Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What performance enhancing drug did Ali take?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What performance enhancing drug did Ali take?

Not an accusation but I remember reading an interview about a drug Ali took for his stamina or something during his 210 days but looking through the internet now can't find any trace of it. I think it was legal at the time.

He was taking thyroid meds before the holmes fight to lose weight.

You could argue whether or not its healthy and enhanced performance but it would certainly be banned under todays rules

Comment

everything available at this time

Comment

Originally posted by Commie View Post
        everything available at this time
        As ridiculous as it sounds, it's probably right. At least, it's hard to disprove.

Ali might have taken steroids and amphetamines.

Using PEDs in Boxing, Baseball, horse/dog racing is an old thing.

How effective they were can be argued. Ali clearly didn't depend on anything to the extent that guys like Tyson, Holyfield and Jones did.

But testing in his era was also less refined.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          As ridiculous as it sounds, it's probably right. At least, it's hard to disprove.

Ali might have taken steroids and amphetamines.

Using PEDs in Boxing, Baseball, horse/dog racing is an old thing.

How effective they were can be argued. Ali clearly didn't depend on anything to the extent that guys like Tyson, Holyfield and Jones did.

But testing in his era was also less refined.
          Look at the style, its not the style that would gain like a physical fighter would gain.

I feel way too people think that a PED is a silver bullet, if it were only that easy bums would be monsters.

Put Lara and Manny on the same Peds who do you think is going show the more extraordinary explosive result .

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
            Look at the style, its not the style that would gain like a physical fighter would gain.

I feel way too people think that a PED is a silver bullet, if it were only that easy bums would be monsters.

Put Lara and Manny on the same Peds who do you think is going show the more extraordinary explosive result .
            You can use them to train longer or harder to really perfect the skills. They'd also help that style with speed and stamina.

PED's work for everyone but only exageratte what is genetically available and the work put in. Hence why not everyone on steroids looks like Arnie.

They certainly would help make you a better boxer though.

Comment

I dunno, never been a big PEDs follower. I don't understand what y'all get out of it. I don't even really understand the idea behind PEDs = cheating to be honest.

It's science, if boxer A hires a better chemist than boxer B how is that anymore unfair advantage than the trainer, cutman, or any other form of back cast member?

I've never heard " This fight is not fair because boxer A only has access to soviet era equipment while boxer B has used cutting edge tech since his debut" ever

If a fighter hires a physicist on his training team is that unfair too?

Everyone has a nutritionist, is it unfair to have a clearly better and more successful one?

Oh but chemistry, that's the devil is it?

On top of that, not one single drug testing agency actually pays to have clinical trials prior to banning substances. All they do is find out what is popular among athletes and ban that substance. If flintstones vitamins became really popular they'd ban that **** too. That's what happened to Pov. Substance was okay, then, too popular let's ban it, Pov gets popped.

Also, since they don't bother to run clinic trials it's very difficult for them to get a court to agree. Fighters with the backing can 'cheat' all they want because without real proof of wrongdoing you'll be hard pressed to find a kangaroo court willing to take a man's livelihood.....Mister Whyte.

All it is, is idealism sold to idealists that has only one practical function; keeping poor boxers with less backing down.

Comment

If Ali had access to steroids and HGH he'd still be undisputed today!!! ALI GOAT!!!

Rumble old man rumble!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  I dunno, never been a big PEDs follower. I don't understand what y'all get out of it. I don't even really understand the idea behind PEDs = cheating to be honest.

It's science, if boxer A hires a better chemist than boxer B how is that anymore unfair advantage than the trainer, cutman, or any other form of back cast member?

I've never heard " This fight is not fair because boxer A only has access to soviet era equipment while boxer B has used cutting edge tech since his debut" ever

Everyone has a nutritionist, is it unfair to have a clearly better and more successful one?

On top of that, not one single drug testing agency actually pays to have clinical trials prior to banning substances. All they do is find out what is popular among athletes and ban that substance. If flintstones vitamins became really popular they'd ban that **** too. That's what happened to Pov. Substance was okay, then, too popular let's ban it, Pov gets popped.

Also, since they don't bother to run clinic trials it's very difficult for them to get a court to agree. Fighters with the backing can 'cheat' all they want because without real proof of wrongdoing you'll be hard pressed to find a kangaroo court willing to take a man's livelihood.....Mister Whyte.

All it is, is idealism sold to idealists that has only one practical function; keeping poor boxers with less backing down.
                  I understand the banning of really dangerous/harming substances. You shouldn't have to take something that'll make you heart explode in ten years just to remain competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

you should talk to Michael Bisping.

Comment

Working...
                    X