Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s resume is outstanding.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    Do you know what all top 10 greats have in common? They all have at least 1 A-level Prime fighter in their resume: Floyd has none.
    He's probably top 50 which is great. I'd say 25-30 given the history of the sport and the quality of prime greats so many have beaten and in some cases multiple times and historical standing in certain divisions is just a little hard to get into. I'd say only Pernell Whitaker of the last 30 years possibly/probably breaks into that.

I think the modern greats of the last 25 years that range somewhere around 40-60 are Jones, Hopkins, Chavez, Marquez, Mayweather, Pacquaio, Holyfield.
    The modern greats that probably range 60-80 probably Toney, Trinidad, Lewis, Barrera and Morales and then the 80-100 the unbeaten Lopez and Calzaghe.

That's 14 fighters which is good but reflects just how long and rich Boxing history is. Too many folks without a real grasp on history try to make claims that are gospel as fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      He also refused to fight Manny for a long time too. I know an old Mosley had toothache or whatever but not sure if the prime Mosley or Oscar's were ever realistic opponents for him.

Did Floyd refuse to fight Crawford, Spence, Thurman, Khan, Casamayor, Johnston, Freitas, Margarito, prime Cotto, Williams due to the risk reward factor? I mean he got in worse and lesser opponents over the same time.

I'm not saying he did but I also am not sure about the validity of Floyd being frozen out and avoided.
      Well if Manny keeps tuning down the fight, I don't know how Floyd refused to fight him. Well that is convenient to say they weren't realistic opponents. It just seems like the posters that hate Floyd will go out of their way to justify these guys not fighting him.

It has been detailed why some of these fights didn't occur. Not fighting them isn't the same as refusing to fight them. If it is the same, all I ask is we do the same with every fighter, not just Floyd.

Before he was the cash cow he clearly couldn't get the fights he asked for. Now if you blame him, then again, just keep it the same for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Djtmal is never going to be honest or show any integrity. He will also never admit being upset that Manny lost. In his mind he is just a fair an unbiased boxing critic. I guess he thinks no one can read his posts.
        Q: After you challenged him, a week later, Mayweather wished you good luck in your career which seemed to indicate he’s not interested in fighting you. He also mentioned that he challenged you twice, and he claims that you turned him down back in 1999 and again in 2006. Did you really turn him down?

A: Like I said, he’s really a liar. He likes to lie a lot. In 1999 there’s a film where he’s fighting in Michigan when he was fighting at 130 and I was fighting at 135, and I asked him, like when HBO does the prefight analysts talk to the fighters before they fight. I talked to him, and hopefully it’s recorded somewhere—I think it was on FX—I asked him, “Are you planning on coming up to lightweight to fight me?” And he said, “No,” He had no intention of coming to lightweight to fight me, he wanted t beat Carlos Monzon’s record. He didn’t want to come to lightweight. That’s when I jumped from lightweight to welterweight to fight Oscar De La Hoya. That was the first incident that he’s talking about, so he turned me down in 1999.

Comment

He's probably top 50 which is great. I'd say 25-30 given the history of the sport and the quality of prime greats so many have beaten and in some cases multiple times and historical standing in certain divisions is just a little hard to get into. I'd say only Pernell Whitaker of the last 30 years possibly/probably breaks into that.

I think the modern greats of the last 25 years that range somewhere around 40-60 are Jones, Hopkins, Chavez, Marquez, Mayweather, Pacquaio, Holyfield.
          The modern greats that probably range 60-80 probably Toney, Trinidad, Lewis, Barrera and Morales and then the 80-100 the unbeaten Lopez and Calzaghe.

That's 14 fighters which is good but reflects just how long and rich Boxing history is. Too many folks without a real grasp on history try to make claims that are gospel as fact.
          Check this thread.

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=653826

In the October issue of Ring magazine they asked 20 writers and historians to list their top 20 fighters since World War 2.
          Points were awarded to each fighter = 20 points for 1st place placing, 19 points for 2nd place ect.
          Here is how the total came out. The number of 1st place votes are in brackets.

1. Ray Robinson - 396pts - (17)
          2. Henry Armstrong - 339 - (1)
          3. Muhammad Ali - 324 - (1)
          4. Roberto Duran - 296
          5. Joe Luis - 293
          6. Ray Leonard - 258
          7. Willie Pep - 246 - (1)
          8. Archie Moore - 189
          9. Julio Cesar Chavez - 171
          10. Ezzard Charles - 164
          11. Perenell Whitaker - 132
          12. Floyd Mayweather Jr - 118

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
          This thread was going well i thought, lot's of interesting posts. until it turned into another Mayweather vs Pacquiao thread. There is already plenty of them on the forum.

