No announcement yet.

Carlos Monzon vs Bob Foster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Monzon vs Bob Foster

When Monzon ruled the middleweights and foster ruled the lightheavyweights, this fight was a fight fans dream, it was often spoke about but never happend! For me its the best fight of the 70's not to happen! I would give the 6 foot 1 bull strong monzon a good chance in upsetting foster. What are your thoughts on this match up?
    Last edited by Joey Giardello; 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM.

Bob Foster would have done to Carlos Monzon what Frazier & Ali did to him. No fighter who greatly relies on their height and reach would have a significant chance against an all-time great a weight division above who similarly relies on their physical advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      Bob Foster would have done to Carlos Monzon what Frazier & Ali did to him. No fighter who greatly relies on their height and reach would have a significant chance against an all-time great a weight division above who similarly relies on their physical advantages.
      You can't just say that. Due to Bob Foster having pour success when moving up in weight that dosen't mean Monzon automatically will have pour success when moving up in weight.

Aswell as his physical advantges Monzon had great power, great chin, great stamina and a sound boxing brain.

I think Monzon would have a fair chance here at moving up to 175lb and beating Foster. But you just made it out to be a mismatch.

Comment

I don't see how Monzon would get past Foster's jab and reach. I don't think Monzon would hurt Foster either. But at the same time Monzon had good enough defence and whiskers to last the distance. I wonder what would have happened in rounds 13-15?

Foster by unanimous decision

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
          You can't just say that. Due to Bob Foster having pour success when moving up in weight that dosen't mean Monzon automatically will have pour success when moving up in weight.

Aswell as his physical advantges Monzon had great power, great chin, great stamina and a sound boxing brain.

I think Monzon would have a fair chance here at moving up to 175lb and beating Foster. But you just made it out to be a mismatch.
          Because Monzon relies very much on the same advantages that Foster relied on, and that's why Foster didn't have the same success against the likes of Ali & Terrell, and also why Monzon wouldn't have much success against Foster either.

We have a great, tall and reachy fighter for his weight in Carlos Monzon (6 feet tall, 76 inch reach), fighting a great, taller and reachier fighter in Bob Foster (6'3, 80 inch reach). There's a good reason why Monzon never moved up and it's because of that. He wouldn't have been as successful. This doesn't diminish any of his accomplishments because at 160 lbs he was the king, but Bob Foster was the king at 175 lbs.
          Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            Because Monzon relies very much on the same advantages that Foster relied on, and that's why Foster didn't have the same success against the likes of Ali & Terrell, and also why Monzon wouldn't have much success against Foster either.

We have a great, tall and reachy fighter for his weight in Carlos Monzon (6 feet tall, 76 inch reach), fighting a great, taller and reachier fighter in Bob Foster (6'3, 80 inch reach). There's a good reason why Monzon never moved up and it's because of that. He wouldn't have been as successful. This doesn't diminish any of his accomplishments because at 160 lbs he was the king, but Bob Foster was the king at 175 lbs.
            That sums it up perfectly.

Comment

Working...
            X