No announcement yet.

In all seriousness, on current form I make Wilder favorite over AJ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
    The takam performance raised a lot of question marks for me. Takam is decent but not a world beater.

I personally think AJ has gone backwards since the charles martin to brezeale period. And i do think its a lot to do with too many weights and putting on too much weight.

The klitschko fight was great fun and a great night but Joshua scraped through by the skin of his teeth. He did well to survive the 5th round and in retrospect i feel the stoppage came off a last ditch effort from joshua who was down on the cards. He got the stoppage but had wlad been a couple of years younger i doubt he would have.

I expected AJ to leatn from that fight, and come in leaner and look a lot sharper and more energetic vs takam. The opposite happened, but fortunatley it was "only takam" in the opposite corner.

Wilder is mobile, he forces a pace and hes unpredictable. He is a handfull.
    The Takam performance showed us that

1)AJ is too muscle bound/heavy

2)He has not improved defensively since his last 4 fights/i don't rate his new trainer what-so-ever

3)If his power fails him and he cant get someone out of there, he looks vulnerable

4) He is still inexperienced, only had 19 fights, was moved along way too quickly

Wilder looks dangerous because he came in light, very explosive, confidence and athletic - a perfect combination to deal with Aj's style

Comment

It's a straight shootout for me, I've always favoured AJ as I feel he's more compact but Wilder may have the edge in speed, that jab is now a weapon and the straight right is lethal. It's hard too see either guy taking the others best shot so I think it will be whoever gets to the other first, wins.

Comment

Wilder either runs and hides throughout the fight and survives 12 rounds or opens up and gets knocked out cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
          The takam performance raised a lot of question marks for me. Takam is decent but not a world beater.

I personally think AJ has gone backwards since the charles martin to brezeale period. And i do think its a lot to do with too many weights and putting on too much weight.

The klitschko fight was great fun and a great night but Joshua scraped through by the skin of his teeth. He did well to survive the 5th round and in retrospect i feel the stoppage came off a last ditch effort from joshua who was down on the cards. He got the stoppage but had wlad been a couple of years younger i doubt he would have.

I expected AJ to leatn from that fight, and come in leaner and look a lot sharper and more energetic vs takam. The opposite happened, but fortunatley it was "only takam" in the opposite corner.

Wilder is mobile, he forces a pace and hes unpredictable. He is a handfull.
          Some fair points.

As someone pointed out, he got his nose bust early on in fight. That takes a lot out of you. When you've got someone in front of you that's not easy to put away, it's even harder.

Agree that Vlad should've perhaps jumped on him in the 6th, but he didn't. There's lot's of 'ifs and maybe's' in boxing, like 'if' Molina had followed up the left hook he rocked Wilder with.
          By the way, I'm not knocking Wilder. I want to see the fight and wouldn't put my mortgage on the winner.
          Questions have been asked by pundits in the UK with regards to AJ's weight. I agree he looks a little too big. Whether this causes him problems in bigger fights remains to be seen. He was gassed v Klitschko, but recovered well and got a second wind. That's a huge positive.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post

2)He has not improved defensively since his last 4 fights/i don't rate his new trainer what-so-ever

3)If his power fails him and he cant get someone out of there, he looks vulnerable

4) He is still inexperienced, only had 19 fights, was moved along way too quickly

Wilder looks dangerous because he came in light, very explosive, confidence and athletic - a perfect combination to deal with Aj's style
            Showed better stamina than the klit fight with a broken nose.. really dont know what fight you were watching..if joshua loses 6 pounds.. he isnt going to fly like a butterfly all of a sudden.

What new trainer.. he still has rob mccracken and his trainer from the AIBA days...

Looks vulnerable..by winning every round bar one and showboating his chin out to be hit. Solid guard to protect an already broken nose and to nullify lack of head movement which isnt new...he never had head movement.

Was moved along too quickly.. but youll gladly complain with everyone else if he got put in with an opponent of the level you think hes at..no pleasing some people.

Wilder came in against an opponent he had fought before..knew well.. who hadnt trained a single day and was terribly out of shape and not up for the fight at all.

Call a spade a spade.. and admit your biased.

Comment

Point 3 and 4 I definitely agree with.

Also I keep saying it, and I said it before the fight, people underestimating Takam. If you watch his fights with Povetkin and Parker - you can see that this is a guy who has all round ability, and is very durable, good chin.

A guy with a chin, good ability, and skills in the heavyweight division especially is always going to be a problem for people because that package is rare. There are very few people who can take a good heavyweight punch.

Comment

he won every round and dropped takam, a guy who gave povetkin and parker hard nights. why is that being made to be such a bad performance by everyone on here? And what form has wilder shown, correct me if im wrong but im sure washington was something like ranked 30 on boxrec and stiverne is ranked 26 and rankings aside was in atrocious condition and is 39. At least takam is in the top 20.

Comment

he wasnt moved along too quickly, hes won every fight. whats the point in keeping him at fringe level or whatever? Hes shown hes miles ahead of the likes of breazele, moline and even takam considering he won every round against him basically.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    Point 3 and 4 I definitely agree with.

Also I keep saying it, and I said it before the fight, people underestimating Takam. If you watch his fights with Povetkin and Parker - you can see that this is a guy who has all round ability, and is very durable, good chin.

A guy with a chin, good ability, and skills in the heavyweight division especially is always going to be a problem for people because that package is rare. There are very few people who can take a good heavyweight punch.
                    Thank you. I swear people hadnt seen Takam before he fought AJ and just boxrec'ed him.

Joshua beat Takam easier than anyone has before. He gives everyone problems with his stocky build, solid technique, skill and heart. One of those not great in any area, but solid all round type guys. Much better than Stiverne imo.

However. Ive always said that Wilder is a legit fight Joshua. Joshua is tighter than DW with his technique but he still leaves himself open at times and Wilder is obviously a serious hitter. That coupled with his movement, stamina and reach he could easily beat Josh.

I do feel like Joshua would be favourite though. He is an underrated intelligent fighter and he isnt bad at drawing mistakes from his opponents with bait jabs and catching and shooting. His strength and tight punches up close (hooks n uppercuts) are also far ahead of everyone in the division except for Povetkin.

Its a great fight. Hope we see it next year.

Comment

Wouldn't mind either winning tbh. Both are exciting and powerful HWs who can get the mainstream excited. Maybe we see a trilogy? That would be great.

Wilder winning would prove what i have been saying for a long time that 220lbs isnt too small for a modern HW. You sacrafice strength and weight in your shots, but make up for it in speed, movement and stamina. I wish AJ had stayed around 230-240 like when he turned over. Maybe he doesnt have the perfect ko ratio, but he would have a better base to learn the elite boxing skills he might need over his career

Comment

Working...
                      X