No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs Earnie Shavers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldTerry View Post
    Shavers was definitely not a great fighter, not by any means. However his power was no myth. Larry Holmes (as well as other fighters) said that the hardest he had ever been hit was by Ernie Shavers.
    I'm very well aware of that. Everybody is. In fact Shavers is more known for what other fighters said about his punching power, than for actually what he did inside the ring as a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
      True. The plunger man believes that for lewis it's because of his nationalities. I personally believe that it's because he was the first Super-HW to become an ATG.

He broke the barrier so to speak. Men his size were supposed to be too clumsy and uncoordinated to be as great as the smaller HW technicians before him.

People who are passionate about a section of history wether it's in sport or other forms of competition, don't like big change. Especially when it's enforced by a single individual. Lewis was that individual for boxing. He paved the way for the Klitschko's, Joshua, Fury etc.

He hasn't been forgiven for it yet. But one day he will be seen as a pioneer.
      - -Big Jess bigger than Lewie didn't turn pro until his late 20s with not even a handful of AMA fights notched a classic fight and KO over a bigger great than Lewie could ever dream of.

HOF too!

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Jess_Willard

Comment

Originally posted by OldTerry View Post
        Marciano knocked out by Moore? Never happened. Down briefly and buzzed but never in serious trouble. In fact Marciano's strongest asset was his physical fitness which equated to being able to be as strong without losing power in the later rounds of a fight as in the earlier ones. Marciano's opponents always lost the war of attrition.
        the argument was the ref stopping Lewis with just a 6 count knockdown and waving it off...I’m not say Marciano was knocked out I’m saying Lewis was not given a chance to recover by the ref stoping it straight away and as I said a lot of heavies have been knocked down and then allowed to see if they recover before the ref waves it off

Comment

I'm very well aware of that. Everybody is. In fact Shavers is more known for what other fighters said about his punching power, than for actually what he did inside the ring as a fighter.
          No argument from me.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
            it’s your blind ignorance that really should have no part in a boxing forum.
            Ali was dropped 5 times , Holmes 4 times , Louis 4 times and knocked out twice , Marciano knocked down 2 times and yet it’s Lewis who gets the flack never mind they were both huge rights hands by fighters above 230lbs.
            One fight should never have been stopped and the ref was in don kings court and the other was because he didn’t allow for altitude and was to busy filming oceans 11 and never took it seriously.
            Both times he avenged that loss and have never tasted the canvas against anybody else , from Tyson to Tua and from Morrison to Ruddock.
            This has to stop lefty
            If Lewis is looked at more favorably, I hope it's then as a guy who just got caught a couple of times. It happens, especially in the heavyweight division.

Comment

I'm very well aware...Shavers is more known for what other fighters said about his punching power, than for actually what he did inside the ring as a fighter.
              - -Uh, Duh, DumDum, what other fighters say about Shavers is what he did INSIDE THE RING!

Need to rehire U minder who'll put U back on a choke collar.

Comment

Working...
              X