Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true that Zab Judah back in the early 2000's was better than Terence Crawford

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zab had crazy hand speed, power in both hands and was very athletic. But he had an iffy chin, lacked mental toughness and ring IQ.

Comment

Absolutely not. Judah's one of those fighters who seduced fans with his natural ability so that they made a thousand excuses for his limitations. Crawford has been consistently dominant against the level of opposition Judah lost to or struggled with.

Comment

50/50 fight imo. If Gamboa can stun Crawford at 135lbs blown up what happens when Zab catches him where he had peak power? I've seen more potential in Judah at 140-147lbs than Crawford so far. Tszu would chin Crawford imo too. Judah always lost in big fights though. He faded down the stretch and was mentally weak. That chicken dance from Tszu was epic. Judah came back strong after that though to become lineal welterweight champ. I give him props for that. He gave a good fight to Cotto and Floyd. I would pick Floyd and Cotto to beat Crawford at 140. Crawford doesn't have the best resume. All flash until he proves otherwise when comparing him to other fighters that fought better guys for me. He's not a bad fighter but I have a problem hyping the guy over other guys who at least fought better guys at a higher weight too.

Comment

NO WAY - TC is a much more complete top level boxer. Not as flashy or explosive, which others have already mentioned, but he has a plethora of attributes over Zab. Stamina, chin, distance control, versatility, concentration, generally a far sturdier and better mental game.

Even during his best years Zab was seen as an outskirts top 10 p4p, just squeezing in top the top 10 kind of territory.

Most people have TC currently in the top 5, and knocking on the door for a higher spot.

Comment

Judah back then is basically what Amir Khan is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
              50/50 fight imo. If Gamboa can stun Crawford at 135lbs blown up what happens when Zab catches him where he had peak power? I've seen more potential in Judah at 140-147lbs than Crawford so far. Tszu would chin Crawford imo too. Judah always lost in big fights though. He faded down the stretch and was mentally weak. That chicken dance from Tszu was epic. Judah came back strong after that though to become lineal welterweight champ. I give him props for that. He gave a good fight to Cotto and Floyd. I would pick Floyd and Cotto to beat Crawford at 140. Crawford doesn't have the best resume. All flash until he proves otherwise when comparing him to other fighters that fought better guys for me. He's not a bad fighter but I have a problem hyping the guy over other guys who at least fought better guys at a higher weight too.
              TC would be a tiny welterweight - I expect him to go there eventually because his talent dictates that he can compete there and the bigger fights are there. But I think some of the match up comparisons are a little unfair as some of those guys you mentioned have naturally bigger frames and TC has not grown into a welterweight yet.

Thats not to say that I agree with you about your picks, I don't think there is enough evidence on Crawford at that sort of level to make any sort of educated guess. But you can compare Zab vs Crawford in a lb for lb sense and who is the better fighter over an eyeball test against a similar level of competition.

Comment

Zab had more talent but Crawford is a better fighter. I doubt Crawford would get slept by Kostya. He might even stop him like Phillips stopped him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                  Now that's a tough one. Cotto was a monster but I think Crawford's size and strength seals the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    TC would be a tiny welterweight - I expect him to go there eventually because his talent dictates that he can compete there and the bigger fights are there. But I think some of the match up comparisons are a little unfair as some of those guys you mentioned have naturally bigger frames and TC has not grown into a welterweight yet.

Thats not to say that I agree with you about your picks, I don't think there is enough evidence on Crawford at that sort of level to make any sort of educated guess. But you can compare Zab vs Crawford in a lb for lb sense and who is the better fighter over an eyeball test against a similar level of competition.
                    I wouldn't call Crawford a tiny welterweight. Crawford is 5'8 and I believe weighed 154 on fight night. Pernell was 5'6 and looked thinner and went to fight champ at 154. I believe Pernell weighed 157 on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearns-Jones View Post
                      Zab had more talent but Crawford is a better fighter. I doubt Crawford would get slept by Kostya. He might even stop him like Phillips stopped him.
                      Crawford gets hit too much. You could argue that Phillips had better defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X