Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 12 year old son 14 days out from his next fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 12 year old son 14 days out from his next fight.

Hi guys,
    My name is Lee.
    I joined the forum today and have a question for you.

I'm an ex army boxer and my son is 12 years old and he is two weeks out for his 5th fight. 3X1.30 minute rounds.
    He is 4 wins no losses and would love to keep that going for as long as possibe.

He trains at his gym twice a week which gives him some technical ability but not too much cardio.
    I train him at home a few days a week but my technical skill is limited so i focus on mainly building his stamina.
    I don't want to push him too hard but i want him to be the fittest he can be because we all know fitness is huge in boxing.
    My son is a pressure fighter so he really needs that stamina in his arms and shoulders.

What do you guys recommend for stamina in his shoulders over the next two weeks?
    How many rounds on the pads per session? times of rounds?
    I normally do 6 rounds, 1.30 minutes and 40 seconds break.

Any other ideas to build good stamina in the arms, two weeks out?

Thanks guys, appreciate any comments.
    Last edited by Usedtobox; 07-25-2020, 01:11 AM.

Swimming - seriously... no impact, and REALLY helps me regulate my breathing. Also, there is no getting around 40 yd wind sprints. I wish your boy luck!

Comment

Originally posted by millcitymauler View Post
      Swimming - seriously... no impact, and REALLY helps me regulate my breathing. Also, there is no getting around 40 yd wind sprints. I wish your boy luck!
      Swimming is great, I hit the pool daily now.

Comment

Originally posted by millcitymauler View Post
        Thanks for that. Swimming is great but its more his arms that get tired from throwing so many punches because he is a pressure fighter.
        His breathing is good at the end of the round it's just muscle fatigue. He gets sloppy towards the end of each round.

Best way to fix that I would imagine is throwing lots of punches on the pads and sparring and bag.
        I just don't want to overdo it this close to a fight.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.
        Last edited by Usedtobox; 07-25-2020, 01:12 AM.

Comment

How about the killer drill? Continuous alternating left and right punches on the heavy for short periods like 45 seconds to a minute with equal amount breaks for recovery. Concentrate on speed and power. I usually get my feet going in step with the punches as well. Also shadow boxing with light weights in each hand. Two weeks should be enough time to build up some more stamina in the shoulders which is probably where he needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
            How about the killer drill? Continuous alternating left and right punches on the heavy for short periods like 45 seconds to a minute with equal amount breaks for recovery. Concentrate on speed and power. I usually get my feet going in step with the punches as well. Also shadow boxing with light weights in each hand. Two weeks should be enough time to build up some more stamina in the shoulders which is probably where he needs it.
            Yes, that's what we have been doing. I think I will continue with that sort of training.
            I will mix it up.
            Cheers mate.

Comment

2 weeks is too short of a time to, see any BIG adaptations.

On the week of his fight, it is not a good idea to be ramping up his training.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                2 weeks is too short of a time to, see any BIG adaptations.

On the week of his fight, it is not a good idea to be ramping up his training.
                I won't be ramping up the training. I did say i didn't want to push him too hard on the intial post.

To be honest, the advice people have been giving me is basically what i have been doing anyway so mabye I know more than i thought.

Thanks.
                Last edited by Usedtobox; 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Usedtobox View Post
                  I won't be ramping up the training. I did say i didn't want to push him too hard on the intial post.

To be honest, the advice people have been giving me is basically what i have been doing anyway so mabye I know more than i thought.

Thanks.
                  I agree, why change his training so close to a fight? Change it up when nothing is on the horizon, let him get used to it and build those muscles strong before throwing him in to fight...…..Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Usedtobox View Post
                    Hi guys,
                    My name is Lee.
                    I joined the forum today and have a question for you.

I'm an ex army boxer and my son is 12 years old and he is two weeks out for his 5th fight. 3X1.30 minute rounds.
                    He is 4 wins no losses and would love to keep that going for as long as possibe.

He trains at his gym twice a week which gives him some technical ability but not too much cardio.
                    I train him at home a few days a week but my technical skill is limited so i focus on mainly building his stamina.
                    I don't want to push him too hard but i want him to be the fittest he can be because we all know fitness is huge in boxing.
                    My son is a pressure fighter so he really needs that stamina.

What do you guys recommend for stamina over the next two weeks?
                    How many rounds on the pads per session? times of rounds?
                    I normally do 6 rounds, 1.30 minutes and 40 seconds break.

Any other ideas to build good stamina two weeks out?

Thanks guys, appreciate any comments.
                    I recommend the coach of a gym handling all of this...

Comment

Working...
                    X