Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julio cesar chavez jr is a horrible match up for canelo...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many premeditated excuses .

Comment

I love both of my sons very much too Julio but don't play yourself.

Comment

Chavez who lost to Vera is the same Chavez who's gonna beat Canelo?

Comment

no

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          This has all the hallmarks of a cherry pick gone wrong.

Now i dont think chavez is an 'A' class world level fighter, however i believe he is a 'B' level fighter at his weight. A good solid fighter. There are huge question marks against canelo because of his ability to rehydrate, i may be wrong in terms of exact weights but to me its looked like hes been the bigger man every fight ive seen of his. I know hes rated highly on here but i have serious doubts about what level of skill canelo actually has, and how hes going to cope when his size advantage turns into a disadvantage against the larger man.

Fonfara stopped chavez in his tracks because he was a LHW with good pop, canelo hasnt really shown much pop at JMW, the guys hes looked powerful against have been packing glass (amir khan and james kirkland). I think these recent knockouts have given de la hoya and canelo false confidence in there punching power.

People say that stylistically canelos krytonite is pure boxers (lara, mayweather, trout) however i'd argue as he goes up the weights and loses his size advantage, its pressure fighters that are going to be his downfall as canelo is very hittable, his feet are unbelievably slow as if he is wearing lead boots in swampmud. I also dont believe he is carrying much power to stop pressure fighters coming forward.

Martinez had the ability to dance round chavez and negate his size advantage, canelo doesnt. Size isnt always a factor but because of how the styles match up, it will be a factor here. I can see chavez jr plodding forward, unfazed by canelos shots, and gradually having more and more success as the fight goes on. We cant forget that he was very very close to taking martinez out in that fight aswell, a martinez who at the time was dominant at 160.

Whether he wins or not, im not sure (and mainly cause i dont trust the judges) but i think canelo is going to get more than he bargained for if chavez takes the camp seriously.

Does anyone else smell an upset here?
          Chavez is going to be clearly the bigger guy, but he doesn't fight in a way that maximizes his skills, instead trying desperately to still fight like his father. You add that Chavez Jr's punch isn't all that heavy (11 stoppages in his last 25 fights; largely excluding the obvious can fight), and talk of size being key makes no sense.

Alvarez, though the smaller man, will still likely walk into the ring for the fight 170lb+/- 3 lbs. You add that Alvarez's punch seems solid enough (thou against smaller guys, Alvarez had stopped 11 of his last 19 opponents; marking Lanardo Tyner as the point where he was starting to fight serious fighters), and that Alvarez seems happy to have the fighter come to him so he can catch/shoot his own shots (not saying that he's James Toney-esque, but arguing that pressure fighters are a problem isn't too serious, imo), and you've got an exciting fight.

The one point that I'll give Chavez Jr is that he's coming into the fight with his size advantage and the reality that he seems to have inherited his father's iron jaw.

Alvarez is going to be facing a guy with a good 10-15lb size advantage who can take a shot, and there have been some hints that Alvarez doesn't really close out fights super strong (10/11/12); if he's been beating on Chavez Jr for 9-10 rounds, Chavez Jr doesn't seem to be going away and is laying in some shots of his own, and he starts to feel like he may not have the gas to close out strong, how is he going to reacting if Chavez Jr shows up fit, prepared to fight a hard 12 rounds?

Alvarez can take a good shot in his own right, and that's a positive, but fighting through exhaustion could be interesting to watch.

If Chavez Jr is unfit, Alvarez puts a beating on him and he likely bows out before the 10th round; if Chavez Jr shows up fit, we may have the fight of the year on our hands (both guys have sturdy enough chins, with enough power issue against each other, to almost rule out a one-punch ending, so i foresee a long battle of attrition with ebbs and flows, especially if they can stage the fight at AT&T Stadium in front of 70k fans).

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
            weight is the factor.

This is like taking a guy out of a concentration camp to fight a guy who is in shape.

I am rooting for Chavez anyway.
            Chavez Jr has nearly 4 months to get ready for the fight, after just having fought his last fight at 168; it won't be a walk in the park, but that should be plenty of time for Chavez Jr to go through a proper dieting and training camp to be ready for the fight.

Clean out the diet entirely, put the body through a hard fitness camp as we speak, and then spend that final 2 months in hard training for the fight. Will require discipline, but not un-doable.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
              Chavez who lost to Vera is the same Chavez who's gonna beat Canelo?
              ^^^and that's the rub.

Chavez Jr has never been a disciplined enough fighter to max out on his abilties; hate on Alvarez if you want, but he's dedicated to the sport, seems to always be looking for ways to get better, and he and his camp seem to have been looking into different ways to maximize the skills that he brings to the ring.

Robert Garcia is arguably the trainer to help Chavez Jr do that (you look at the work that he's done with Mikey, Maidana, Gvozdyk, and the host of other fighters that are coming through his gym, though all stylistically different, he does seem to teach every one of them the good heavy jab, head movement, and to look to land to the body, among other tools, tactics that Chavez Jr should've been utilizing for years yet he hasn't), but it's on Chavez Jr to want that.

The spectre of fighting in from of 70k Mexican/Mexican-Americans in AT&T Stadium may end up being the type of spectacle that would scare Chavez Jr into dedicating his whole self into preparations for this fight.

If not, he's likely going to get embarrassed.

Comment

It's not a cherry pick it's a great fight between two Mexican warriors in front of a crowd of 50000. I'm looking forward to it as much as I'm looking forward to the Golovkin Jacobs match.

Comment

The differences in talent and skills is here to the moon!
                  Junior is a horrible boxer who only has a wild punch that should never land. Canelo should land often and tear Junior down fairly quickly.
                  The only intrigue in this fight (or lack off) will be who is the stalker and who will counter. We know Canelo prefers to counter but letting Junior move forward may not be the best strategy.

I think Canelo looks to get Junior to step up but counters to the body and up the middle.
                  I can't see Junior doing anything in this fight and if Canelo doesn't stop him after the mid point I'll be disappointed in his growth.

If Junior can learn to throw a decent jab and follow up with two hands maybe he could make it interesting. If he folds up on defense he is going to get hammered.

Ray

Comment

I agree Canelo should easily beat him because is a much better fighter. Canelo has no super weight gaining powers. That's just a BS myth. He can't gain weight after the weigh in any better or worse than any other boxer. That's just an excuse that losers like Khan come up with after Canelo knocked him out. I think Chavez holds the record for gaining weight after the weigh in. He made 160 for Martinez and weighed 180 on fight night. There is no credible record of Canelo ever gaining more than 17 pounds which is quit a lot.

Comment

Chavez Junior needs to learn how to throw straight punches, how hard can it be? sometimes when i watch boxing, i am amazed at some of the athletes who seem not to have the fundamental's down within their game. If you was a basketball player, you learn how to chest pass, over head pass, bounce pass, free throw etc You know the really simple things life!

And with Chavez Junior being the bigger guy, it will help him massively if he improved his straight punching ability. Also as i have already pointed out? his hand speed is nothing impressive, so he needs to improve his offensive arsenal.

If i was training Chavez Junior my game plan, would be to hook to the body (All night long!) and use straight punches up stairs. Chavez Junior is going to have a very difficulty time landing slow hooks to Alvarez head! So if he is to win this fight, he has to just go to the body! sustain a body attack, like we have never seen before! and break Alvarez's spirit...

Comment

Working...
                      X