Yahoo did their own list not so long ago..i'm not sure if was posted in this thread. Their list was 'best ever' and not 'Since World War II' like the main list in this thread.

The guys voting were :
          Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman, Al Bernstein, Steve Farhood, Rich Marotta, Lou DiBella, Chris Middendorf, Tim Dahlberg, Ed Schuyler Jr, Cliff Rold, Kevin Iole.

* The list was made before Mayweather Vs Pacquiao was done and dusted.

Comment

Well if Manny keeps tuning down the fight, I don't know how Floyd refused to fight him. Well that is convenient to say they weren't realistic opponents. It just seems like the posters that hate Floyd will go out of their way to justify these guys not fighting him.

It has been detailed why some of these fights didn't occur. Not fighting them isn't the same as refusing to fight them. If it is the same, all I ask is we do the same with every fighter, not just Floyd.

Before he was the cash cow he clearly couldn't get the fights he asked for. Now if you blame him, then again, just keep it the same for everyone.
            He wasn't the cash cow when Casamayor, Freitas, Johnston, Margarito, Williams were willing contenders and asked for the fights. He did turn down Margarito but there's excuses why he did so despite a great offer (career high payday to that point).

To the Pacquaio, Nosley, Oscar points well didn't Pacquaio say "**** it" and say he'd do testing around 2011? I seem to remember something like that though I'm not 100%. I stopped paying attention to that saga around 2011.

Oscar was generally two weights above Floyd up until 2006. Oscar was fighting big Welterweight fights in 1999-2000 and big 154-pound fights in 2002-2003 and at Middleweight from 2004-2006. When did Oscar sit down with an offer for a Floyd fight and turn it down? Bare in mind Floyd was a welterweight in 2006 and not before then. The only possible duck between the two was Floyd not going through with the contractually obligated re-match.

Same with Shane. There was a brief time in 98 but no talk of a fight then and Floyd stayed at 130 until 2002 when Shane was moving losing twice to Forrest at 147 and then twice to Wright at 154 in 2004 when Floyd was just moving to 140. The toothache thing was in what, 2007 or 2008? Shane was already pretty used up by then.

You can't say they ducked Floyd but that Floyd didn't duck fights with Freitas, Casamayor, Johnston, Margarito, Williams especially considering they were possible matches due to being in the same weight class. Again, I am NOT saying they were duck jobs but I'm saying you can't say Floyd was ducked by those guys but he didn't duck those guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
              Q: After you challenged him, a week later, Mayweather wished you good luck in your career which seemed to indicate he’s not interested in fighting you. He also mentioned that he challenged you twice, and he claims that you turned him down back in 1999 and again in 2006. Did you really turn him down?

A: Like I said, he’s really a liar. He likes to lie a lot. In 1999 there’s a film where he’s fighting in Michigan when he was fighting at 130 and I was fighting at 135, and I asked him, like when HBO does the prefight analysts talk to the fighters before they fight. I talked to him, and hopefully it’s recorded somewhere—I think it was on FX—I asked him, “Are you planning on coming up to lightweight to fight me?” And he said, “No,” He had no intention of coming to lightweight to fight me, he wanted t beat Carlos Monzon’s record. He didn’t want to come to lightweight. That’s when I jumped from lightweight to welterweight to fight Oscar De La Hoya. That was the first incident that he’s talking about, so he turned me down in 1999.
              http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...imous-decision

Floyd Mayweather stands alone.

Unified welterweight world champion.

The pound-for-pound best.

And king of the era.

Mayweather turned in a vintage performance as he outboxed Manny Pacquiao in a brilliant display to win a unanimous decision in one of the biggest fights in boxing history before a sold-out and star-studded crowd of 16,507 on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Judge Dave Moretti scored the fight 118-110, and judges Glenn Feldman and Burt Clements both had it 116-112. ESPN.com also had it 116-112 for Mayweather, who remains undefeated at 48-0.

Comment

He wasn't the cash cow when Casamayor, Freitas, Johnston, Margarito, Williams were willing contenders and asked for the fights. He did turn down Margarito but there's excuses why he did so despite a great offer (career high payday to that point).

To the Pacquaio, Nosley, Oscar points well didn't Pacquaio say "**** it" and say he'd do testing around 2011? I seem to remember something like that though I'm not 100%. I stopped paying attention to that saga around 2011.

