Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's get this **** straight. Size had very little to do with Lomo's win over Rigo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardt View Post
    At 37, Rigo had probably the least number of fights, least amount of punches taken for any fighter of the past 20 years with no wear and tear punishment. I dont even remember a 37 year old with only 17 fights so his boxing age isnt his chronological age, and very obviously his defense and small number of fights kept him preserved. He showed no signs of slipping at all, and nor should he with 17 pro fights.

So size and age didn't play a factor

Come on

When was the last small guy to be near his peak at at least 37 years of age. I can't think of any. This isn't the HW where a guy hits his stride in his late 20's - 30s

So somehow Rigo is the only small fighter of the past however many years to preserve himself to be near the top of his game at that age because he didn't fight that much? You think jumping up 2 divisions and fighting 2-3 rounds in 2 years helped his cause. Your dreaming and not accepting reality if that's the case

He had hundreds of amateur fights( which would take a toll) he was relatively inactive you can't make a case he was near the peak because he 1 punched Jazzie Dickens and made another lower level guy quit after a round in 2 years . Is Rigo a beast and could probably beat most fighters in and around his weight Probably but Loma isn't most fighters he's on another level, whether you think he's P4P #1 or not he's elite A class fighter of course a fighter that's older, inactive and smaller probably doesn't stand a chance

I don't think it's blasphemy to suggest Age , inactivity & Weight contributed to his sub par performance also he was facing a f.ucking killer in Loma

Comment

SIMPLE - Lom does things in the ring that Rigo does not do and without a huge power difference, Rigo's skills do not line up to Lom's.

Rigo has that great left hand, accurate and powerful, great defense. What he is missing is a right hook, inability to turn right handed, no angles, fewer combinations, and a safety first style that limits his output and limits more limited fighters from getting to him. Add up all the pros and cons of each fighter and it is easy to see that Lom has more overall skills and that and nothing else made the difference.

Comment

Even Lomachenko himself said it did, but let's listen to this random groupie on boxingscene instead. He knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
          The huge celebration just stemmed from all of the Rigo supporters acting like they were some "sweet science boxing analysts" and basically seeing their egos get shattered.
          Sure, man. It’s always like that. To the victor goes the spoils. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            Even Lomachenko himself said it did, but let's listen to this random groupie on boxingscene instead. He knows best.
            and rigo said it didnt, but you conveniently ignored that part

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
              Mate lomachenko has rigos number regardless of age weight etc

He is a great fighter, but lomachenko is very bad match up for him
              Maybe, maybe not. We’ll never know. That bout proved nothing. These are two athletes who passed each other in the night. Rigo won his second gold medal four years before a Lomo won his first. Think about that. That’s the age gap. Then they were never in the same weight division. Vasyl was always in the higher weight categories. There’s just no comparison. Like I said, maybe you’re right, and all things being equal, Lomachenko is better. But maybe you’re wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post

Come on

When was the last small guy to be near his peak at at least 37 years of age. I can't think of any. This isn't the HW where a guy hits his stride in his late 20's - 30s

So somehow Rigo is the only small fighter of the past however many years to preserve himself to be near the top of his game at that age because he didn't fight that much? You think jumping up 2 divisions and fighting 2-3 rounds in 2 years helped his cause. Your dreaming and not accepting reality if that's the case

He had hundreds of amateur fights( which would take a toll) he was relatively inactive you can't make a case he was near the peak because he 1 punched Jazzie Dickens and made another lower level guy quit after a round in 2 years . Is Rigo a beast and could probably beat most fighters in and around his weight Probably but Loma isn't most fighters he's on another level, whether you think he's P4P #1 or not he's elite A class fighter of course a fighter that's older, inactive and smaller probably doesn't stand a chance

I don't think it's blasphemy to suggest Age , inactivity & Weight contributed to his sub par performance also he was facing a f.ucking killer in Loma
                When was the last time a 37 year old had 17 fights and on top of that had not taken any real punishment in those 17 fights????? Again, chronological age and boxing age are not the same. You look at noticeable slippage and punishment to determine if age is a factor and Rigo did not have either of those. Many fighters have won big fights in their 30's and 40's against younger fighters. And there are a number of fighters who came off layoffs of over a year, even almost 3 years with not a single round and won fights and at higher divisions. Again, it is VERY OBVIOUS that the skill sets of Lom and Rigo are on two entirely different levels. Does Rigo use angles like Lom??? Throw punches in bunches like Lom??? Turn a fighter as often as Lom??? Have a right hook???? Rigo doesnt have the tool set of Lom, period.

And Rigo would have been beaten by all those younger fighters he fought and the reason he wasnt was because of skills!
                Last edited by richardt; 12-11-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post

Come on

Age plays a major part in the average person’s everyday life, let alone in the razor’s-edge top athletes live on. I’m in my early fifties, and I can recall the difference between my performance at different ages in my life. I can tell you that 29 and 37 were significantly different, to put it mildly. I’ve always been athletic. I can only imagine the corresponding difference it makes among world champion athletes, especially where speed and reflexes are major factors. Those are always the first to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                    and rigo said it didnt, but you conveniently ignored that part
                    Bingo, right on the money! And as to age, Rigo was well over 30 when he beat guys in their 20's and the difference was skills, cause age sure as hell didnt prevent him from beating all those guys in their 20's and 30's who were younger than him.
                    Last edited by richardt; 12-11-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      Sure, man. It’s always like that. To the victor goes the spoils. Lol
                      I'm just saying that's why it happens after every big fight. If some of the fans showed a little more humility it would be a lot tamer.

Comment

Working...
                      X