and rank. This prevents fraud.

Muay Thai is often taught by people who are in fact kick boxers. There is a difference! You should verify the lineage and the teacher so you can be certain you are studying from a real Muay Thai teacher. Most times you study from a guy who learned the base techniques of Muay Thai and little else. There is nothing wrong with that, but its not the same thing and kickboxing is really not a substitution for what the other posters have suggested, namely: wrestling, boxing, etc, etc.

kick boxing tends to half azz boxing and kicking...thats an opinion, but your better off learning how to box and going to a Korean stylist (for example), and a Muay Thai stylist, to see different ways of kicking effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Can I make one suggestion? When an individual wants to study Gracie JJ for example, they will ask for and receive detailed information on a teacher's lineage and rank. This prevents fraud.

Muay Thai is often taught by people who are in fact kick boxers. There is a difference! You should verify the lineage and the teacher so you can be certain you are studying from a real Muay Thai teacher. Most times you study from a guy who learned the base techniques of Muay Thai and little else. There is nothing wrong with that, but its not the same thing and kickboxing is really not a substitution for what the other posters have suggested, namely: wrestling, boxing, etc, etc.

kick boxing tends to half azz boxing and kicking...thats an opinion, but your better off learning how to box and going to a Korean stylist (for example), and a Muay Thai stylist, to see different ways of kicking effectively.

The other guy in my sig to my left (short stocky one ) is the former Muay Thai World champion i posted his credentials below . He was invited to UFC 1 but declined due to $$$$$$ they were offering 500 dollars or so ? lol To collect the 60,000 you had to win the entire event . We train on occasion, not my style but i use it for clinch hitting . Hes very good .....very .

Kru. Hamza was trained and certified by Kru. Yodtong Sennans's Sityotong Muay Thai Boxing Camp located 150 kilometers south of Bangkok just on the outskirts of the city of Pattaya In Thailand, and has received his instructors certificate from Kru. Yodtong Senanan.

He is a certified instructor and registered under the USMTA for further informaiton on Kru Hamza Maisonet, Jr. visit the website www.usmta.com Kru Hamza Maisonet is currently ranked as: State and Regional Champion. Titles under the USMTA New York State Champion, Mid West Division Champion, Eastern Division Champion, Regional Champion and former USMTA Welterweight World Champion and a* Tri-State Champion under KICK, World Champion under the USKBA. Holds 30 Wins, and 2 Losses.

He was as good as Phil Nurse practically ,he almost beat him ( Nurse teached Jon Jones and many of those guys that included Muay Thai into their game. I know Hamza hss MMA champions that won ,not sure who they would be.
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 01-10-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            The other guy in my sig to my left (short stocky one ) is the former Muay Thai World champion i posted his credentials below . He was invited to UFC 1 but declined due to $$$$$$ they were offering 500 dollars or so ? lol To collect the 60,000 you had to win the entire event . We train on occasion, not my style but i use it for clinch hitting . Hes very good .....very .

Kru. Hamza was trained and certified by Kru. Yodtong Sennans's Sityotong Muay Thai Boxing Camp located 150 kilometers south of Bangkok just on the outskirts of the city of Pattaya In Thailand, and has received his instructors certificate from Kru. Yodtong Senanan.

He is a certified instructor and registered under the USMTA for further informaiton on Kru Hamza Maisonet, Jr. visit the website www.usmta.com Kru Hamza Maisonet is currently ranked as: State and Regional Champion. Titles under the USMTA New York State Champion, Mid West Division Champion, Eastern Division Champion, Regional Champion and former USMTA Welterweight World Champion and a* Tri-State Champion under KICK, World Champion under the USKBA. Holds 30 Wins, and 2 Losses.

He was as good as Phil Nurse practically ,he almost beat him ( Nurse teached Jon Jones and many of those guys that included Muay Thai into their game. I know Hamza hss MMA champions that won ,not sure who they would be.
            Good information. I am always amused by how many people "fought Thai boxers" yet you speak to sanctioned Thai fighters... and you get a different story entirely.

has there ever been a Thai boxer who competed in any MMA tournament? I can't think of any.

I remember when I felt that kick to the leg the first time...youchey!!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              Good information. I am always amused by how many people "fought Thai boxers" yet you speak to sanctioned Thai fighters... and you get a different story entirely.

has there ever been a Thai boxer who competed in any MMA tournament? I can't think of any.

I remember when I felt that kick to the leg the first time...youchey!!
              Off hand i know Orlando Weit was Muay Thai fighter (Maybe french champion ? ) He was in UFC 2 ,im sure theres more .

Comment

How about Marco Ruas? He knocked down Paul Varelans in the finals of the UFC 7 tournament with some brutal leg kicks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Ruas

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  How about Marco Ruas? He knocked down Paul Varelans in the finals of the UFC 7 tournament with some brutal leg kicks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Ruas
                  Ruas dabbled in Muay Thai but he wasnt a Muay Thai stylist . He had a hybrid fighting system ,he had no rank as a Muay Thai practioner and no fights in sport Muay Thai . He had boxing bouts and experience ,he used Muay Thai kicks effectively but i wouldn't categorise him as a Muay Thai stylist bc most of his set ups were boxing striking and relied on submissions more .

Comment

Working...
                  X