Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pirog interview. Talks Golovkin, Canelo, Lomachenko, Crawford.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirog interview. Talks Golovkin, Canelo, Lomachenko, Crawford.

Automatic translation:

Dmitry Pirog: "If Golovkin starts boxing more diverse, he will not be equal"

In an interview with the correspondent of the Republican Internet portal Sports.kz, the ex-WBO world champion in boxing according to the WBO version, Russian Dmitry Pirog shared his opinion about the fight between Kazakhstani Gennady Golovkin and Mexican Saul Alvarez , as well as how their rematch could develop. Printing 3 - WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders reiterated his desire to fight against Gennady Golovkin. Can a Briton create any difficulties for GGG in combat? - It's hard for me to say. On the last fight with Lemie Saunders looked good. Can he give battle to Golovkin? Probably, this is what we all would like to see - equal fights.

Those where Gena manifests itself in full. And when the guys immediately morally break, rejoice for Golovkin, sick, but the box itself is not visible, but there is complete dominance - it's less interesting. In this plan, Golovkin's last fights pleased me more. He showed that it could be better than the strongest representatives of average weight. - WBO featherweight champion Vasily Lomachenko critically spoke about Golovkin's actions in the battle with Alvarez, noting that Gennady used only one combination. Do you agree that Golovkin was a bit blunt? - I agree, but here I would like to focus not on monotony.

I expected that in a duel against Daniel Jacobs, Gene would start to change, adjust to him, change equipment and tactics somewhere. We all know that Golovkin has a lot of experience in amateur boxing, and that he can box differently. After Golovkin did not get to adjust to the American, Jacobs, on the contrary, changed the battle pattern - and it turned out that Dani looked a little better than himself in the second half of the battle, rather than in the first. Here, to some extent, monotony manifests itself. But we must emphasize that this Golovkin is enough to look better both Jacobs and Alvarez. - What to expect from the revenge of Golovkin and Alvarez? - We all hope that Golovkin's duel with Alvarez will take place, because he will bring enough money to Gennady, and he deserved it, and, of course, the boxers will give a good, spectacular fight to the spectators.

If this fight takes place, there will be no "punk lacquers", and the boxers will go all the way, then Alvarez will look a little better. Let's take into account the fact that "Canelo" is a young guy, growing stronger physically and, in addition, gaining boxing skills, that is, developing. Gennady is now propagandizing a pronounced "Mexican style", from which American TV channels and the team are waiting. Successfully exploiting this image. Golovkin has been boxing for a number of years in this style, and this thought has already taken root in his head. And I was wondering: what if there are any fights, where is it necessary to change the drawing? Will Golovkin do that? Unfortunately, duels with Alvarez and Jacobs showed that Gennadiy did not succeed. Here the question arises: Did Gene want to be rebuilt? We are so clever - we analyze, we sound some things, and it, maybe, all arranged? .. I personally judge from my bell tower. It is known that in boxing the most difficult is to change the battle pattern. It seemed to me that in the last two matches, Gene either did not want to do it, or he could not. But the fact remains. I would like to stress once again that in the rematch Alvarez will look better than in the first fight.

Gene is now at the peak of his career, when he is studied for several years, looking for an antidote. In this case, many analysts began to talk about the fact that the rivals began to pick up the keys to Golovkin. I'm sure that Gene is much more difficult as a boxer in terms of thinking, boxing knowledge than many think. He is not just a "shirt", a "Mexican guy". Golovkin is a deep-thinking boxer, and if he starts boxing more diverse, then, of course, he will not be equal. - Several years ago, many wrote that your fight with Golovkin could become one of the most significant events in the world boxing. Are there any regrets that he did not end up as a result? - Let's be frank: in professional boxing the athlete comes not only to enjoy boxing, but also to earn money. At me, for the certain reasons, it has turned out not quite. I had to leave the ring - it did not allow me to continue my health. The trauma happened just when I was at the peak - and I had to make money. This, of course, offensively. But - it's okay. The fight with Golovkin - I, of course, would like to spend it. It's no secret that for the sake of meeting with the GGG, I refused to fight against the official WBO waist - which meant that I gave up the belt for the fight with Gena.

