No announcement yet.

Atheist pwns a couple of ******s on Faux News

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    I don't buy that it's a lack of understanding. There's literally nothing different from an atheist and a person of faith other than the aforementioned presence of faith. It's a trolling question, as insulting to an atheist as asking "how do atheists tie their shoes?"

I already covered leading by example in my previous post. We've tried that, and as pointed out, many of us still do by lecturing and engaging in public debates at universities all across the country. Nobody is listening.
    The lack of understanding i mentioned was more with the general public than the Fox news people. There are so many people who are blinkered by their religion and uneducated. In their minds; religion = right, non-religion = wrong. And i think they lack a basic curiosity into what others believe and most importantly WHY they believe what they do. So imo its important to answer these dumb questions, like in the video, and especially on tv, like you were talking to a child. As oppose to taking the bait, arguing, and living up to the stereotype of an arrogant, belittling atheist.
    My problem is that his attitude reflects on all of us. And the title 'atheist' is becoming synonymous with arrogance and self righteousness. Its embarrassing to say you're an atheist, because of people like him.

I think debating is another form of arguing. With a winner and public vote. Often i think the religious person wins, and therefore i find debates pointless.
    I think people are listening. But all they are hearing is ridicule. No wonder they are defensive and closed minded to atheism. With numbers dwindling in churches, and books about atheism everywhere, plus science and religion battling it out in the class room and the internet, i think now is the time to lead by example. The internet is relatively new. And all i see is arguing. I assume its young people who dont know better.
    You honestly believe that by being reasonable, understanding, and civil in a debate with a group of people who are anything but we can reach a goal of mutual respect? It seems we've reached an impasse, good sir.
    Yes. He was asked a question and chose to immediately respond with mockery. He took the bait, and gave them what they wanted. Ive seen these people answered with calm logic, and they have been forced to listen and respond with a certain level of respect. When you're on tv, you are really addressing the public and projecting an image. Even atheists in this thread thought he came across like a twat.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      The lack of understanding i mentioned was more with the general public than the Fox news people. There are so many people who are blinkered by their religion and uneducated. In their minds; religion = right, non-religion = wrong. And i think they lack a basic curiosity into what others believe and most importantly WHY they believe what they do. So imo its important to answer these dumb questions, like in the video, and especially on tv, like you were talking to a child. As oppose to taking the bait, arguing, and living up to the stereotype of an arrogant, belittling atheist.
      My problem is that his attitude reflects on all of us. And the title 'atheist' is becoming synonymous with arrogance and self righteousness. Its embarrassing to say you're an atheist, because of people like him.

I think debating is another form of arguing. With a winner and public vote. Often i think the religious person wins, and therefore i find debates pointless.
      I think people are listening. But all they are hearing is ridicule. No wonder they are defensive and closed minded to atheism. With numbers dwindling in churches, and books about atheism everywhere, plus science and religion battling it out in the class room and the internet, i think now is the time to lead by example. The internet is relatively new. And all i see is arguing. I assume its young people who dont know better.

Yes. He was asked a question and chose to immediately respond with mockery. He took the bait, and gave them what they wanted. Ive seen these people answered with calm logic, and they have been forced to listen and respond with a certain level of respect. When you're on tv, you are really addressing the public and projecting an image. Even atheists in this thread thought he came across like a twat.
      Yeah I agree with this. Ultimately he is only continuing the image of the 'condescending atheist' to the public watching the program. He shouldn't have played their game and just answered in a civil manner that would have left a better impression with the viewers.

Comment

Like how they try and interrupt his replies like they know they're gonna get trumped up somewhere in the discussion.

But what he's saying is true. You can't rely on mere prayers to get you through natural (god-made/mane-made) disasters. Waiting on a god to rescue lives is what gets people killed.

Not even a god intervenes in wars where millions of young lives are lost.

Then again, many will argue that maybe ... perhaps ... god is allowing wars to happen for a reason.

Comment

Working...
        X