No announcement yet.

Heavyweight Schedule for 2018

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
    Chambers is a skilled guy and one of the less protected fighters out there. His resume is very impressive, and with the exception of the brothers, I see him winning against whoever he's matched against, including Povetkin.
    What saddens me most about Eddie is that he's a skilled and decent fighter and a sympathic guy too but hasn't got to win a title since he's persistent on staying at heavyweight, were he's up against two men that he just has so little chance on beating, despite his talent. If he were to decide to move down to cruiserweight (which he really could given his size) he could easily get himself one or two world titles in short time, something to be proud of and to add up to his legacy. The other chance for a title would be to challenge Povetkin, which would be a really interesting and fairly even matchup, and the WBA regular is still better than nothing.

Comment

Decent schedule ahead! I'm looking to Barrett-Tua 3. Both those fights really delivered.
      Friday Ahunanya hasn't won a fight since 2008, but he's only been stopped once; If Perez blows him out it will be a good statement.

I was so disappointed Chambers-Thompson didn't happen, but Chambers-Liakhovich a damn good fight too.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
        Updated opening post.

I've removed the Abdusalamov vs. Walker fight, which sadly been cancelled.

Arreola is going Feb 18th on the undercard of PWill Ishida

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          By request, I have made a new heavyweight schedule thread and I will update it regularly throughout 2012.

January

Sat. 7th

Francesco Pianeta - Zack Page

Fri. 13th

Eric "Butterbean" Esch - Curt Allan

Larry Olubamiwo - Sam Sexton

Sat. 14th

Kubrat Pulev - Taras Bidenko

Sat. 21st:

Eddie Chambers - Sergiy Lyakhovich

David Price - John McDermott

Fri. 27th:

Erkan Teper - Varol Vekiloglu

Sat. 28th:

Brian Minto - Tony Grano

Ruslan Chagaev - TBA
          Denis Boytsov-TBA

February

Fri. 3th:

Artur Szpilka - Terrance Marbra

Sat. 4th

Chazz Witherspoon - TBA

Fri. 10th:

Joe Hanks - TBA

Sat. 11th:

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson - TBA

Fri. 17th

Mike Mollo - TBA

Sat. 18th:

Vitali Klitschko - Dereck Chisora

Chris Arreola - TBA

Sat. 25th

Alexander Povetkin - Marco Huck

Wed. 29th:

Kali Meehan - Kertson Manswell

March

Sat. 3rd:

Wladimir Klitschko - Jean-Marc Mormeck

Sat. 17th

Alonzo Butler - TBA

Tyson Fury - TBA

Sat 24th

David Rodriguez - TBA

Fri. 30th

Mariusz Wach - Tye Fields

Sat 31st

David Tua - Monte Barrett III
          good fights coming in next 3 months

Comment

By James Slater: The country of Germany really has become THE place to see world heavyweight title fights as of late. Many of the Klitschko brothers fights have taken place in Deutschland (three of Vitali’s last four bouts, Wladimir’s last six fights), and we have also seen “regular” World Boxing Association (WBA) heavyweight champ Alexander Povetkin win his belt in the country.

German fight fans are in for a busy schedule of heavyweight action starting on February 18th and finishing on March 3rd. First up will be the latest defence by WBC king Vitali Klitschko, who will face determined Brit Dereck Chisora in Munich. There are not too many fans or experts out there willing to give “Del Boy” much more than an outside chance, but Chisora sure made “next big thing” Robert Helenius look ordinary back on Dec. 3rd.

If that same fit and focused Chisora turns up on Feb. 18th we may have a very interesting fight on our hands. Vitali is head and shoulders above “The Nordic Nightmare” but Chisora at least proved he can cope well against a big, tall guy. Of the three upcoming heavyweight title fights set for Germany in the three weekend schedule, this match-up looks the most appealing from where I am.

The following Saturday, in Stuttgart, WBO cruiserweight ruler Marco Huck steps up in weight to tackle the aforementioned Povetkin. Huck feels he is big enough and good enough to not only beat the undefeated Russian star, but to also be able to move on and defeat Wladimir Klitschko. The Povetkin-Huck fight could well be an exciting affair, with the two “small” heavyweights being quite evenly matched in both speed and power. I can see Huck taking a hard-fought points win. Whether or not “Kap’n” Huck then goes ahead with his planned challenge of Wladimir will depend largely on what happens in Dusseldorf on March 3rd.

