Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which current fighters would you consider elite?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIG GUNZ View Post
    The ones I can think of:

Lomachenko
    Crawford
    Usyk
    Mikey Garcia
    Canelo
    GGG
    Thurman (when he was actively fighting)
    Spence

Wilder & Joshua are the best Heavyweights currently but are they really elite level talents? They likely would be mid level fighters if they fought in the 80s & 90s for instance. Not sure if they fit in or not. I guess in the current era they are but not in general of the history of the Heavyweight division.
    Not a bad list. I would say AJ is because he has faced most his opponents but he is obviously actually early in his career so still has time yet. Can’t argue wilder is at the moment because he just hasn’t got the resume so let’s judge him (and re judge AJ) in 24 months time

Comment

Basically what I’m asking is which fighters are considered special. Where they’re just so more skilled than the others. For instance I view Crawford, Spence & Thurman as special fighters but not Porter or Garcia. They both already lost twice & likely would lose when they fight any of the other 3 I mentioned.
      Spence, Crawford, Lomenchenko, Davis, Usyk , Joshua, Fury all come to mind. That oriental fighter Inoue I heard was good also ?

Comment

Don't know who any of those guys are except Keith 'One Time' Thurman

Comment

The ones I can think of:

Lomachenko
          Crawford
          Usyk
          Mikey Garcia
          Canelo
          GGG
          Thurman (when he was actively fighting)
          Spence

Wilder & Joshua are the best Heavyweights currently but are they really elite level talents? They likely would be mid level fighters if they fought in the 80s & 90s for instance. Not sure if they fit in or not. I guess in the current era they are but not in general of the history of the Heavyweight division.
          Compared to the Floyd or Rjj era, they would truly be mid level guys but if we have to pick, I would remove Thurman from that list and like the other poster, replace with Inoue. Never really thought he was anything special, just a few levels above DGarcia. Nothing more.

Elite level guys should be guys that really show they are levels above the rest and the guys you listed are it.

Davis still has a few more wins to prove he is elite even in this era. If Fury wins Wilder, he is definetly on the list. Big if considering the past few years..

For the past era, I would easily pick Loma, Mikey and Crawford.
          Last edited by mvooom; 10-14-2018, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thurman, Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
              You have to elite to be champion or top ten guy really.
              This.

To me the top 1% in any division are world class or elite boxers. Which in most divisions means the top 10-20 guys should be considered elite or world class. In some of the lower less competitive divisions that could be less than 10 guys. But overall there are 20,000 boxers at any given time that are active. So that means there are ~200 elite level boxers among 17 divisions which basically works out to the top 10 being elite or world class in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                Don't know who any of those guys are except Keith 'One Time' Thurman
                I remember back in the day when Thurman used to box.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  I remember back in the day when Thurman used to box.
                  This is the get back year baby. Later than planned, but have you seen his missus? Can't even be mad at him for taking a few extra months off.

Comment

Crawford
                    Loma
                    Usyk
                    M. Garcia
                    maybe Spence

Some of the smaller guys might be but I honestly don't watch much of the super light stuff.

I don't consider Canelo, GG, AJ, Wilder, or Thurman to be elite.

Comment

rigo, loma, canelo, m garcia, crawford, thurman, spence, fury... they all have good skill sets and the potential to be elite

Comment

Working...
                      X