Before Manny Pacquaio there was Jimmy"the baby faced assassin" McClarnin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before Manny Pacquaio there was Jimmy"the baby faced assassin" McClarnin

55-11-3(21 kos)

McClarnin started out as a flyweight under the tutelage of his future father in law....in all he defeated 13 world champions from flyweight to welterweight and his only world championship was at 147

He was often criticized in his day for fighting champions and former champions at catchweights.....he started at a very young age as a pro and found his stride and defeated Benny Leonard, Pancho Villa, Lou Ambers, Tony Canzoneri, Louis "Kid" Kaplan, "Young" Jack Thompson, Sammy Fuller, Young Corbett III, Jackie Fields, Al Singer, Ray Miller, Sid Terris, Joey Sangor, Ruby Goldstein, Joe Glick, "Sergeant" Baker and Young Nationalista

Great post

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      Great post
      thanks bro....its crazy most of the true all time greats have film of them on youtube and the only fighters they know of have been fighting in the past 5 years

SAD

Comment

Awesome thread man, thanks for dropping some history for these young bozos who have no respect for the game.

Comment

Here's his record:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9024&cat=boxer

Easily the greatest boxer to ever call Vancouver his home.

Comment

was he as good as laila ali?

Comment

Manny ko's that dude in six...

In all honesty, one of the truly great resumes in boxing history

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Manny ko's that dude in six...

In all honesty, one of the truly great resumes in boxing history
                how'd you think a fight with them would play out??

One thing I know is it would be a barn-burner

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  how'd you think a fight with them would play out??

One thing I know is it would be a barn-burner
                  Yeah def a barn burner and action packed... I think manny's speed would be the difference.. That speed would be too much and I think manny stops him in a wild firefight.. Mcclarin didn't have the movement or counter punching needed to beat manny... And I think he keeps his hands low sometimes....

Jimmy IMO is a better, more sophisticated version of guys like Hatton or gatti, but I don't think he can topple manny..

But mcclarin does have one of those ridiculous resumes where he fought everyone on the block for years..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Yeah def a barn burner and action packed... I think manny's speed would be the difference.. That speed would be too much and I think manny stops him in a wild firefight.. Mcclarin didn't have the movement or counter punching needed to beat manny... And I think he keeps his hands low sometimes....

Jimmy IMO is a better, more sophisticated version of guys like Hatton or gatti, but I don't think he can topple manny..

But mcclarin does have one of those ridiculous resumes where he fought everyone on the block for years..
                    back in his era they did have low guards but they were better than fighters today at pivoting, rolling shots, using angles and their shoulders

check out some of his videos on youtube....he was aggressive but like Manny they are underrated counterpunchers

IDK if Manny stops him....he only got stopped once and he fought some great great fighters without being ko'ed.

He had a good jab and left hook and he had a very good counter right

I wont pick a winner until I watch a lil more of him....its been a while, Ive been watching more contemporary guys lately but McClarnin was a beast

Comment

Working...
                    X