This is the night the postponed Wladimir-Jean Marc Mormeck fight will take place. Mormeck of France is seen by practically everyone as a doomed fighter going into this one. Unless “Dr. Steel Hammer” makes the unlikely mistake of underestimating the former cruiserweight boss, Mormeck does appear to have the proverbial snowball in hell’s chance of winning. The younger Klitschko is notoriously cautious in his fights but we could see a rare early KO win for the Ring Magazine, IBF, WBA, WBO ruler here.

There was a time when almost all the world heavyweight title fight action went down in the U.S. How times have changed. So far, there is just one heavyweight fight of note set for America in 2012, this being the Jan. 21st clash between contenders Eddie Chambers and Siarhei Liakhovich in Philly.

Will we ever see a massive heavyweight title clash in America again? I have nothing against the big German shows we are seeing, but there really was something special about two big men going at it under the bright lights of Las Vegas or inside the great arena that is Madison Square Garden in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
              Chambers is a skilled guy and one of the less protected fighters out there. His resume is very impressive, and with the exception of the brothers, I see him winning against whoever he's matched against, including Povetkin.
              Yeah, Povetkin seems to have regressed since his fight with Chambers, and Chambers was winning that fight until he stopped throwing punches (maybe he gassed, I don't know), so I'd take Chambers in a rematch too. But Povetkin will avoid that fight like the plague, like he's doing with the Klitschkos.

Comment

I love the Heavyweight division and 2012 is shaping up very nicely.

I hope David Price stays active. Look forward to Huck-Povetkin and Chisora-Vitali.

I hope we see more of that Glazkov guy. He's 27 (IIRC) and has looked decent.

Comment

Good to see Abdusalamov found a replacement, although is that Pedro Rodriguez guy any good? Would have prefered Walker.
                  Last edited by Pirao; 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                    By request, I have made a new heavyweight schedule thread and I will update it regularly throughout 2012.

January

Sat. 7th

Francesco Pianeta - Zack Page (Germany Sport1)

Fri. 13th

Eric "Butterbean" Esch - Curt Allan

Larry Olubamiwo - Sam Sexton

Sat. 14th

Kubrat Pulev - Michael Sprott (Germany ARD, Poland PolSat)

Sat. 21st:

Eddie Chambers - Sergiy Lyakhovich (US Versus)

Chauncy Welliver - Moyoyo Mensah

David Price - John McDermott (UK SKY)

Fri. 27th:

Erkan Teper - Varol Vekiloglu

Sat. 28th:

Brian Minto - Tony Grano

Derric Rossy - TBA

Ruslan Chagaev - TBA (Germany Sport1)
                    Denis Boytsov-TBA (Germany Sport1)

February

Fri. 3th:

Artur Szpilka - Terrance Marbra (US ESPN2)
                    Magomed Abdusalamov - Pedro Rodriguez (US ESPN2)

Sat. 4th

Chazz Witherspoon - TBA

Fri. 10th:

Joe Hanks - Rafael Pedro (US ESPN2)

Sat. 11th:

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson - TBA

Christian Hammer - TBA
                    Michael Wallisch - TBA

Fri. 17th

Mike Mollo - TBA

Sat. 18th:

Vitali Klitschko - Dereck Chisora (Germany RTL, UK BoxNation)

Chris Arreola - TBA (US Showtime)

Sat. 25th

Alexander Povetkin - Marco Huck (Germany ARD, Poland PolSat)

Wed. 29th:

Kali Meehan - Kertson Manswell

March

Sat. 3rd:

Wladimir Klitschko - Jean-Marc Mormeck (Germany RTL)

Sat. 17th

Alonzo Butler - TBA

Tyson Fury - TBA

Sat 24th

David Rodriguez - TBA

Fri. 30th

Mariusz Wach - Tye Fields

Sat 31st

David Tua - Monte Barrett III
                    good job with this list. lots of good fights coming in the next few months. shannon briggs can be added & david rodriguez probably won't fight. i hope he can because i want him stepping up.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
                      I'm eagerly anticipating Chisora-Vitali, and looking forward to Pulev-Bidenko, Price-McDermott, Lyakhovich-Chambers, Povetkin-Huck and Wach-Fields.
                      That is one incredibly shitty selection of fights.

You have the worst taste in boxing i've ever seen, Tunney.

Comment

Working...
                      X