Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Artur Beterbiev Loses Legal Case, Bound To GYM Until 2021

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the promoter promised 4 fights a year but did not deliver, how is he not in violation of the contract? If only 2 year contracts are allowed, but he locked Beterbiev up for either 4 or 6 years depending on if it started in 2015 or 2017, then how is he not in violation of the contract?

Either way, I just hope to see Beterbiev fighting the top guys. Michel and Al Haymon absolutely ruined this man's career and wasted away his entire prime.

But, it seems like most promoters are doing this with the European fighters, almost as if it's planned. This way, they are able to protect all the North American fighters, most of which are not as good and would lose if they fought guys like Beterbiev, but who the promoters believe, perhaps falsely, make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
      If the promoter promised 4 fights a year but did not deliver, how is he not in violation of the contract? If only 2 year contracts are allowed, but he locked Beterbiev up for either 4 or 6 years depending on if it started in 2015 or 2017, then how is he not in violation of the contract?

Either way, I just hope to see Beterbiev fighting the top guys. Michel and Al Haymon absolutely ruined this man's career and wasted away his entire prime.

But, it seems like most promoters are doing this with the European fighters, almost as if it's planned. This way, they are able to protect all the North American fighters, most of which are not as good and would lose if they fought guys like Beterbiev, but who the promoters believe, perhaps falsely, make more money.

Because Beterbiev's actions inhibited him from fighting 4 times a year - through no fault of the promoter.

He wanted to pursue an IBF title, and thus had to fight on their terms.

A lot of times these are in contracts, and aren't "fulfilled' simply because the boxer is the one who turned down fights, got injured, etc.

Also - I know it seems so unfair to the boxer to be locked up for these long terms... But you have to realize often the promoter takes huge risks and offers up-front compensation - sometimes very large sums - to secure the rights to promote the fighter. They often times pay for their training camps, give them living stipends, etc.

Often times, promoters lose money on boxers.

The promoter looks at it like an investment - a long-term investment that may not pay dividends until the last few fights of that boxer's contract, after he has moved into a position to generate millions in revenue.
      Last edited by Cheek busting; 06-08-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
        Great news if true. That would mean Kovalev, Beterbiev, and Bivol are all with HBO. I'd love to see Kovalev-Beterbiev after Kovalev-Alvarez. Then give me Kovalev-Bivol after that. Would give Kovalev a chance to re-unify the 3 belts he lost to Ward.
        ... should probably read the story again

Comment

I am so sorry Mr. Beterbiev! Appeal to Mr. Espinoza and Showtime! Get a translator, and use the media to force a fight with Stevenson or Badou Jack! That's the least GYM can do to make up for all the lost time! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Satir View Post
            fckng Michel stall and amost ruined Beterbievs career, just like what they did to Golovkin in Germany
            Michel has Stevenson, Beterbiev, and Alvarez, all likely to be world champion soon, imo.

Pump the brakes, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
              WTF??? 4 fights per year and 6 year contract??? Thats some BS!
              He extended the contract, likely for 4 years and most promoters have a clause that if they get their boxer to a world title - it extends the contract for a few years - which prevents a situation like this, where a boxer gains a world title and tries to jump ship to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                Zero mention of HBO
                Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                ... should probably read the story again
                to both this is where he mentioned HBO deal. Hope it clear confusion!

"We're directly going on the HBO network," said Michel. "I had many discussions with the boss of this channel, Peter Nelson. We could then think of unification shocks against Dmitry Bivol or Sergey Kovalev. "

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...beterbiev-mais
                Last edited by iNixus; 06-08-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Because he agreed to go thru the IBF elimination process. Cant get 4 fights a year if nobody will agree to fight you

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                    Great news if true. That would mean Kovalev, Beterbiev, and Bivol are all with HBO. I'd love to see Kovalev-Beterbiev after Kovalev-Alvarez. Then give me Kovalev-Bivol after that. Would give Kovalev a chance to re-unify the 3 belts he lost to Ward.
                    Yeah, great news!
                    Back to be mismanaged and inactive for his remaining years.

Comment

From what the article said, it seemed that the judge saw the decision to follow the path to the IBF belt (and jumping through those hoops) as keeping with the agreement.

Beterbiev debuted at 28 years old after a stellar amateur career; in 4 years, he's at the IBF world title.

Still, folks are ignoring the forest for the trees; Stevenson is 40 years old (the power is still real, and folks ignore the man's grit, but age is finally getting to him; maybe has 2-4 fights left at the top level), Eleider Alvarez is 34 years old (after a pro career approaching 10 years), and Beterbiev is 33.

Alvarez beats Kovalev and boxing at 175lbs moves to Montreal for the next little while; Yvon Michel has been in boxing for too long not to have a plan, and if the aim is to consolidate the belts under one of the three, the choice is pretty darn obvious (no idea what his English or French sounds like, but a good translator can overcome that; folks will tune in to see him fight anyway).

Comment

Working...
                      X