Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Calzaghe: A Good Fight, But I'd Beat Andre Ward!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calzaghe is not surviving a prime elite fighter who can box, adapt and throw a right hand like Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyu View Post
      I agree with everything you said - people keep saying he beat fighters past their prime as you say he beat an undefeated prime fighter in Kessler who was then undefeated he also beat Lacey who then at the time was considered the best pound for pound and has never been the same since the beating he took from Joe and Bernard Hopkins look what he has accomplished since losing to Joe - if he did not do anything since Joe then that would be another story but that is not the case these fans say Calzaghe lost to Hopkins on their card are living in there own fantasy, if that was the case believe me no British fighter will get the nod in the States if the fight was that close it just does'nt happen the fact he got the decision menas he won by a bigger margin that these anti-calzaghe fans are saying.
      what are you talking about?

Comment

Ward is much better than a 43 year old Hopkins, who Calzaghe so heavily struggled against. Ward would get in on him, control him and win a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          Ward is much better than a 43 year old Hopkins, who Calzaghe so heavily struggled against. Ward would get in on him, control him and win a decision.
          ward couldn't deal with the workrate , ward has good timing to cancel joe's speed but you have to remember joe had great timing aswell. ward would close the distance but joe being joe he always found a way to win , what i still find astounding is people still forget that joe could pack a punch aswell(he didn't get britel hands for nothing) either way we all know it would go 12 rounds and i firmly believe that joe would of beaten ward in what would of been a brilliant fight , just a shame there paths never crossed.

Comment

Some people are forgetting just how good Joe was. And he was fiercely competitive as well. My bet would be on a Calzaghe win everyday of the week, Just too busy for Ward.

Comment

What he's saying might be true. But unfortunately the only thing that is definitely true is that in his prime Calzaghe would've avoided Ward like the plague... He tried to pull out the Lacy fight about 7 times! I rate Calzaghe but he definitely let himself down with his choice of opponents and not leaving the UK into his 30's...

Comment

Originally posted by CAPT AMSTERDAM View Post
                ward couldn't deal with the workrate , ward has good timing to cancel joe's speed but you have to remember joe had great timing aswell. ward would close the distance but joe being joe he always found a way to win , what i still find astounding is people still forget that joe could pack a punch aswell(he didn't get britel hands for nothing) either way we all know it would go 12 rounds and i firmly believe that joe would of beaten ward in what would of been a brilliant fight , just a shame there paths never crossed.
                Whatever Joe, Thank God your gone, and nice to see The Ring mag agreed in it’s unofficial end of year awards that you retired! To the poster: according to your brittle hands theory maybe Joe should have car pooled to the hospital with Paulie Malignaggi and Floyd Mayweather! In power punchers with brittle hands exclusive cab

Comment

I've heard plenty of brits say that because of his toughness and the competition he fights, that theyd have to give the nod to froch over calzaghe, in other words calzaghe aint that good!

Comment

Up in the airfight. I dont know who would take it. No idea. The hopkins fight though is an indicater that Ward would trouble Calzaghe. But would wWard be able to neutralize 1000 punches thrown and it's a lot harder to do the jump in clinch on Zaghe. Very closefight i think.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                      Some people are forgetting just how good Joe was. And he was fiercely competitive as well. My bet would be on a Calzaghe win everyday of the week, Just too busy for Ward.
                      No, some people are overrating just how good Calzaghe was. It happens with every fighter that retires, people start inflating their skills to crazy levels. Ward is a **** load more skilled and more sound than Calzaghe. Other than the Kessler fight when Calzaghe started fighting B level fighters he wasn't the most sound and smart fighter out there. In fact, Calzaghes foot work was average at best. The only thing that Calzaghe would have is size but he wasn't a fighter that truly imposed his size on fighters. Ward would easily negate Calzaghe's "work rate"(if you call winging punches) with ring smarts, dirty boxing(like hopkins), and precise punches and probably cruise to a rather dominant victory.

Comment

Working...
                      X