Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would've been a tougher fight for Mayweather: Antonio Margarito or Paul Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would've been a tougher fight for Mayweather: Antonio Margarito or Paul Williams

Let's say at Welterweight
    Antonio Margarito
    34.78%
    Paul Williams
    58.70%
    None; easy work for TBE
    6.52%

The poll is expired.

Both would have presented very similar problems with their long arms, great stamina, work rates, and pressure styles. Not sure who would've posed the bigger threat though, tbh. I'm just disappointed that we never got to see those fights.

Comment

Paul Williams... huge reach advantage and threw a high volume of punches.

Comment

I'd pick them both to stop Floyd, but Paul would've got it done easier. He had higher activity and covered more ground. Mind you Haymon never would've allowed it. Gabe Montoya once asked Al Haymon about Vernon Forrest vs Paul Williams. Haymon replied that'd be a great fight. Montoya asked if he'd ever make it. Haymon said - nope.

Comment

Neither.

If Floyd had fought one of them and beat him, people would say that Floyd picked the easier guy and ducked the other guy.

Seen this **** before.

Comment

Both would have give him fits. He could not hurt either of them, they both had a fantastic work rate and could fight the full 12 rounds at any given pace. Both would be a nightmare for him.

Regardless of the outcome Floyd would look pathetic like he did in the Baldomir fight. I've never seen a fight like it. If you never saw the fight and looked at the stats the first thing to spring to mind is that Baldomir would have been a bloody mess and the ref should have stepped in.

Comment

Neither would have got the job done, but Paul Williams would have given him the toughest test. Long arms, tall, good puncher, stamina, and great chin. Thing is he always fought small and hunched down. He also wasnt the quickest and he ate straight shots all the time. Also he never fought a fighter that had the caliber of anyone close to floyd. Also Quitana exposed every single flaw. This is coming from a huge Paul Williams fan. I was raised up the road from him in Augusta. As for Margarito, you have to question the whole handwrap thing. I'd say it would look like Floyd/Castillo II without the handwraps.

Comment

Margarito would have been easy easy work for Mayweather. Too slow and plodding and his reach wasn't longer. We saw that fight already when Mayweather fought Baldamir.

Williams would have presented some problems though, that freakish teach and work rate would have made Floyd have to adapt. Closer fight, but Floyd finds a way because Williams was so easy to hit.

Comment

I would favour a prime Mayweather over both. I'd probably say Margarito might have given him a tougher fight.

For all his physical advantages, Williams gave most of them away. All you had to really do was potshot and move with him. And Mayweather obviously excels at that.

Margarito was a better pressure fighter than Williams and a better body puncher. I think he would've been able to rough up Floyd more and slow him down.

Comment

Paul never allowed for his natural abilities to work for him the way he should've. He never fought tall. It was interesting to watch. It wasn't as if he had demonstrative power and was really fast. I don't get why people think he would've smoked Floyd other than just downright hatred for FM Jr.

Margarito would've probably lost the same Baldomir did

Comment

Working...
                    X