Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Talk Strategy Part 3: Frampton vs. Santa Cruz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santa Cruz is the one with options he can box a bit from the outside or do as he has done in the past and puts the pressure on. Frampton has to be able to get to his range and counter punch. He also needs to show much more urgency than he did with Quigg because he needs the early going to go his way because Santa Cruz is likely to come on harder down the stretch. Quigg didn't really do much and Frampton fell off in that fight, I can't imagine Santa Cruz possibly doing less than Quigg.

I think Frampton will box well and catch Santa Cruz a few good times, and if he can hurt him in those situations he can easily win the fight. Overall all though I think Santa Cruz is just a bit too much in too many areas size, range, stamina, workrate for a fight that is likely going 12.

Comment

I think LSC is just going to outwork Frampton.

Hopefully Frampton's move to 126 will help with his stamina because against Quigg it was awful, he said he had problems making 122 for about 2 fights now.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        Nobody is talking about this fight which is coming up this Saturday.

What stands out to me in this fight is the size differential. Santa Cruz will have a 2 inch height and 7 inch reach advantage over Frampton. Frampton is moving straight up to 126 with no interim fights in between so he's really an unproven featherweight.

Santa Cruz' size and length gave Mares fits. And although LSC is known to be a high volume fighter with an insane output, against Mares he showed he has the ability to box, utilize his jab, control distance and make his reach advantage count.

The difference here is Frampton is more of a mid-range fighter and a way better counter puncher than Mares. And he's got a pretty nice mid-range game (catch and shoot, slip counter, strong jab, good head movement, etc.). The key for him in this fight will be to utilize a little more lateral movement, keep that jab in his face, get him to over extend himself and time him. If he does those things at a minimum we won't see the typical 1,000 plus punches thrown by Santa Cruz and Frampton should have a field day.

Thoughts on this fight?
        Frampton showed it all tonight. Surprised he didn't use his jab more. But he was on point with the left hook and straight right hand. Excellent performance.

Comment

I'm impressed by the fact that Frampton won decisively even-though LSC threw 1000 punches.

Comment

Santa Cruz didn't make it hard for Frampton to find his range at all really. Frampton was right about 122 being a detriment to his stamina because he was able to go 12 hard which I wouldn't have believed possible after the Quigg affair.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              I'm impressed by the fact that Frampton won decisively even-though LSC threw 1000 punches.
              I can't speak for everybody but there is nothing better than watching a well rounded boxer pick apart a high volume pressure fighter like we saw tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                I can't speak for everybody but there is nothing better than watching a well rounded boxer pick apart a high volume pressure fighter like we saw tonight.
                Frampton ate his fair share of punches when he'd back straight up; that was the reach advantage coming into play. However, he never got hurt by anything and his stamina carried him through. He was able to hold his own on the inside enough to deter LSC. The biggest benefit: he did it all with almost no clinching.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                  Santa Cruz didn't make it hard for Frampton to find his range at all really. Frampton was right about 122 being a detriment to his stamina because he was able to go 12 hard which I wouldn't have believed possible after the Quigg affair.
                  I thought he was wearing down because o gave LSC the 10th and the 11th. He sealed the deal in the final round though.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    Frampton ate his fair share of punches when he'd back straight up; that was the reach advantage coming into play. However, he never got hurt by anything and his stamina carried him through. He was able to hold his own on the inside enough to deter LSC. The biggest benefit: he did it all with almost no clinching.
                    Santa Cruz most effective shots were when Frampton was backing straight up. He was landing at close range but it was wider, ineffective shots whereas Frampton was landing short more crisp punches.

I gave Frampton the first 5 rounds because his work was just cleaner.

Comment

It think it was a good decision to go up to 126. It was common knowledge that 122 was too difficult for Frampton to make anymore.

You wouldn't really think so, he looks small but he actually walks around much heavier than people would expect. I guess he's just a guy that looks like he has a tiny frame but a lot heavier and stronger than expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X