No announcement yet.

Not allowed to spar without Passbook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not allowed to spar without Passbook?

Hey guys question about sparing. My current boxing gym trainer said that I'm not allowed to spar without the USAboxing Passbook by law. Is this true? I've trained at MMA gyms before this and have sparred before so is this all boxing gyms or just this specific one? If it helps I live in Chicago Illinois. Thanks.

Some gyms worry about licensed boxers sparring unlicensed boxers due to insurance reasons. The gym I go to works like this. I don't have a license as of now, but I can still spar with other unlicensed people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ando1015 View Post
      Hey guys question about sparing. My current boxing gym trainer said that I'm not allowed to spar without the USAboxing Passbook by law. Is this true? I've trained at MMA gyms before this and have sparred before so is this all boxing gyms or just this specific one? If it helps I live in Chicago Illinois. Thanks.
      Its for insurance purposes but really if you are going to spar and/or want to, its best to pay the $ to get licensed.

Comment

seems strange. every gym i trained at lets people just walk in and spar. some have said they wont let you, that you need to become a member of the gym or get a competition license for insurance reasons but they never follow through on it.

Comment

Having your insurance plan for your boxing activity is a smart move. The gyms requiring it are also smart, the USA amateur organization when I was active was the USA/ABF and that group had a blanket coverage that started when you left your house to go to the gym and returning home. Every boxer in my gym had a USA/ABF license even if they weren't competitive. To carry a huge insurance blanket for all members would have been very costly.
          Insurance=smart..............No Insurance ==Not so smart!
          Ray

Comment

But I was under the impression that if a person wanted to spar they would be allowed to, specifically because we obviously sign a waiver of liability upon entering the gym. I also thought that the USAboxing Passbook was only needed when you start actually looking for amature fights, not just gym sparring. Also mma is governed by the same state athletic commission and I sparred at those gyms in the past.

Comment

There's health insurance specifically for boxing?

I trained and sparred a handful of times at two different gyms. Didn't know this until now

Comment

If you owned and operated a gym would you guard against law suits?

If your taking punches do you want to cover the chances of minor to serious injury?

Signed waivers are often not worth the paper their written on.
                Your state athletic commission has nothing to do with you as an amateur. That goes back to the days of the old AAU, long gone and forgotten.

#1Assassin seems strange. every gym i trained at lets people just walk in and spar. some have said they wont let you, that you need to become a member of the gym or get a competition license for insurance reasons but they never follow through on it.............
                Those are pretty stupid people who are leaving themselves open to law suits and your not to bright either sparring without insurance. (no offense)

To set a simple broken nose at an ER is costing some bucks imagine something more serious like a damaged orbital bone or detached retina?

No one "plays" boxing it's not like basketball, boxing should always be taken very seriously. It's your body and your life!
                Ray

Comment

Because they don't want to be liable for your possible injuries. As a registered USA Boxing Gym, you're covered under USA Boxing's Insurance should something happen to you. As a business owner its only smart to require your fighters, gym members, and alike to be registered boxers with USA Boxing to cover any possible legal actions against the gym or coach.

From USA Boxing Insurance Policy:
                  "Eligibility
                  Sports Accident coverage is provided for coaches, managers, trainers, and officials who are registered with USA Boxing while participating in USA Boxing sanctioned events and organized practices only.

"Organized Practice" means participation in practice that is scheduled by USA Boxing, under the direct supervision and direct sponsorship of the coach or manager of USA Boxing.
                  "

Comment

Working...
                  X