Was Danny Jacobs vs Peter Quillin A Premature Stoppage? *Official Poll*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post

intense stare .

dude he was rocking around the ring with no idea what was going on other than the fact that he was in a fight. that's not enough. watch him not react at all when doc stops the fight. he either didn't care, or didn't notice immediately that the fight was stopped. doc waves his hands right in front of him, and all quillin does is stare.

staring does not mean you are fit to fight. you need to do more, and quillin wasn't doing it.

that was a great stoppage. great, great stoppage. doc is a great ref. we need to air on the side of caution when a guy's ability to continue is in question. looking at this gif, which is the most realistic representation of what doc was seeing, you can't tell me that his ability to continue wasn't in question. in my mind there was no doubt.

the only argument i'm entertaining this point is that it was early. he hadn't been taking a long beating. i'm not suffering anybody telling me "he looked good to me" because he didn't. there wasn't just a weakness in his legs. there was a full body "i'm only standing because i'm a pro boxer and i'm virtually unconscious," wobble to him.

i don't want to see a guy in that condition being allowed to fight. that's not a the sport for me.
    Good clip of the stoppage. When a fighter get hurts to the state where Quillin was, that's the whole point of the ref/rules to stop the fight - he's been beaten.

Fans have been spoiled with the standing 8-count bs. If a fighter's hurt bad enough where they can't immediately defend themselves - the fight should be stopped, not be given a time-out to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
      In my opinion, Mosley was in better shape throughout this fight than Quillin was at the time of stoppage.
      Maybe. Plus I forgot that Smoger has been known for letting fights go on longer than they should. Another ref might have stopped it.

Comment

Quillin was about to get "murderlized" and the ref knew it. A "premature stoppage" I can forgive that, the guy was erring on the side of caution. But what's unforgivable is allowing a man to get pummeled for no reason, granted it was a title fight with high stakes, but if you think about it every fight comes with the same risk although the rewards may vary.

Comment

Good stoppage. Quillin did not look right, period! He looked Dazed and Confused, no pun intended. Jacobs has real serious power and Quillin was hit in the right spot.

Tired of hearing of these two having weak China, both have been put down by huge punchers but got back up push forward (outside of last night for Quillin and Priog.

Comment

Working...
          X