Despite all this, the fight with Golovkin to me was much more interesting, because Gena at times more difficult as a rival - and this would be a test. - Considering Golovkin as an opponent, did you find his weaknesses? - There is not a single person who does not have weaknesses. To any boxer it is possible to pick up keys - in the same way, as well as to me. Another thing - do you get it. As for Genes - let's be frank, the image of the monster that created the HBO television channel ... I initially knew that Golovkin could show more intelligent boxing. Being a "shirt", just going into a fight - it's easier. Hard to beat and kill a man - it's Golovkin turned out better than anyone. But when you choose a style for yourself, you start to neglect something. In this case, Golovkin began to neglect protection. Accordingly, there are more holes.

This helped to get the audience interested, but revealed some gaps in the defense. At the same time, there is a result - hence, the tactics are chosen correctly. - Returning to a possible fight-revenge Golovkin against Alvarez: do you think this will be a "felling" - or rather a tactical game? "Based on the last two fights, I conclude that we will see the same Geno as he was. Maybe, plus or minus, in a better shape, depending on how he approaches the peak of the form. It seems to me that Golovkin will not change tactics. Will we see the wheel house? In many ways, it will depend on Alvarez - will "Canelo" this "felling" or not. Here he did not want to fight - and there was no "felling" as such. A lot of talk about the "Mexican style" ... For example, I know a lot of Mexicans who think that "cutting" is not necessarily a "Mexican style".

Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez have made tremendous results, but they were not "shirts". Another thing is that if you need to show your masculine qualities and fight in a fight, despite the fact that you are well trained in boxing, they are ready for this. This is - yes. These boxers are different - but not only they. We all know that there is a truth in boxing: if you can not outbox an opponent, the best option for even leveling a fight is to go into a fight. Not the fact that you will win - but you will look at least no worse. In this regard, Gena is good. But we know GGG, and he knows how to show intellectual boxing. Probably, if Golovkin had done this, he would have looked more likely with the guys who met him in the last two fights. - What distinguishes Kazakhstani boxers? - In the Soviet years, Kazakhs were like Cubans in the world - they always had a good level of boxing.

The nation that is located to the boxing. Kazakhs allocated good preparation, school, endurance, ability to endure. - Which of the Kazakh people could you mention besides Golovkin? - Vasily Zhirov. I remember it well, especially in amateurs. Very stubborn guy. He won the Val Barker Cup. By the way, he also propagated constant pressure. In the end, we remember what happened in the fight between Zhirov and James Toney. James Toney - a representative of the old American school, where, if it becomes hard for you, you act simply: hit, hugged, pressed, shortened the distance. It was in the Soviet years that we learned that we must defend ourselves: to turn left, right, step back, dive. And in America: it became dangerous - he got closer.

This tactic, incidentally, advocates Ande Ward. With these guys it's hard to box if you're an aggressor. Therefore, if Golovkin falls for this, then he will need to recall the skills of amateur boxing, which can become an antidote against the old American school. - Floyd Mayweather and Andre Ward retired. Who is now the king of world boxing? - From what I saw, I liked Terence Crawford, Vasily Lomachenko, Gennady Golovkin. It is difficult for me to name a clearly expressed king. But those whom I have named, they are now - bright boxers, who can collect a large number of spectators.

Original source in Russian = https://www.sports.kz/news/dmitriy-p...h-emu-ne-budet

That was a good read.

Comment

Great find, a bit difficult with the translation but still a good read.

Comment

I like his honest assessment. He was actually pretty harsh on Golovkin. A lot of people said the same thing on this site and got lambasted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
          I like his honest assessment. He was actually pretty harsh on Golovkin. A lot of people said the same thing on this site and got lambasted for it.
          Harsh how?

Comment

Bump because this is a good article.

Comment

He has a point about Golovkin's style or is it really Able's style. Able said publicly that his philosophy is his fighters don't adjust to the opponent the opponent has to adjust to them. I think that's OK but when you get to the top of the division it's a problem. He did make some changes in the Canelo fight by taking power off his punches and scoring points along the ropes.

Comment

Excellent interview.

I really hate that this guy's career got cut short.

Comment

Bump, for this very interesting read...

Comment

if pirog was still around he'd be having all the "slick" brothers scurred!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X