Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRR fought Lamotta twice in 21 days and WOW even had a tuneup fight in between!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRR fought Lamotta twice in 21 days and WOW even had a tuneup fight in between!

Sugar Ray Robinson fought Jake Lamotta for the second time on Feb. 5 1943.

He lost to Lamotta by unanimous decision.

Two weeks later on Feb. 19 he fought and beat Jackie Wilson as a tune up fight.

ONE WEEK after beating Wilson he fights Lamotta again on Feb. 26 1943 and defeats him by unanimous decision.

3 fights in 21 days...amazing

One of the key reasons Boxing has completely fallen off from it's pedestal in the American sports scene. Guys used to fight all the time, including the superstars. You're lucky to see the top guys fight 2x per year, if that. The money has gotten so big that they can do that and make $40-60 million a year that way.

I'm not even asking for what SRR did, just give me like 4 or 5 fights per year from the stars of the sport. Impossible with the way promotions, PPV, revenue, etc works these days but still... throw a fan a bone

Comment

Yea the reason they fought that often was to feed their family and to survive. Sugar Ray didn't fight that much because he loved the sport. He fought to have money for groceries. If he was making money like elite boxers today then trust me he wouldn't have nearly as many fights as he does

Comment

who the **** cares
        anyone could have fights every week against bums

Comment

if robinson fought today you wouldnt here of may or pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
            if robinson fought today you wouldnt here of may or pac.
            obviously im gonna be put on the cross for this but floyd would box the sht outta robinson

UD

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
              obviously im gonna be put on the cross for this but floyd would box the sht outta robinson

UD
              mayweather wouldnt beat lamotta...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
                One of the key reasons Boxing has completely fallen off from it's pedestal in the American sports scene. Guys used to fight all the time, including the superstars. You're lucky to see the top guys fight 2x per year, if that. The money has gotten so big that they can do that and make $40-60 million a year that way.

I'm not even asking for what SRR did, just give me like 4 or 5 fights per year from the stars of the sport. Impossible with the way promotions, PPV, revenue, etc works these days but still... throw a fan a bone
                guys died much more often back then as well.. many stayed permanently damaged. I say 3 fights a year from each fighter is a good amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                  mayweather wouldnt beat lamotta...
                  ofcourse he ****in would, have you ever seen lamotta fight? he's a bum and hyped just because he won one fight vs robinson

if robinson can outbox him obviously mayweather can too

lamotta was the baldomir of that era

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
                    ofcourse he ****in would, have you ever seen lamotta fight? he's a bum and hyped just because he won one fight vs robinson

if robinson can outbox him obviously mayweather can too

lamotta was the baldomir of that era
                    thats goin in my sig ugh. f@cking classic.

Comment

Working...
                    X