No announcement yet.

How do you rate 90s Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you rate 90s Mike Tyson?

Looking at Mike post Buster Douglas how do you rate him as a fighter?

Still had elite skills, but had lost the drive to train properly. He would have still been able to be a top fighter in any era, but his reign of dominance from the 80's was over forever.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Still had elite skills, but had lost the drive to train properly. He would have still been able to be a top fighter in any era, but his reign of dominance from the 80's was over forever.
      I really don't know what more one could say than the above.

There is also the principle of going from invincible to beatable... when I was a kid I played baseball on some competative teams. The first time I knew to try out was in a small after school baseball program. I would throw the ball hard as a pitcher and get the K everytime! I was a baller!!!

Well started pitching on a good team, throw that ball expecting a "whoosh" and hear a "crack!" see the ball flying in play.... whoops! what now?

Tyson would never have been as dominant simply because other professionals, coaches, were trying to figure out his blue print... One way the Douglas fight is often looked at: many trainers had said Mike would fall when he fought a big guy with a strong jab. Prior to that fight, mike fought a variety of excellent 80's heavyweights, but none of them really with the jab buster showed us that evening. Bruno certainly did not have a jab like that.

Sure other factors were at play, but the reality is in professional prize fighting, if you have a weakness, it is gonna be tested eventually.

Comment

He was still pretty good, but did not throw combinations. Tyson detractors argue on here that Tyson was the same fighter, but he wasn't because:
        1. He had little to no headmovement
        2. Barely threw combinations
        3. Was far slower. (80s Tyson threw the combo that finished ruddock in their first bout much faster than the 90s Tyson did).
        4. Fought for mere money after prison.

A certain tyson detractor (who has put me on his ignore list and ironically happens to be a wilder fan), claimed that Tyson ducked an era of "dangerous heavyweights". Im pretty sure Shot fighters (Tyson was shot after his holyfield rematch), don't fight top competition.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrownbomber_ View Post
          He was still pretty good, but did not throw combinations. Tyson detractors argue on here that Tyson was the same fighter, but he wasn't because:
          1. He had little to no headmovement
          2. Barely threw combinations
          3. Was far slower. (80s Tyson threw the combo that finished ruddock in their first bout much faster than the 90s Tyson did).
          4. Fought for mere money after prison.

A certain tyson detractor (who has put me on his ignore list and ironically happens to be a wilder fan), claimed that Tyson ducked an era of "dangerous heavyweights". Im pretty sure Shot fighters (Tyson was shot after his holyfield rematch), don't fight top competition.
          Tyson would have ascended indefinitely... Becoming a pure fighting machine... Alas, life got in the way!

Seriously though good observations. Yes, the head movement went, along with the fast feet, and combos.

Heck you can watch Liston, his last fight where he is past it and he still can string punches together... Mike just found it easier to use one punch and a prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            I really don't know what more one could say than the above.

There is also the principle of going from invincible to beatable... when I was a kid I played baseball on some competative teams. The first time I knew to try out was in a small after school baseball program. I would throw the ball hard as a pitcher and get the K everytime! I was a baller!!!

Well started pitching on a good team, throw that ball expecting a "whoosh" and hear a "crack!" see the ball flying in play.... whoops! what now?

Tyson would never have been as dominant simply because other professionals, coaches, were trying to figure out his blue print... One way the Douglas fight is often looked at: many trainers had said Mike would fall when he fought a big guy with a strong jab. Prior to that fight, mike fought a variety of excellent 80's heavyweights, but none of them really with the jab buster showed us that evening. Bruno certainly did not have a jab like that.

Sure other factors were at play, but the reality is in professional prize fighting, if you have a weakness, it is gonna be tested eventually.
            What? Pinklon had a crushing jab, one of the best ever, and we know what happened with prime Tyson.

The reason for Tyson downfall was the loss of everything, Gus, Rooney, Clayton, and his personal life, quit training. Prime Tyson is the most overpowered fighter ever, and it's just sad the way it panned out. But as Larry Holmes predicted earlier, "at some point Mike will just destroy himself", he was too young to be at that level.
            Last edited by jiopsi; 11-30-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jiopsi View Post
              What? Pinklon had a crushing jab, one of the best ever, and we know what happened with prime Tyson.

The reason for Tyson downfall was the loss of everything, Gus, Rooney, Clayton, and his personal life, quit training. Prime Tyson is the most overpowered fighter ever, and it's just sad the way it panned out. But as Larry Holmes predicted earlier, "at some point Mike will just destroy himself", he was too young to be at that level.
              Douglas used reach and an incredible jab that night. Sure it is a llegit point about the decline of Tyson, but we have to be careful. We cannot take every fight when a great fighter loses and simply explain it away.... Tyson was plenty dangerous that night, and a lot of boxing people felt he would lose to a "jabber."

Oh and Pinklon was one of those very skilled eighties heavyweights... Not one of the best jabs ever...

Comment

- -90s = Mike on dangerous, experimental psychotropic meds as a part time fighter and part time felon.

Kinda dumb question I suppose for noobs not aware of that era.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -90s = Mike on dangerous, experimental psychotropic meds as a part time fighter and part time felon.

Kinda dumb question I suppose for noobs not aware of that era.
                  He was on Zoloft, the same stuff millions of other people take for depression. You probably take it yourself. But just for *****s and giggles, can you tell us what experimental psychotropic drugs Tyson was on besides Zoloft? Provide a link maybe? You know, evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    He was on Zoloft, the same stuff millions of other people take for depression. You probably take it yourself. But just for *****s and giggles, can you tell us what experimental psychotropic drugs Tyson was on besides Zoloft? Provide a link maybe? You know, evidence?
                    The day that Queenie shows any proof? If I was in a bar and a space alien took the stool next to me? I would tell the space man, "what a fantastic experience, that confirms an age old question regarding our place in the cosmos" and its nice to see you also!

The day queenie shows any proof? I will run out and play the lottery...

I will assume Rusty became rational

I will expect a kind, sweet word from Left Hook in one of his churl posts...

I will look for Shoulder Roll to actually read one of my posts before assuming my point of view!
                    Last edited by billeau2; 12-01-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X