Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tommy Morrison Versus Mike Tyson compare and contrast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall watching Morrison literally punch and run from Foreman for most of the fight. One of the most pathetic and unimpressive wins I had seen to that point. He would not have been able to get away with that strategy against a prime Tyson. It would be Merced x2.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      We will take your word for truth in this world, Ray. That's good enough for us. I know I speak for all the boys.
      What the heck are you going on about???

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        I recall watching Morrison literally punch and run from Foreman for most of the fight. One of the most pathetic and unimpressive wins I had seen to that point. He would not have been able to get away with that strategy against a prime Tyson. It would be Merced x2.
        --- Hmmm, you talkin' Ali punch and run vs Liston?

Maybe you ain't got the email, but that's the new American style currently killing boxing.

The only thing we need to know is Tommy and Mike both major league sluggers living out of control and were ready to fight until Tommy had his license pulled because of AIDS.

I would pick Mike in that fight, but who can really say?

Comment

he was never much good, morrison. without the unrecognised wbo, he'd have been another fringe guy who didnt manage to land a title shot. And thats even with all the exposure that a major boxing movie franchise gave him.

meanwhile, mike became undisputed barely outta high school, with a little help from a smart coach.

the difference is the grand canyon
          Last edited by DreamFighter; 06-20-2018, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
            he was never much good, morrison. without the unrecognised wbo, he'd have been another fringe guy who didnt manage to land a title shot. And thats even with all the exposure that a major boxing movie franchise gave him.

meanwhile, mike became undisputed barely outta high school, with a little help from a smart coach.

The Rocky movie went a long way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post

I disagree.

You know when you see a great fighter, most people do not realize the first part of that equation, before that guy made it... all that went down in making that guy so great. In the old days fighers fought more and could make more corrections... so a guy like the Cindarella man (braddock) who used his experience and an injury to develop his other hand, would have never gotten a second chance in an era when guys fight so infrequently.

Fighters today cannot afford an Adrien Broner moment... So when we see how a fighter is brought along, often we are seeing the very best of the fighter. And it takes so much luck, physical resistance, and strength to fufill even some potential... Fighters like Fernando Vargus who was brought up right, and looked superb, never get a chance again to go back to point A...

If one looks at Morrison coming up he was excellent. He had strength and accuracy, including a left hook that could catch a guy behind the elbow of his guard... he had strength, he looked great, and so did Mike Tyson coming up. Neither guy fufilled what could have been a better destiny but thats life right?

Tyson was ultimately better but I don't believe they were so far apart that if Morrison had a few more breaks, had the right people to work on his defensive skills, that he would not have looked a lot stronger.

Comment

Morrison was a product of the ages: Guys like Robinson had women, wine and song, yet managed to stay on the rails...was it because they fought more? I don't know.

Morrison just stopped doing the things that made him win fights properly at a certain point.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Morrison was a product of the ages: Guys like Robinson had women, wine and song, yet managed to stay on the rails...was it because they fought more? I don't know.

Morrison just stopped doing the things that made him win fights properly at a certain point.
                  I think in that fight he was just legit scared of Foreman and didn't want to get hit. At least that is the way he fought that night.

Comment

--- Let's put it this way, Tommy fought about 500% better'n Ali. Ali was ruined after that fight. See Wepner et al...

Comment

I think in that fight he was just legit scared of Foreman and didn't want to get hit. At least that is the way he fought that night.
                      Juggernaught has brought up the fact that Foreman...the second coming of Big George, was really very scary. He was very big, and because of his girth kind of hard to hit, but when he caught you it could be a disaster. So it makes sense.

Oh I also wanted to say...Imagine a prime Tyson with short arms and his size, trying to get at big George! It might have been a challenge of sorts.

Comment

Working...
                      X