No announcement yet.

Steve collins?--Someone who was around tell me about him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve collins?--Someone who was around tell me about him

WHo was this guy? How good was he? Two wins over eubank Sr.

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
    He was good, not great, but he came good relatively late in his career. Beat Eubank and Benn, two good, if flawed, middleweights who had a very high profile in the UK. Held the WBO which wasn't the best belt. Famously chased Roy Jones but it never happened. Had a massive Irish support which followed him wherever. Bet he never has to buy a drink in any pub in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
      He was good, not great, but he came good relatively late in his career. Beat Eubank and Benn, two good, if flawed, middleweights who had a very high profile in the UK. Held the WBO which wasn't the best belt. Famously chased Roy Jones but it never happened. Had a massive Irish support which followed him wherever. Bet he never has to buy a drink in any pub in Ireland.
      WHy didn;t roy fight him?

Comment

Nasty piece of work is collins. A story was hushed up about him sticking a toilet brush into a billy goats backside. The wrongun

Comment

WHy didn;t roy fight him?
          Not enough $$$ in the fight, Roy was looking at bigger names like McCallum and Hill. Collins was a really solid fighter I told everyone he was better than Eubank and Benn back when he was fighting the likes of McCallum and Kalambay. Very rugged and tough, good work rate, and always very good at sticking to a game plan, no one had an easy night with Collins, he’d have had zero chance against prime RJJ though. The one fight I’d have liked to see Collins have was against the up and coming Joe Calzaghe who was Collins’ mandatory in 96/97, I actually would’ve picked Steve to beat that version of Joe. Would’ve been a great fight though.

Comment

Great fighter.....

Comment

he was a good solid fighter. he lost to mccallum, reggie johnson, and kalambay but was able to pick off faded eubank(recently schooled by schommer) and faded benn(recently schooled by malinga) so his profile was massively raised off of those wins. reminds me of calzaghe over hopkins and jones jr cept at least collins took chances against prime fighters earlier just came up short. also shows how overrated people make fighters based on beating past it fighters.

Comment

A solid fighter. More graft than craft but he had a respectable skillset. Eubank was shopworn when he fought him but they were good wins. A couple of notches below the elite SMWs but did alright for himself.

Comment

Beat Eubank AND Benn. I wouldn't call him a legend, but he was a serious threat at the time.

Comment

how close was the eubank fight? only ever seen highlights of it, and can recall that collins was dropped very heavily and typically Eubank decided to showboat for the remainder of the round and not even attempt to finish him off...

Comment

Working...
                    X