No announcement yet.

Like it or Not, Combat Sports Needs Hypejobs to Thrive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    So because of that skills doesn't equal commercial success. That's where the hyoejob comes into play. The hype job has a personality or a look to put butts in seats. They aren't the best in the sport (some actually justify their hype to a degree).
    I understand what you're trying to say but the highest earner in the sport is Mayweather, followed by Pacquiao. Their success was built on doing the business in the ring throughout a long career, not a media hype machine. Eventually they earned the most because they were the best.

Now i know that pattern doesn't follow throughout boxing. A guy like Crawford might end up being a great fighter but make little money but i think when you're exceptionally gifted like Manny or Floyd, you will rise to the top regardless and earn a lot of money.

So in my opinion, it doesn't need hypejobs as much as it needs more special fighters like Floyd and Manny because they're the ones who keep the spotlight on the sport in the end, not your Adrien Broners of the world.

Don't get me wrong though, i agree with you to some extent because it makes us tune in, often wanting them to get beat if we believe they are just hype.

I think it needs hypejobs to keep it ticking over but dont underestimate the need for genuine special talent. That is essential.

Comment

This thread seems so redundant.

Comment

u gonna take that, Hype job??

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
          u gonna take that, Hype job??

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
            Don't get me wrong I hate hypejobs. I see fighters everyday better than Adrien Broner but they can't stay out of jail, they have **** personalities and nobody wants to risk investing in them.

But combat sports needs hypejobs. It's not like team sports where fans can connect to a city, a logo and a mascot. Fans need to connect with the individual enough to pay money to see them fight. Winning isn't good enough in combat sports. It has a WWE aspect to it.

So because of that skills doesn't equal commercial success. That's where the hyoejob comes into play. The hype job has a personality or a look to put butts in seats. They aren't the best in the sport (some actually justify their hype to a degree).

But they bring so much attention to the sport, that they create opportunities for the more skilled, lesser known fighters to make good money and build their own selves up.

Perfect example, where would Maidana be today if Broner didn't exist? Would Holly Holm have ever made it to this stage without a rival hyoejob?

So instead of complaining.... Embrace the hypejob!
            I get where your coming from and it makes sense... but combat sports doesn't need "hype jobs". It needs skilled fighters that have a character outside of the ring that people, especially the media, can react to. Whether it's a negative or positive reaction, it doesn't matter. I'll give you three key examples:

ALI: Stood up for the beliefs that he and his people shared. It caused a great stir, some people loved him for it and some hated him for it. But they all knew about it.

Mayweather: The money persona. Throwing cash in the strip club, betting $10,000,000, driving 4 Bugatti's... even beating his girlfriend. Most people hate it, but we all know about it.

Pacquiao The boxing world hooked onto him because his work in the ring. But ultimately, he became a global star because he was linked to Floyd Mayweather. He was the guy who was meant to beat him. And character is what made Floyd a global star. Would Pacquiao be as big of a star without Floyd in his era? Probably not.

All publicity is good publicity my friend. Just imagine if Andre Ward had character.
            Last edited by Bozbay; 11-16-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -DEfiance View Post
              No they don't. What they need are athletes who set an example that the people can follow and be inspired by. Hype jobs surface when those types of caliber individuals are in short supply.

The NBA is a much bigger sport than boxing. Is Steph Curry a hype Job? Is Lebron James a hype job?

That's one of the reason boxing has been in decline because we ran out of ali's duran's, leonards etc, and have become a sport of hype jobs.
              But this is the perfect example of what he's trying to say. The greatest player of the current era (last 20 yrs) is Tim Duncan. Because he was never interested in being hyped, he's much less known and gathers significantly less respect than the flashier players in the NBA. If the whole NBA consisted of Tim Duncans, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is today. You need the Lakers/Celtics rivalries, the Decisions, the fo', fo', fo', the Black Mamba personality. That's what drives interest in the sport.

Comment

Working...
              X