Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe's key to ATG status - Surpass Rocky's 49-0 record!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    If I were Joe, I'd aim for 50-0 myself. For the following reason.

He would best Marciano, something that's never been done. And would take him to the "ATG" list with not a single critic to be heard.

And I'm not really even a fan of his. I just love watching history happen in the ring, and Joe is the only man who's ever been as close as he is to Rocky's record.
    Larry Holmes
    Dariusz Michalczewski
    Nikolai Valuev
    Ricardo Lopez (47-0 when he drew with Alvarez)
    Brian Nielsen ()

Comment

Originally posted by KingArthur View Post
      oh if he can pull that off, WOW. I'd DEFINETLY look at him as an ATG. Having said that NO WAY IN HELL he beats four of those fighters you listed

He would beat them all, he has already beaten Hopkins. He is THE BEST..... By a mile.

Comment

i agree, he would definately make a huge statement with a 50-0 record,finito lopez was so close! damn that head butt,i never seen the fight but i heard he was in a tough fight

Comment

Holmes didn't get it, he was 48-0 before getting robbed against Spinks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
            Larry Holmes
            Dariusz Michalczewski
            Nikolai Valuev
            Ricardo Lopez (47-0 when he drew with Alvarez)
            Brian Nielsen ()
            Valuev? C'mon man. He sucks. Technically yes, he was close but he's beating nobodies.

Lopez I saw finish out his career back in what? 2000 was it? But I hadn't seen the fight live.

Holmes lost his fight with Spinks before I was even born.

Comment

to keep 49-0 in perspective, JCC was 93 fights in before he suffered a lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                He was actually 48-0

EDIT: I see you already fixed it.

I meant that there were fighters who came close to doing it, 49 straight wins (no draws, no NC) without ever losing.

Thus far only Rocky has managed to do that.
                Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puas View Post
                  At 46-0 and a young 36 years old, Joe Calzaghe should fight on and attempt to surpass Rocky's legendary undefeated record before hanging them up for good.

Possible opponents for Joe in his final year or two as a fighter:

Bernard Hopkins
                  Chad Dawson
                  Glen Johnson
                  Arthur Abraham
                  Jermain Taylor
                  Kelly Pavlik
                  Lucian Bute

If he can run through 4 of the above mentioned names and retire with an unblemished 50-0 record, he'll have clearly cemented his status as an ATG in the eyes of many, in the UK as well as in the US. I think he can do it and he should.

Discuss.
                  if calzaghe can reach or surpass rocky's record against good-great competition, no one would be able to doubt his ATGness in the top 10. He may even be in consideration for GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                    Agree, it was a blatant robbery.

The only consolation is that in the many years past, everybody knows the truth, and Larry has gotten the respect that eluded him his entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                      He was actually 48-0

I meant that there were fighters who came close to doing it, 49 straight wins without ever losing.

Thus far only Rocky has managed to do that.
                      My point was that I wanted to see it happen. With Lopez, I saw it after the fact on a replay because I didn't see it live, and with Holmes I wasn't even born yet.

I know many have come close, but I never saw any of them unfold live.

And I love watching history unfold before my very eyes in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X