30 years ago: Tyson stopped Spinks 91 seconds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 years ago: Tyson stopped Spinks 91 seconds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6OVt_tPsv6Y

It was a demolition that seemingly came out of left field.

I feel bad for the poor schmucks that paid the big bucks to buy this event. Ended before it even began.

Comment

--- Talked to a guy sent as a media reporter complaining about this fight.

He had gone to relieve hisself to be distraction free for the main event. Had to stand in line squirming with the rest of the suckers, so when he was finally released from Nature's call and walking back to his table, Tyson flattened poor Spinks for the count.

Sorta had to rely on the other media to fill in that 90 second gap...only in boxing!!!

Comment

The kid could fight...

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          --- Talked to a guy sent as a media reporter complaining about this fight.

He had gone to relieve hisself to be distraction free for the main event. Had to stand in line squirming with the rest of the suckers, so when he was finally released from Nature's call and walking back to his table, Tyson flattened poor Spinks for the count.

Sorta had to rely on the other media to fill in that 90 second gap...only in boxing!!!
          I worked with a guy and him and his now deceased wife went to the fight for their vacation. He wanted to go to the concession stand to get a beer, but she advised him to wait until the first round was over. The second round never came. Good thing he listened to her.

Comment

I never feel gipped if a fight ends quickly. It means there is plenty of action and a knockout. And even if a main event is short, odds are you probably got your money's worth in one of the undercard fights. PPV even airs about 2-3 of them before the main event.

Comment

Google Spinks and you will come up with the demolition by Tyson. It's a shame because Micheal was an ATG fighter and one of the top LH fighters in history. Historically as a LH I really don't know who could beat him. Nice guy, fierce warrior with KO power in both hands.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                Google Spinks and you will come up with the demolition by Tyson. It's a shame because Micheal was an ATG fighter and one of the top LH fighters in history. Historically as a LH I really don't know who could beat him. Nice guy, fierce warrior with KO power in both hands.
                Yeah, he could be realistically matched against great light heavies like Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Bob Foster, Harold Johnson etc and have a realistic chance at victory

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
                  Yeah, he could be realistically matched against great light heavies like Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Bob Foster, Harold Johnson etc and have a realistic chance at victory
                  Definitely. I find it odd when people discuss the great fighters of that era he gets little mention. I know he doesn't chase the spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    I know he doesn't chase the spotlight.
                    That's exactly why he's stepped over.

Comment

Working...
                    X