Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brandon Rios vs Mike Alvarado II & Undercards RbR and Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flashbacks from the first fight will haunt Mike when Rios takes his shots and keeps coming right ahead again.

i'd be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be an epic, but i expect the rematch will be an anti-climax. at best, a retread of the first.

Comment

another HBO Promo

Comment

I think the general consensus is that Alvarado will effectively try to box on the outside more so than he did in the first fight, but will still find himself getting dragged into exchanges on the inside. He'll gradually lose confidence in his boxing abilities and get himself into another war, where Rios will prevail.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
          I think the general consensus is that Alvarado will effectively try to box on the outside more so than he did in the first fight
          i see that working out for him like Salido-JuanMa II, in that Alvarado would try to be the boxer but would be forced to fight just to keep the guy off, because he isn't accomplished/slick enough in that role to control the distance and nullify Rios inside when he does get in.

difference being, it'd play out quicker, i don't see him lasting as long in the battle as JuanMa did.
          Last edited by PEBBLES!; 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM.

Comment

something that intrigued me about the first fight, but that i've not seen anyone else comment on, just thought i'd throw it out here:

in the later rounds of Alvarado-Prescott, Mike did a great job of changing pace, switching between passivity and aggression, lulling Prescott -- weary and only too happy to take a breather -- into laziness through a false sense of security. it was in this way, i believe, that Alvarado knowingly set Prescott up for the kill.

interesting that it was during a similar lull in the pace through the 7th of the Rios-Alvarado fight (both guys having dropped their workrates significantly) that Rios suddenly came on and unleashed the barrage that brought about the end - not that i think Rios strategically contrived to lure Alvarado into switching off, but that there came a moment in the lull where he instinctively sensed that he could surprise Alvarado and pulled that great effort out of himself.

just struck me as funny how Mike fell foul of a similar complacency to that which he'd provoked to his advantage against a previous opponent. Alvarado is actually a reasonably cunning fighter, which makes it mildly surprising that he switched off there.
            Last edited by PEBBLES!; 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I didn't like the stoppage in the first fight. As tough as Alvarado is he should've been given a second chance. He also has great conditioning. As much as I'd like him to win the rematch I'll be hesistant to pick him to come out on top this time around.

He might choose to box again but I hope its no Philly shell mimic bs. In the end, he will be drawn into a war again.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

This is a pointless fight. Rios already beat this dude down and he should be looking to make bigger moves. This Avarado fight is a lateral move at best. I know the first fight was entertaining but Rios has nothing to prove. Rios is not a slick boxer and can only take but so many shots to the face. He shouldnt be waisting them on Avarado. If you listen to him talk hes already starting to sound punch drunk. Bradley, Marquez, and Pacquiao are the guys Rios should be looking to get in the ring with.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
                  This thread is for the discussion of 2012's runner up for Fight of the Year: Bradon Rios vs Mike Alvarado...the rematch. Please post any new videos, highlights, interviews, or info for this card. This thread will be bumped daily hopefully with the latest details until the fight which is 5 days from now. On the night of the fight this can be used for RBR analysis and discussion.

ps: if you're on my ignore list and want to post here hit me up with a pm and i'll remove you.

When: March 30, 2013. 10:15PM ET

Where: HBO Boxing After Dark
                  To me, this was 2012's Fight of the Year hands down. Every minute of it was exciting. I was at my cousin's house who don't usually watch boxing and I told him this should've been the main event. By the first round of the Nishioka/Donaire fight they agreed.

I'm definitely pumped as h3ll for this fight. I picked Mike the last time around because I thought he was gonna fight smart, but from the interviews I've seen of him, I don't think he has a solid gameplay. He's been quoted as saying he'll be drawn back to a war which I don't think is smart for him. Rios is obviously better than him inside. He should stick to doubling up the jab and setting up the right hand and moving around the ring more.
                  Last edited by SnakeVen0m; 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Alvarado by KO

Comment

I'm glad we got lampley for the rematch instead of papa

Comment

Working...
                      X