Oscar was generally two weights above Floyd up until 2006. Oscar was fighting big Welterweight fights in 1999-2000 and big 154-pound fights in 2002-2003 and at Middleweight from 2004-2006. When did Oscar sit down with an offer for a Floyd fight and turn it down? Bare in mind Floyd was a welterweight in 2006 and not before then. The only possible duck between the two was Floyd not going through with the contractually obligated re-match.

Same with Shane. There was a brief time in 98 but no talk of a fight then and Floyd stayed at 130 until 2002 when Shane was moving losing twice to Forrest at 147 and then twice to Wright at 154 in 2004 when Floyd was just moving to 140. The toothache thing was in what, 2007 or 2008? Shane was already pretty used up by then.

You can't say they ducked Floyd but that Floyd didn't duck fights with Freitas, Casamayor, Johnston, Margarito, Williams especially considering they were possible matches due to being in the same weight class. Again, I am NOT saying they were duck jobs but I'm saying you can't say Floyd was ducked by those guys but he didn't duck those guys.
                Maybe Floyd should've fought Johnston. Pwill getting upset by Matthysse kind of derailed the fight but ok. It's crazy that you call fighting for the lineal WW title for more money is an excuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/sl...ducking-fights

A) Joel Casamayor. In 2000-01 Mayweather and Casamayor were the two premier 130lbs boxers in the world and it is of course disappointing that they didn't face off. However, the fault is not Mayweather's.

Mayweather tried to make a bout with Casamayor but the Cuban preferred to wait until he had unified with WBO champion Acelino Freitas (at a time when the WBO was starting to gain some recognition as a legitimate world title) so he could demand a bigger purse. Casamayor would go on to lose to Freitas, Freitas would turn down the bout with Mayweather, and Mayweather would move up to 135lbs for his first bout with Castillo and quickly outgrow 130lbs.
                I think you are somewhat mistaken.

Like I said, it seems that you are more than willing to justify guys not fighting him. Seems unfair but it is what it is. As long as its done with everyone I really shouldn't ***** about it.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Check this thread.

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=653826

In the October issue of Ring magazine they asked 20 writers and historians to list their top 20 fighters since World War 2.
                  Points were awarded to each fighter = 20 points for 1st place placing, 19 points for 2nd place ect.
                  Here is how the total came out. The number of 1st place votes are in brackets.

1. Ray Robinson - 396pts - (17)
                  2. Henry Armstrong - 339 - (1)
                  3. Muhammad Ali - 324 - (1)
                  4. Roberto Duran - 296
                  5. Joe Luis - 293
                  6. Ray Leonard - 258
                  7. Willie Pep - 246 - (1)
                  8. Archie Moore - 189
                  9. Julio Cesar Chavez - 171
                  10. Ezzard Charles - 164
                  11. Perenell Whitaker - 132
                  12. Floyd Mayweather Jr - 118
                  Post WW II is 1945 on so some greats perhaps a dozen or so not eligible for that poll but not a terrible list.

I can nitpick a few. I can't see JCC over Pete or no Jofre or Ortiz and others (Monzon, Hagler, Hearns etc) but that's opinion and may vary based on who was polled.

Comment

Post WW II is 1945 on so some greats perhaps a dozen or so not eligible for that poll but not a terrible list.

I can nitpick a few. I can't see JCC over Pete or no Jofre or Ortiz and others (Monzon, Hagler, Hearns etc) but that's opinion and may vary based on who was polled.
                    Cool. yeah, there are always things up for debate. I just posted it to show there are a group of people that seem to fairly evaluate his career.

Hagler was right behind floyd. The full list is in the thread.

Comment

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...imous-decision

Floyd Mayweather stands alone.

Unified welterweight world champion.

The pound-for-pound best.

And king of the era.

Mayweather turned in a vintage performance as he outboxed Manny Pacquiao in a brilliant display to win a unanimous decision in one of the biggest fights in boxing history before a sold-out and star-studded crowd of 16,507 on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Judge Dave Moretti scored the fight 118-110, and judges Glenn Feldman and Burt Clements both had it 116-112. ESPN.com also had it 116-112 for Mayweather, who remains undefeated at 48-0.
                      Pacquaio was a bit used up by then though lets be honest. Marquez jumping two divisions should have got the decision in 2011 by 116-112 score against Pacquaio while he was still great. He obviously knocked him silly the following year and realistically that was that as far as Pacquaio the great fighter goes.

Comment

Working...
                      X