No announcement yet.

how do you like to feint?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fraidycat
    I came into boxing from fencing. Feints are a huge part of fencing. The best feint is the one that looks *exactly* like an attack. A twitch of the shoulder or a pump fake is not enough.

One of the ways my fencing coach would get us to feint convincingly was to have us actually start the attack, begin to engage, then "change our minds" at the last moment -- the idea being that YOU shouldn't even know if it's a feint or not when you begin the strike -- immediately starting a new attack once the opponent committs. It throws the opponent's rhythm off, and draws him into your first attack -- keep in mind that when you change attack vectors abruptly, you'll be open somewhere else; hopefully you've got him on the defensive at that point.

My feints in boxing are effective b/c I employ the same attitude toward them that I did to my saber feints. A good feint takes courage and a poker face.
    havent seen you around, welcome to the scene, dude. i feel like you could bring a nice, fresh perspective to the training boards with your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by saq26
      havent seen you around, welcome to the scene, dude. i feel like you could bring a nice, fresh perspective to the training boards with your experience.
      Thanks. I'm brand-****ing new at boxing (3 months) but I used to bodybuild and if I may say, I fenced quite well. I've been on these boards for a few months lurking; I prefer to keep my mouth shut on forums unless I have first-hand experience, and my boxing experience ain't much. I'd imagine that the psychology of the feint transfers over between all sports.

Comment

Thanks. I'm brand-****ing new at boxing (3 months) but I used to bodybuild and if I may say, I fenced quite well. I've been on these boards for a few months lurking; I prefer to keep my mouth shut on forums unless I have first-hand experience, and my boxing experience ain't much. I'd imagine that the psychology of the feint transfers over between all sports.
        yeah, when i first came here, i barely posted. now i spam like a mother****er.

same boat as you though, ive been at it since august with the boxing, which came as an interest secondary to my kickboxing and then me lifting weights and losing fat.

Comment

The classic feint is hook off the jab....

Comment

you been boxing for 3 months and you still think thats brand new??? im getting my first fight next month...

Comment

Originally posted by LightsOut Le
              you been boxing for 3 months and you still think thats brand new??? im getting my first fight next month...
              3 months is definitely brand new. Do you realize how much there is to learn in boxing? I've been in boxing since 1986 and I still learn something new just about every day...

Comment

Originally posted by LightsOut Le
                Call me a slow learner. I'm not proud. I'm moving at a speed I'm comfortable with.

I fenced for two years before my first real competition (outside of sparring with my class and later, my college team.) Granted, I've been at the gym 3-4 days per week for these last 3 months (5 days a week the first month.) But yeah. I have a hell of a lot to learn. I wouldn't dare step into a fight, yet. I'm about 180-185 lbs.; the guys in my weight class hit really Goddamn hard -- torn cartilage, whiplash, & concussion hard. If I **** up, I could get injured, or worse, injure someone else. I'm not remotely good enough to accept that degree of responsibility, yet.

Keep in mind, I'm 35, I'm 20 lbs. overweight, and I am not -- NOT -- a natural athlete. I'm learning to box to get over a fear of getting hit. Not to compete, not to go pro. Just to learn how to keep my head in a scrap, to slip and counter the next time someone takes a shot at me, and to lose about 25 lbs. in the bargain. I may do a local exhibition fight next spring.

Your mileage may vary.

I'm envious of anyone who has the physical talent to feel ready to compete after three months. Me, I'm still scared ****less.

Comment

oh sorry bout that....didnt know your specifications...

Comment

No big deal. I envy you your talent and your faith in yourself. Give 'em hell.

Comment

Working...
                    X