Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you gotta admit, Larry Merchant left boxing in shame...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbbigmike View Post
    Mayweather threatened them, and refused to fight on HBO if merchant was calling his fights, seeing the writing on the wall of possibly losing Floyd hbo put Merchant on time out, Mayweather left shortly thereafter...

Wish Merchant was in the ring weeks back for Canelo Khan when ggg came up
    Larry Merchant's contract ended, he wasn't kicked out. According to Merchant himself him and HBO Sports ended in good terms. I don't know why people fabricating otherwise

In Floyd's last HBO fight vs Cotto, Merchant said that Floyd went to him to apologize before the fight for the September 2011 incident and he accepted it. That was the last time they publicly interacted, the May-Cotto post fight and no drama happened there

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
      There were times I liked Merchant, then there were times I wanted George or Roy to knock his teeth out.
      definitely. Like the Golota vs Bowe bout... Merchant said that Golota didn't intentionally do that 3 strike blow to Bowe's nuts! lol And George had to correct his arse, and when the replay came...Merchant was all quiet.

Comment

Disagree. He was great for the sport and HBO. He was able to speak his mind, which was a great thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          definitely. Like the Golota vs Bowe bout... Merchant said that Golota didn't intentionally do that 3 strike blow to Bowe's nuts! lol And George had to correct his arse, and when the replay came...Merchant was all quiet.
          Yea, you know alot of people didnt like George as a commentator. I laways enjoyed listening to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
            Yea, you know alot of people didnt like George as a commentator. I laways enjoyed listening to him.
            Big George is the ATG Boss imo. funny enough if it wasn't for George, Merchant and Lampley could've been in danger ringside when the riot broke loose for Golota vs Bowe 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JFYM2fvZQ&t=43m11s

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
              And I'm sure a lot of people thought that the incident after Mayweather-Ortiz was an isolated thing, but it wasn't. Merchant had been breaking Floyd's balls for years.

During the Bruseles fight, fúcking dude starts complaining about Floyd's comp and said "there were tougher fighters, and he didn't wanna fight em" or some shít like that.

Merchant should've just done his job and acted like a professional, but he was always inserting his personal opinion into everything.
              uhmmm, he was an ANALYST genius, inserting his opinion was his job

Comment

F#ck that guy. I don't understand why anyone liked him. He added nothing at all most of the time except his smart guy bs comparisons of boxing to 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea or some sorta thing like that.

And I really got no f#cking clue why people act like he was some brilliant interviewer. All he did was go out & ask guys f#cked up questions. I musta missed my true calling as the greatest boxing post fight interview of all time if the job is just about pissing guys off. "Hey Roy, terrific fight & all, but what I really wanna talk about is your mom's *******...during the fight I was staying at them & they are won der ful Roy. And I think she even caught me staring & winked at me...whatcha think about that Roy?"

Larry Merchant is the Adrien Broner of commentating. I'm just left wondering why so many people think so highly of him.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Larry Merchant's contract ended, he wasn't kicked out. According to Merchant himself him and HBO Sports ended in good terms. I don't know why people fabricating otherwise

In Floyd's last HBO fight vs Cotto, Merchant said that Floyd went to him to apologize before the fight for the September 2011 incident and he accepted it. That was the last time they publicly interacted, the May-Cotto post fight and no drama happened there
                  If this was true, why was Merchant doing little YouTube interviews with fighters, and then doing commentating with Top Rank and Sky Sports? You think Merchant would leave HBO to go work for Top Rank and Sky Sports, and do little YouTube videos like Sechback?

Merchant was FIRED. Parting in good terms means they just fired him quietly. Problem was Merchant factored into the decision that Mayweather made going to Showtime. It wasn't that Merchant made the difference, just that even the slightest or minor reason like that could have tipped the cup. That was too much for HBO.

Because Mayweather went to Showtime, HBO lost out on hosting Mayweather vs. Pacquiao exclusively. HUGE amount of money. Merchant happened to be one of the various reasons, so they let him go. Also, when Floyd made his debut All-Access for Showtime, this was one of the very first things he talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    uhmmm, he was an ANALYST genius, inserting his opinion was his job
                    lol. An ATG has to remind an "ANALYST" the reasons why fighters do what they do. I mean what would Big George know... clearly Merchant knows but others don't. Glad HBO canned his ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nha3JQOFjDo&t=44m14s

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Larry is the man,,,, his problem was he covered boxing in the golden era, when fighters fought each other and wasn't all this crap with catchweights, 6 world champs a division, marinating, etc

Boxing soft as hell now and that's why the sport is dead in America.. It's only big in euro countries where dudes cherrypick like crazy, and the public thinks it's great,,, in America that crap don't sell. Ie Brook vs jojo, haye's comeback opponents, sturm, abraham, etc
                      At least we support our own, your country would rather put a foreign medalist on PPV rather than a homegrown medalist on PPV. Majority of fans support Boxing fullstop and you all know when we don't approve of a ****ty cards. Do you not remember the outrage at Brook vs Jojo?. The sport is simply more popular in this country than it is in yours.

Comment

Working...
                      X