o and there is another question at the end i wanted to ask thanks

first off im 16 turning 17 in a month
    im 145 lbs

ok
    i do tricep press at 210 lbs 3x10
    curls 40 lb dumbells 3x10
    bench 160 lbs 3x10
    leg extensions 200 lbs 3x10
    chest pull (hand extended to your sides and pulling to your front) 150 lbs 3x10
    leg raises (abs) 3x25

o and for my complete workout after weight lifting i do
    3x30 pushups
    3x10 pullups
    3x75 squats

also i drink 2 cups (2 scoops each which is recommended on the back for max results) of nitro-tech daily.. but my question is: is it good? i mean for someone my age, is it good or bad or doesnt really have an effect

thanks for answerin
    Last edited by random775; 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM.

That kind of weightlifting, generally speaking, will not improve your boxing in any meaningful way, unless you are a complete, spoon-chested pencilneck with no strength whatsoever.

You will get more benefit from controlled, form-intensive reps on compound lifts -- squat, deadlift, and clean -- than from any isolation exercises; provided, of course, that you don't have some congenital weakness that you need to train with a specific lift to overcome.

Compound lifts train your body to use many sets of muscles in concert, which is what boxing is all about. Big biceps or ripped abs will not make you a better boxer. However, conditioning your body to deliver coordinated, explosive movements with 10, 15, or even 20+ muscles simultaneously, WILL make you a better boxer. You will move better, you will hit better.

Dump the curls, the bench, the leg raises, & the lat pulls. Do big Olympic lifts, with moderate weights, and a lot of them. When I'm boxing, I spend 60-90 minutes in the gym every night doing 6-8 SETS of either squats, deadlifts, or cleans, 3 times a week, one exercise per night. I'm boxing the other days, and running stairs every day.
    Last edited by fraidycat; 11-29-2006, 04:07 PM.

Comment

it good for condition and a bit of power and defense if you get hit

as well as it give you punchs power as well as stamina but depend on type of weight training

Comment

well im not spoon-chested my body looks allot like mayweathers but not as ripped but for my body type i have allot of muscle
        and i dont have any congenital weaknesses

but you two answered diff answers
        wat are compound lifts and where can i learn about em?

thanks mate

Comment

www.bodybuilding.com

that a good website for bodybuilding and other sport in general

lot of into even of how to punch.

one of the best example for weight training in boxing that broke the taboo is Holyfield

Comment

UH OH Another Potatoes attracting thread.

I didn't really want to get into this one, but oh well. I don't have very much to do today.

The type of weightlifting you are doing is not benificial to a boxers training program. Isolating muscle groups ie. curls trricept presses are good exersizes when your objective is to create a certain image of your self. Not the case when you want to be building performance. For Boxing you need to avoid single joint exersizes is a good rule of thumb. If you are not using more than 1 or two muscle groups you are not training for boxing. Compound or multiple joint exersizes are the target for such a training regemin. Barbell Power Cleans,Barbell clean and press, Dumbell clean and press, Squats, Dead lifts. Military press, Lat pull downs, Rows. and even the Bench press are better for a boxer to work on. Not a large repetoir, but believe me do these exersizes correctly mixed with some good core training "and not just crunches" you will develope a more powerful and agile version of you.
            After a discussion with another member here on boxing scene I learned that I was going about my training as far as reps, sets and weight in the wrong way. I am finding improvement by going heavy for a fewer amount of reps and sets not exceding 15-20 actual reps for each exersize resting about 40 seconds inbetween sets. And increasing weight for multiple set sessions of every exersize. I say multiple set, because I have been doing some single sets of 15 at about 90% of my max.
            The use of weights to develope speed, strength and stanima has been proven to be effective not only in boxing, but most all sports. You can benifit from using weights provided you use them correctly. Do keep one thing in mind a boxer needs to keep three particular attributes in tandem. That is Max strength, Speed, and Endurance. train one more than the other two you get a lop sided result.

Comment

Originally posted by random775 View Post
              well im not spoon-chested my body looks allot like mayweathers but not as ripped but for my body type i have allot of muscle
              and i dont have any congenital weaknesses

but you two answered diff answers
              wat are compound lifts and where can i learn about em?

thanks mate
              Compound lifts are also called "Olympic lifts" in the gym. Sorry for the confusion.

Power Clean:
              http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...me=Power+Clean

video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vide...powerclean.wmv

Deadlift:
              http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...rbell+Deadlift

video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003...ontofknees.wmv

Squat: (you know this one, but for people who don't, here is a GREAT squat article)
              http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy4.htm

video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mitchsquatdsl.wmv

And YES, I know the site I'm referencing is BODYBUILDING.com. And YES, I know that BOXING is not BODYBUILDING. But you will be hard pressed, from what I've seen, to get many correct answers about weight training on most boxing sites.

Comment

understood
                i havnt checked the site yet, im going to now
                but can i still do pushups and pullups and situps ?
                i love doing those^^

Comment

can someone explain what spoon chested means lol

Comment

from my experiences it is bad. Some lifting is good, but for example back in High School I had started lifting heavy for football and developed alot more strength but lost alot of speed stamina and it hurt my biceps to hold my hands up cause the bicep was flexed.

Comment

Working...
                    X