No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Paddy Barnes: My Body Failed Me - No Point in Going On

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Paddy Barnes: My Body Failed Me - No Point in Going On

Paddy Barnes has hinted that he could retire in the wake of his latest defeat. The three-time Irish Olympian was in action on Friday at the Ulster Hall in Belfast.
    [Click Here To Read More]

what made him think he was world class good amateur does not mean your world class, tried to rush to be great

Comment

Will he just came out and said that he can't take body punches . Sounds like a retirement speech to me.

Comment

Feel bad for him, but its best he not continue. He just told all of his potential opponents that he can't take it to the body.

Comment

No shame in admitting he just can't handle the pro game. Left it a bit late didn't he, might have been able to build had he turned over at 27. Still has nothing to be ashamed of: 2x Olympic medallist, fought for a world title, and no doubt inspired a ton of kids in Ireland. Paddy's done enough for the sport of boxing.

Comment

He didn’t turn pro until he was 29 years old, which is way too late for his size. Those guys in the smaller weight classes peak in their early to mid twenties.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
              He didn’t turn pro until he was 29 years old, which is way too late for his size. Those guys in the smaller weight classes peak in their early to mid twenties.
              Yep, most are already shot by about 30 at that weight.

He doesn’t seem that suited to the pro game anyway, regardless of age. As we’ve seen, just because you won a few amateur medals, it doesn’t automatically you can cut it in the pro’s. Better amateurs than Barnes have had unsuccessful pro careers.

Barnes should retire, unless he’s happy having a career as a decent journeyman. I’m sure he can still make a living but it’s obvious he’s found his level.

Comment

Ams to Pros is a big jump. It's a big difference that a lot of posters don't seem to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                  Yep, most are already shot by about 30 at that weight.

He doesn’t seem that suited to the pro game anyway, regardless of age. We we’ve seen, just because you won a few amateur medals, it doesn’t automatically you can cut it in the pro’s. Better amateurs than Barnes have had unsuccessful pro careers.
                  The Am's is just meant for guys. Imagine if David Price never went pro, and was just Super Heavyweight David Price who only ever had to go 4 rounds, wear headgear and flick a jab. He'd win gold every 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                    The Am's is just meant for guys. Imagine if David Price never went pro, and was just Super Heavyweight David Price who only ever had to go 4 rounds, wear headgear and flick a jab. He'd win gold every 4 years.
                    I wonder how many olympic medalists actually go on to have successful pro careers such as becoming a world class contender or champ.

I bet it’s not as many as some would think. I know some don’t even become pro but even so.

Comment

Working...
                    X